My gripe with the Spark - Camera Tilt in Sports Mode
1531 6 2018-4-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Cookster670
Second Officer
Australia

Firtst of all....i have to say that I love my Spark.  It is an amazing device given it’s price and size.   I knew about it’s limitations before I bought it and don’t regret it...however there is one thing that bothers me more the more I fly it.

Presumably due to it’s 2-axis gimbal, if you are filming and flying in sports mode, any banking will result in a tilted image on the video.   This doesn’t happen in Normal mode, just sports mode.

I find that I regularly film in sports mode as normal mode is too slow for those high altitude runs.

I have to compensate by only doing straight runs OR switching to normal, then banking....but the speed change is noticeable.

It’s not a huge deal, but something that bugs me more and more and depending on how serious I get with filming, may push me to the Mavic Air sooner rather than later

Am I alone here ? Or does this annoy otthers as well ?
2018-4-9
Use props
LouisP
Second Officer
Flight distance : 41952 ft
United States

Ever think of recording in normal mode and then speeding up the footage in editing?
2018-4-9
Use props
fans29fbe11f
lvl.2
Flight distance : 253222 ft

Australia

Mine does this even in a straight line, I was flying out over the ocean yesterday in a straight line and the camera tilts In Sports mode. Might calibrate the RC see if it helps.
2018-4-9
Use props
Cookster670
Second Officer
Australia

LouisP Posted at 2018-4-9 13:31
Ever think of recording in normal mode and then speeding up the footage in editing?

Yes..sometimes......but not if you don’t like the awkward and unnatural speed of movement of things like birds flying, cars moving and people walking.   I don’t want it to look like it’s been sped up.   
2018-4-9
Use props
Cookster670
Second Officer
Australia

fans29fbe11f Posted at 2018-4-9 13:34
Mine does this even in a straight line, I was flying out over the ocean yesterday in a straight line and the camera tilts In Sports mode. Might calibrate the RC see if it helps.

I thin that has happened to me but not often.  I put it down to the Spark correcting for wind gusts.  Not sure if i’m right or not, but makes sense to me at least.

When filming I always try to get at least 10 seconds of good footage before moving on to another scene.
2018-4-9
Use props
davidmartingraf
First Officer
Flight distance : 106566408 ft
  • >>>

You bring up a good point about the camera of the Spark. I have owned my Spark for two months now, and suddenly when I'm flying in GPS mode yawing side to side, there is a noticeable tilt of my camera that resembles when flying in Sport Mode. I tried making adjustments to the gimbal, recalibrating the compass and IMU, and I still have that issue? My suspicion is because I've flown a lot with the Spark, it seems the bands around the gimbal or something similar has worn more than it should? I'm talking to DJI about this issue. I don't want to send in my drone unless I'm confident where, in the process, it will flow until its repaired or replaced?
2018-4-9
Use props
LKLM Media
lvl.1

Australia

Try the following - Disable obstacle avoidance in Normal mode and it will fly twice as fast, but the Gimble won't react and tilt in the "FPV" style that DJI have tried to create when in sports Mode.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SyB--r-zmmI

For me what I find the most frustrating, isn't even that it tilts with the Drone on turning a corner, it is the fact that it Snaps back to position quicker than the Drone itself does... I can only imagine that when the Spark is banking left at 45 Degrees the gimbal is locked, which is fine, that represents the FPV view then of a tilted horizon.  But when the Spark returns to level the Gimbal appears to return to Level before the Spark itself does, and does so Extremely rapidly - and that is the Snappy footage that sux.

I'm going to try this method tomorrow
2019-6-23
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules