A considered choice.
1513 15 2018-4-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
AlansDronePics
First Officer
Flight distance : 814751 ft
Guernsey

Sometimes we are spoiled for choice. We really like the idea of a certain gismo, but is it actually the best choice for our needs?
I have just had to face up to the hard facts and it lead me to an unexpected decision.
To my mind, after the purchase of the drone comes the realisation that the phone or tablet you hoped to use with it, just isn't up to the job.
I soon realised that with my P3P and Galaxy S4, about 3 years ago. Even in UK sunshine, you just cannot see the image on the screen.
I looked at the brightest tablets available at that time and chose a Samsung TAB S2. It was a great improvement, but close calls with invisible overhead powerlines and fine tree branches and the purchase of a Mavic, called for a change.
I have nothing but respect for Apple devices, well made and work so much better than Android, however, for me, they are over priced and unacceptably restrictive with the software you can use on them.
I chose a Samsung J7 and it worked brilliantly. The downside for many users would be the small 1gb ram. If all the running apps are not killed off prior to running the Go apps then you are asking for trouble. It applies with larger RAM devices as well. Out of interest, the Galaxy S4 will run the GO4 app without trouble, so speed and memory are not an issue it seems.
I suspect the J4 screen is not as bright as it was and I decided to get a CrystalSky.
The reviews killed that choice straight away. So many reports of an unreliable device put me off. What I liked about the CrystalSky was it was a bright screen and a dedicated device. The J7 is a brilliant smartphone and I had no interest in changing.
Of all the devices currently available, the Galaxy S9 plus has the brightest sreen. Other users report no problems when used with drones, so I have just ordered one. Should be with me at the end of the month.
I will let you know how I get on next month.
Sometimes you have to go with what works best and not be swayed by a wim. It took a while to check specs and reviews before the answer emerged.
I hope this helps anyone faced with a device change. Seeing where you are going and being able to see the image framed properly is important to safe drone flight.
2018-4-10
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13864580 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Good post - research before buying is vital!
2018-4-10
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Thanks for sharing your experience with us.
2018-4-15
Use props
SparksBird
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10731690 ft
United States

Yeah let us know how the decision goes.  I will probably get a iPad for my MP as the screen is much bigger than my iPhone 6.  Would be interested to see how your choice works out.
2018-4-15
Use props
AlansDronePics
First Officer
Guernsey

Thank you all, I am looking forward (and technically all around through the camera)  to getting this super bright device.
I will let you know how it goes. Amazon are taking an age to send this little thing. 30th at the earliest, would you believe. Pop it in the post for goodness sake. Oh no, must send it by Hermes. That means it has to travel by sea on our cargo boat that arrives once a week.
Don't they know I am into gadgets and pacing the floor till I get my sticky hands on it?

2018-4-15
Use props
AlansDronePics
First Officer
Guernsey

Good news! Galaxy S9 plus has arrived early and I tried it out in brilliant sunlight this afternoon.
The thing fits the Mavic controller and the supplied adaptor means I can use the normal charge port to connect to the phone. I will order a double right angle connector cable in due course.
The screen is now quite adequate for lining up shots in the sunlight. I still find it an advantage to cast my shadow on the screen for super clear image. With the J7, I worked in the door opening of the car with line of sight to the drone so I had a good shadow, but now I am free to move around.
Things I don't like and are important to consider if you think of buying this device is the shape of the thing.
The curved screen edges are a daft idea. It cramps the display in that region. Not a disaster, but annoying. The curve also makes pulling down the phone settings a hit or miss affair. Data on/off, screen brightness, wifi on/off...
The grips of the controller cover the soft buttons, because they are part of the screen. You can't access them now to go to the home screen or kill apps or go-back. Most annoying and could be a hazard if you need to restart the app or similar.
The on/off button on the side of the device is exposed below the controller and the slightest touch will switch off the display. This is also a very bad design flaw.
Apart from the bright screen, it has got nothing going for it when used with the Mavic Pro controller.
There were no hangups or glitches or flyaways with it during this test.

I include the video I made during the test.
I expect you will consider it rubbish, but because the image was so clear, I was able to do the circuit and flyover in a single pass. I just chopped out the lining up and moving into position parts.

2018-4-19
Use props
Lamplighter55
Second Officer
Flight distance : 538596 ft
United Kingdom

AlansDronePics Posted at 2018-4-19 13:29
Good news! Galaxy S9 plus has arrived early and I tried it out in brilliant sunlight this afternoon.
The thing fits the Mavic controller and the supplied adaptor means I can use the normal charge port to connect to the phone. I will order a double right angle connector cable in due course.
The screen is now quite adequate for lining up shots in the sunlight. I still find it an advantage to cast my shadow on the screen for super clear image. With the J7, I worked in the door opening of the car with line of sight to the drone so I had a good shadow, but now I am free to move around.

Nice video 'test' - particularly like that you used the natural sounds of the sea and gulls as a sound track.
2018-4-19
Use props
Bekaru MP UAV
First Officer
Flight distance : 15513100 ft
South Africa

AlansDronePics Posted at 2018-4-19 13:29
The screen is now quite adequate for lining up shots in the sunlight. I still find it an advantage to cast my shadow on the screen for super clear image. With the J7, I worked in the door opening of the car with line of sight to the drone so I had a good shadow, but now I am free to move around.

thanks fr sharing the pretty clip with interesting building and also for sharing your pilots review of the s9
2018-4-19
Use props
IceBox-Murdock
lvl.4
Flight distance : 43845 ft
  • >>>
United States

It is indeed important to read reviews before splurging into something. We know that gadgets are not cheap. I always read a good amount of reviews and consider the reputation of the reviewers. There are people who leaves bad review and very unreasonable.
2018-4-19
Use props
AlansDronePics
First Officer
Guernsey

Lamplighter55 Posted at 2018-4-19 13:56
Nice video 'test' - particularly like that you used the natural sounds of the sea and gulls as a sound track.

Thank you for your comment.
I believe the soundtrack is important, but what tune do you use that matches the mood? One thing is for sure, many people hate the choice. That is why I tried for natural. I also reduced the volume to about a third on the clip. Hope bird screech was not too loud.
2018-4-19
Use props
AlansDronePics
First Officer
Guernsey

Bekaru MP UAV Posted at 2018-4-19 14:12
thanks fr sharing the pretty clip with interesting building and also for sharing your pilots review of the s9

The negatives were disappointing in the review. I expect I will find a work-around.
The big plus was being able to see clearly at last. In that respect, I achieved what I wanted.
Glad you liked the fort. There are more forts and German bunkers here on the 3.5 sq miles of island than anywhere else in the world, I reckon. All open and ready for exploring.
The Island tourist people have used my aerial shots for the information boards outside the forts. Nice to know people will see them.
I also provide a local military expert with aerial shots (stills) of forts and bunkers and they have been viewed all over the world.
Good old DJI couldn't have done it without you.
2018-4-19
Use props
AlansDronePics
First Officer
Guernsey

IceBox-Murdock Posted at 2018-4-19 14:20
It is indeed important to read reviews before splurging into something. We know that gadgets are not cheap. I always read a good amount of reviews and consider the reputation of the reviewers. There are people who leaves bad review and very unreasonable.

I never saw any reviews mentioning the negatives I found for the S9+. Still, I will survive. You are quite right though, thorough research is the best way.
2018-4-19
Use props
Bekaru MP UAV
First Officer
Flight distance : 15513100 ft
South Africa

AlansDronePics Posted at 2018-4-19 22:28
The negatives were disappointing in the review. I expect I will find a work-around.
The big plus was being able to see clearly at last. In that respect, I achieved what I wanted.
Glad you liked the fort. There are more forts and German bunkers here on the 3.5 sq miles of island than anywhere else in the world, I reckon. All open and ready for exploring.

it feels good to receive positive recognition for our works. Money is probably first prize but simply being useful or providing entertainment for some can feel just as rewarding.
I fly as a hobby so for me just the occasional thumbs up is sufficient reward for me, anything more is a bonus.
2018-4-20
Use props
AlansDronePics
First Officer
Guernsey

Bekaru MP UAV Posted at 2018-4-20 03:27
it feels good to receive positive recognition for our works. Money is probably first prize but simply being useful or providing entertainment for some can feel just as rewarding.
I fly as a hobby so for me just the occasional thumbs up is sufficient reward for me, anything more is a bonus.

I provide any pics and vids for free, for the benefit of the island. Not that I am involved with the people of power here, I try and keep to myself. I am better known as a thriller writer, photography is a long standing hobby and so using a drone is a natural progression. I started with a P3P over 3 years ago and in many respects, it is still a great drone. The Mavic scores high because it is so portable, but with all the rules and bad press, taking it abroad is not the pleasurable experience it should be.
I thought about getting a submersible drone because there are a lot of ship wrecks and interesting sea life just off shore.
You are right about the feel good factor when someone likes your work.
There are probably a dozen photographers here and the best, in my opinion, is a girl who takes estate agents photos. Her island shots, seascapes, moody, misty ships at anchor pictures etc are awesome, but oddly, she gets no local recognition for her ability.

2018-4-20
Use props
B1houdini
First Officer
Flight distance : 927927 ft
United States

Thank you for your Views and reasoning you made in acquiring a Video viewing device.
Making the right choice helps make for a great flying experience .
For me I reviewed a lot of different videos on the subject and decided on the IPad mini 4. It was the perfect size to fit the controller and the viewing screen was perfect for my old eyes.

Enjoyed your test video . Didn't think it was rubbish. Thought you did an excellent job with it and the choice of sound fit it perfectly.

2018-4-20
Use props
AlansDronePics
First Officer
Guernsey

B1houdini Posted at 2018-4-20 09:51
Thank you for your Views and reasoning you made in acquiring a Video viewing device.
Making the right choice helps make for a great flying experience .
For me I reviewed a lot of different videos on the subject and decided on the IPad mini 4. It was the perfect size to fit the controller and the viewing screen was perfect for my old eyes.

I appreciate what you say. I am sure we will have lots of videos and stills to share. here.
A great site.
2018-4-20
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules