Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Grainy Footage on Mavic Pro
4353 21 2018-4-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Dcubediddzy
lvl.1

I have some very grainy footage with my mavic pro.  ISO has always been at 100.  I've reset the camera and used polar pro filters.  Can anyone tell me if the shutter speed can introduce grain?  I'm curious however it really doesn't matter what speed I'm at, I almost always see it.  Very high shutter speed or even at 60 fps in sunlight with the filters.  I've always used 4k.  Never tried 2k.  Settings at 0,0,0.  -1,0,0 makes it pretty blurry in spots.  I've never used auto balance.  I record in DCine. & .mov.  I see it on my new Mac and also on my 58" plasma.  I've been using Imovie but will probably upgrade to Final Cut soon.  Link shows unedited video.

Thank you in advance.

2018-4-9
Use props
Goldchucker
First Officer
Flight distance : 512 ft
United States

What part of your video do you think is grainy?  Looks very good on my 21 inch monitor.
2018-4-9
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Captain
United States

Youtube version is only 1080p, far from 4K.  Thus hard to see what you are seeing.
Video does not look bad for 1080p.  Perhaps a bit soft?
2018-4-9
Use props
TexasAerials
First Officer
Flight distance : 566952 ft
United States

is it grainy or just missed focus?
2018-4-9
Use props
christing
lvl.3

United States

Here I'd like to share the DJI Mavic Pro 4K to Final Cut Pro best workflow with you. Hope it can be useful to you.
2018-4-10
Use props
christing
lvl.3

United States

Here I'd like to share the DJI Mavic Pro 4K to Final Cut Pro best workflow with you. Hope it can be useful to you.
2018-4-10
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Looks like more of a sharpness issue than grain. Adjust your camera profiles.
2018-4-10
Use props
M2Wair
Captain
Flight distance : 1192231 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Yup it looks like sharpness issue to me as well, don't see grain.
2018-4-10
Use props
Dcubediddzy
lvl.1

M2Wair Posted at 2018-4-10 02:21
Yup it looks like sharpness issue to me as well, don't see grain.

What I posted is a lot softer than what it looks like.  I exported to 4K but it doesn’t look like it went. I’ve never posted or threw up a video on line before.  The footage is very ckear though. I’ll figure out how to post a better shot and let everyone know.  

Thanks for looking.
2018-4-10
Use props
slimharry
First Officer
Flight distance : 720446 ft
Canada

christing Posted at 2018-4-10 00:12

Is this necessary? Seems like a long process most youtubers don't talk about?

I've decided to start shooting in UHD 24 fps .mov and import to fcp. Should be okay?
2018-4-10
Use props
Jos A
Captain
Flight distance : 73209 ft
Netherlands

is it original sd file or did you edit it?
Be sure when edit it use same codec h264 and fps  when go to output
2018-4-10
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Try 2.7K and also try different profile settings.
What I'm seeing is compressing artifacts. Mainly in the water .
Youtube is a big factor in that.
But if you also see it in the original footage, try 2.7K
2018-4-10
Use props
Dcubediddzy
lvl.1

Jos A Posted at 2018-4-10 04:03
is it original sd file or did you edit it?
Be sure when edit it use same codec h264 and fps  when go to output

It has not been edited. I loaded up in iMovie just to shorten the length.  Then posed to youtube.  The video does clear up about 3/4 of a way thru.  I don't know why its blurry the first 3/4.  But the  video is definitely grainy when I watch it.  
2018-4-10
Use props
Dcubediddzy
lvl.1

Montfrooij Posted at 2018-4-10 10:25
Try 2.7K and also try different profile settings.
What I'm seeing is compressing artifacts. Mainly in the water .
Youtube is a big factor in that.

Thanks I'll try that but I'm curious as to why I need to.  Why wouldn't it be clear in 4k?
2018-4-10
Use props
davidmartingraf
Captain
Flight distance : 84805085 ft
  • >>>

It didn't look washed out or anything, maybe there could be a little more sharper picture, around the trees?
2018-4-10
Use props
FlyDK
Captain
Flight distance : 1636286 ft
Denmark

I think you require too much of a 60Mbps camera. Many people think that minimum 100Mbps is required for good 4k recordings, so you can probably get better recordings in 2.7k at 24fps.
2018-4-10
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Dcubediddzy Posted at 2018-4-10 16:09
Thanks I'll try that but I'm curious as to why I need to.  Why wouldn't it be clear in 4k?

4K has much more information that needs to be squeezed in the 60Mb/s pipeline that Mavic Pro has.
That causes for compression + artifacts in area's like water (with a lot of subtle color variations).
You could experience that as noise.
2.7K is said to be more optimal because it shows less compression.
But as always, just give it a try and see what works best for you
2018-4-10
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

Dcubediddzy Posted at 2018-4-10 03:32
What I posted is a lot softer than what it looks like.  I exported to 4K but it doesn’t look like it went. I’ve never posted or threw up a video on line before.  The footage is very ckear though. I’ll figure out how to post a better shot and let everyone know.  

Thanks for looking.

Please provide us the original footage. I would recommend you upload it to dropbox or google for further check. Thanks for your support.
2018-4-11
Use props
0Kajuna0
Captain
Flight distance : 267126 ft
Spain

It looks like 3D noise reduction combined with compression. I set sharpness to +1 and contrast to -3, That appears to minimise (bad) noise reduction and its effects, but I'm not sure that affects the 3D noise problem: https://forum.dji.com/thread-135441-1-1.html

60mbps could be enough for 4k if the compression process  was good. But it's not.
2018-4-11
Use props
Dcubediddzy
lvl.1

Thanks for the help.   I appreciate it.
2018-4-11
Use props
RonalddH
lvl.1
Flight distance : 24150 ft
Netherlands

I have the same issue. Whatever resolution I use, footage is crap. Looks like some micro-shake. I compared it to my spark footage which is so much better. I showed the footage to DJI and the advised me to send it in which I did 30 min ago. Footage like this is not usable.
2018-4-13
Use props
RonalddH
lvl.1
Flight distance : 24150 ft
Netherlands

RonalddH Posted at 2018-4-13 07:06
I have the same issue. Whatever resolution I use, footage is crap. Looks like some micro-shake. I compared it to my spark footage which is so much better. I showed the footage to DJI and the advised me to send it in which I did 30 min ago. Footage like this is not usable.

DJI repaired my mavic pro within warranty and I had it back after 8 days. Perfect !
2018-4-23
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules