iPhone 6 Discharge Rate with OM2
2683 13 2018-4-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
forbsie
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

I've just received my Osmo Mobile 2, and not had much of a chance to play yet, however, I've definitely noticed how quickly the power drains on my iPhone 6 when connected. It has recently had a battery replacement, and normaly lasts a full day on one charge, .. I reckon I'd be lucky to get an hour out of it attached to the OM2. Maybe time for a new phone! Does anyone else have this issue? What battery life do you get with other iPhone models?
2018-4-10
Use props
Seitenwerk
lvl.2
Flight distance : 59400 ft
Austria

My iPhone 6Plus lasts around 3-4 days usually with average use. But yes, the official DJI App drains battery pretty fast and seems to have a high performance cost for whatever reason. I usually tend to use the native iOS app or filmic pro for more dedicated stuff. I see no reason to use the official app at the moment with the exception of active track and hyperlaps functions.
2018-4-10
Use props
forbsie
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Seitenwerk Posted at 2018-4-10 22:55
My iPhone 6Plus lasts around 3-4 days usually with average use. But yes, the official DJI App drains battery pretty fast and seems to have a high performance cost for whatever reason. I usually tend to use the native iOS app or filmic pro for more dedicated stuff. I see no reason to use the official app at the moment with the exception of active track and hyperlaps functions.

Thanks for your reply. Yeah, I guess I'll use the native app for video, .. it'd be nice to use DJI Go but I'm losing charge too quickly. Maybe I'll test using the OM2 to charge my phone while shooting, and see how that goes.
2018-4-10
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Hi forbsie, when you connect Osmo Mobile 2 to your mobile phone via DJI Go APP, it will consume about 3% every minute.
You can user HID function, which means when you connect to Osmo Mobile 2's Bluetooth, you can also use the stock Camera APP in your phone for shooting, Osmo Mobile could just to a stabilizer. The shutter and video buttons in the handle can be used to control the volume button in your phone, thereby to trigger the video and picture taking.
2018-4-11
Use props
forbsie
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

DJI Mindy Posted at 2018-4-11 00:00
Hi forbsie, when you connect Osmo Mobile 2 to your mobile phone via DJI Go APP, it will consume about 3% every minute.
You can user HID function, which means when you connect to Osmo Mobile 2's Bluetooth, you can also use the stock Camera APP in your phone for shooting, Osmo Mobile could just to a stabilizer. The shutter and video buttons in the handle can be used to control the volume button in your phone, thereby to trigger the video and picture taking.

Thanks for your reply Mindy
2018-4-11
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

forbsie Posted at 2018-4-11 03:21
Thanks for your reply Mindy

You are welcome, please let us know if there is any further issue, we will do our best to assist, thank you.
2018-4-11
Use props
Swedrone
First Officer
Flight distance : 14066975 ft
  • >>>
Sweden

Have you considered connecting your phone with a cable to the handle using it as a powerbank? I did than in Tallinn Estonia and it was a little tough getting the balance right but gave me 5 hours of shooting. It also prevented the phone from switching off since it was sub-zero temperature and you know what happens then

2018-4-14
Use props
forbsie
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Swedrone Posted at 2018-4-14 09:02
Have you considered connecting your phone with a cable to the handle using it as a powerbank? I did than in Tallinn Estonia and it was a little tough getting the balance right dbut gave me 5 hours of shooting. It also prevented the phone from switching off since it was sub-zero temperature and you know what happens then
https://youtu.be/cLMrML_qyCc

Thanks for your reply. Yes, I am going to try that next. Interestingly, it appears to be video using DJI Go that affects the phone the most, Time-lapse and other such modes aren't as savage on the battery. Nice video of Tallinn BTW!
2018-4-14
Use props
Swedrone
First Officer
Flight distance : 14066975 ft
  • >>>
Sweden

forbsie Posted at 2018-4-14 14:23
Thanks for your reply. Yes, I am going to try that next. Interestingly, it appears to be video using DJI Go that affects the phone the most, Time-lapse and other such modes aren't as savage on the battery. Nice video of Tallinn BTW!

Yeah thank´s and good luck!
2018-4-15
Use props
Snaver
lvl.2
Flight distance : 45226 ft

DJI Mindy.
Any hope of DJI fixing this excessive battery drain issue?
I can’t  figure why using DJI Go App, to shoot video, would drain a fully charged Cell Photo be in just 33 minutes. This is a serious design flaw.
2018-4-16
Use props
Snaver
lvl.2

Above should read Cell Phone.
2018-4-16
Use props
forbsie
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Snaver Posted at 2018-4-16 12:28
DJI Mindy.
Any hope of DJI fixing this excessive battery drain issue?
I can’t  figure why using DJI Go App, to shoot video, would drain a fully charged Cell Photo be in just 33 minutes. This is a serious design flaw.

Agree 100%, .. I can certainly see that OM2 would cause more of a drain on mobile (cell) power than the DJI drones, however, the current rate of discharge seems excessive! There was a firmware update this morning which I was hoping would maybe address this issue (and extend the resolution of pano sets), but no such luck   
2018-4-16
Use props
Snaver
lvl.2

Forbsie.
You are correct. When shooting video using DJI GO4 app with my Mavic, the cell phone battery drain is almost negligible.
This makes my frustration with the O2M and DJI GO App even more prevalent. Why the difference? What is the source of the drain, App or O2M?
The need to charge the phone with O2M itself, is a lame fix. Can’t get the phone properly balanced with charging cable plugged in.
2018-4-17
Use props
forbsie
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Snaver Posted at 2018-4-17 04:36
Forbsie.
You are correct. When shooting video using DJI GO4 app with my Mavic, the cell phone battery drain is almost negligible.
This makes my frustration with the O2M and DJI GO App even more prevalent. Why the difference? What is the source of the drain, App or O2M?

Hi mate,

I'm guessing that the OM2 is probably constantly connected with the phone, and maybe a drone connection isn't as intensive. The power drain is a real impediment though, .. DJI needs to look into it.

Cheers
2018-4-17
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules