Compass question
1499 11 2015-5-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
achandab
lvl.2
Flight distance : 89554 ft
Australia

do I need to recalabriate if I move to another area and the compass status says normal? Or do I just recalibrate when the app tells me?
2015-5-8
Use props
Alterastro
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Safe practice is to recalibrate every time you move....
2015-5-8
Use props
memelivorno
lvl.4
Flight distance : 287474 ft
Italy

Alterastro Posted at 2015-5-8 17:58
Safe practice is to recalibrate every time you move....

I do not agree. Even if the manual says to do compass calibration every time, imho if you don't move far far away from where you calibrated last time, it's not necessary and also could be worse than better.
2015-5-8
Use props
coreynach
lvl.2
Flight distance : 208589 ft
United States

I do not recalibrate every time I move... Only if I "move" long distances. Different areas of the world have different magnetic declinations, and these can affect a electronic compass' calibration. However, these differences are marginal with say a 50mi radius. If I flew from WA, USA to China, I'd certainly re-calibrate me compass. If I went from NY to California, I'd also re-calibrate... To be safe, if I went from WA or oregon (4-6hrs away) I'd still recalibrate... but if I'm driving within an hour of my hour, I don't necessarily recalibrate... In fact, when I fly only near my home, I tend to only re-calibrate every two weeks, and even then, it's just out of habit and good practice.

Perhaps I'm doing it wrong, but so far no issue. If you fly within the same 20-50mi radius, I don't really thing you need to do it... unless you crash, or your P3 gets near a strong magnetic source that messes up its calibration.
2015-5-8
Use props
danrok
lvl.1

Jersey

When starting a flight, hover say 10 feet above the ground with your hands off the controls for a short while. If the drone stays put and stays facing the same direction, then there is no need to calibrate anything.

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it."
2015-5-8
Use props
mike
Captain
Flight distance : 228255 ft
  • >>>
United States

Check out the following thread for reasons when you should recalibrate the compass:
http://www.phantompilots.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=32829

www.PhantomHelp.com
Find the latest must-haves, fixes, mods, how-tos, guides, and accessories for your Phantom.
Phantoms in stock and ready to ship worldwide! (see availability)
2015-5-8
Use props
imwhitey
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1921493 ft
  • >>>
United States

mike@singerscre Posted at 2015-5-8 18:27
Check out the following thread for reasons when you should recalibrate the compass:
http://www.phant ...

Thanks for this!
2015-5-8
Use props
achandab
lvl.2
Australia

mike@singerscre Posted at 2015-5-8 18:27
http://www.phant ...

Perfect
Thanks for the responses guys. I guess I'll just calibrate when it asks me to or if I have travelled a long distance.
2015-5-8
Use props
harderna
lvl.1

United States

How do you manually recalibrate when you move locations?  When I power ever thing on say for the first time that day, it has me do calibration.  But when I move 30 feet from original start point it does not have me recalibrate and I am unable to figure out how to do this manually.  
2015-5-8
Use props
achandab
lvl.2
Australia

harderna@yahoo. Posted at 2015-5-9 12:53
How do you manually recalibrate when you move locations?  When I power ever thing on say for the fir ...

When you're connected to the p3. Press the status button in the top middle of the screen. It shows your compass status. Then you can press recalibrate from there
2015-5-9
Use props
mmee1992
lvl.3
United States

If I am more then a few miles away from where I last flew it I usually recalibrate.
2015-5-9
Use props
harderna
lvl.1

United States

Thanks for the help!
2015-5-9
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules