How restrictive is the Go App?
1175 11 2018-4-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Pabloottawa
lvl.1
Canada

Hello everyone,

Very new to the world of drones and pulled the trigger on the Mavic Pro. I've heard some stories about the latest update to the DJI GO app and how it prevents you from fying the drone if it detects that you are in a certain area like for example within 5kms of an airfield.... How true is this and can this feature be over-ridden or disabled. I only ask because as I read some of the drone rules perttaining to flying in Canada and especially in my province of Ontario, I would only be able to fly in remote barren areas.... One of the reasons I bought the Mavic Pro was to film a car chase as well as taking land scaping photos. Also, after a few very windy days here in Ottawa my wife was concerned that we may have lost a shingle or two so I'd like to fly up to the roof and have a look, take some pics for the builder and insurance.

I read a few posts on other forums asking about the new laws in Canada and one person said that it really boils down to common sense. Fly prudently and respecfully and you should have no problems.

So back to the app.... Is it true you're just locked out in a lot of areas?

Cheers and thanks
2018-4-9
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13877205 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Yep - it's called geofencing - you can contact DJI to have the geo lifted temporarily if you are in a NFZ but you'll need a very good reason why. Flying a drone near an active airport is illegal.
2018-4-9
Use props
Pabloottawa
lvl.1

A CW Posted at 2018-4-9 07:35
Yep - it's called geofencing - you can contact DJI to have the geo lifted temporarily if you are in a NFZ but you'll need a very good reason why. Flying a drone near an active airport is illegal.

Thanks  for the reply,

So is it just for airfields?
2018-4-9
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Pabloottawa Posted at 2018-4-9 07:45
Thanks  for the reply,

So is it just for airfields?

Prisons, land marks, aerodromes, airports - even temporary NFZ's if the Queen is popping over for a wave.
2018-4-9
Use props
Pabloottawa
lvl.1
Canada

A CW Posted at 2018-4-9 07:48
Prisons, land marks, aerodromes, airports - even temporary NFZ's if the Queen is popping over for a wave.

OK,

Obviously all of that makes sense so not a huge concern. With that in mind I can definitely operate it and have fun vs always being locked out. I was afraid I wouldn’t be able to fly it near my house. If I need to fly it in my neighbourhood I will definitely advise my neighbors so they don’t worry too much.

Thank you again.
2018-4-9
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Pabloottawa Posted at 2018-4-9 07:53
OK,

Obviously all of that makes sense so not a huge concern. With that in mind I can definitely operate it and have fun vs always being locked out. I was afraid I wouldn’t be able to fly it near my house. If I need to fly it in my neighbourhood I will definitely advise my neighbors so they don’t worry too much.

Download the app now and see if any pop up in the academy section under NFZ's
2018-4-9
Use props
LoSBoL
Second Officer
Flight distance : 666483 ft
Netherlands

You can check the types of NFZ's in your area, and what type of aircraft behavior you can expect on the DJI NFZ website: https://www.dji.com/flysafe/geo-map

Do mind though, you're officially bound to official issued NFZ's though, that DJI let's you take off, doesn't give you the official right to do so.
2018-4-9
Use props
Pabloottawa
lvl.1
Canada

LoSBoL Posted at 2018-4-9 08:06
You can check the types of NFZ's in your area, and what type of behavior  you can expect on the DJI NFZ website: https://www.dji.com/flysafe/geo-map

Do mind though, you're officially bound to official issued NFZ's though, that DJI let's you take off, doesn't give you the official right to do so.

Yes of course. This is great info, thank you! and I agree, It's like driving fast.... Your car can do 160 but it doesn't mean you should drive that fast. I just like having the choice vs leaving up to a piece of software to decide where you can and can't fly.
2018-4-9
Use props
Pabloottawa
lvl.1
Canada

A CW Posted at 2018-4-9 07:55
Download the app now and see if any pop up in the academy section under NFZ's

I will have to do that tonight when I get home. so far in the Ottawa area it's not too bad as the only truly restricted NFZs are Ottawa international (YOW) and the Gatineau Airfield. Not too bad.
2018-4-9
Use props
LoSBoL
Second Officer
Flight distance : 666483 ft
Netherlands

Pabloottawa Posted at 2018-4-9 08:16
Yes of course. This is great info, thank you! and I agree, It's like driving fast.... Your car can do 160 but it doesn't mean you should drive that fast. I just like having the choice vs leaving up to a piece of software to decide where you can and can't fly.

You're welcome,

Burlingtonfilms had a link to the official NFZ zones for Canada, maybe you've already got that, but if not:
https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... amp;fromuid=1506194

You can see that DJI's NFZ map and the official one has some ehm... discrepancies
2018-4-9
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

No probs - getting out of your home town and exploring new areas is all part of it! Good luck and fly safe
2018-4-9
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft

LoSBoL Posted at 2018-4-9 08:06
You can check the types of NFZ's in your area, and what type of aircraft behavior you can expect on the DJI NFZ website: https://www.dji.com/flysafe/geo-map

Useful information, thanks for sharing.
2018-4-9
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules