Image issue with Mavic Air
1554 29 2018-4-11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
lord ofrtcw
lvl.1
Switzerland

Hi guys,

maybe anybody out there can help with the following issue. When I take a Picture with my Mavic Air, most of the time the Picture is completely messed up. Only a few of them are usable. I have a sandisk extreme pro 128GB V30 A1 inside, will give it another try with internal storage turned on. Does anybody of you have the same issue?

regards

messed up

messed up

artefacts from old pictures

artefacts from old pictures
2018-4-11
Use props
TFile
lvl.3
Flight distance : 56398 ft
United Kingdom

Not seen this before, I would definitely get in touch with customer support asap.
2018-4-11
Use props
Kevjones1959
lvl.4
Flight distance : 61932 ft

South Africa

Did you format the card before you took the photos. I have had this happen on some SD cards in my cameras.
2018-4-11
Use props
M2Wair
First Officer
Flight distance : 1192231 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Yeah, format the SD card and if that doesn't rectify the issue contact support.  
2018-4-11
Use props
LoSBoL
Second Officer
Flight distance : 666483 ft
Netherlands

Maybe also try a firmware refresh?
2018-4-11
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13926112 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Did you take your profile photo with it too
2018-4-11
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

The card should be alright try as others have said formatting.
2018-4-11
Use props
lord ofrtcw
lvl.1
Switzerland

What I have done so far together with the official DJI support chat:
- firmware refresh
- imu and gimbal calibration
- reset to factory defaults
- sd-card formatted (2 times, one time with the app, 2nd time with my pc with a special tool for 128GB FAT32)

The issue appears only for pictures taken during flight, if the drone is grounded, all pictures record perfect quality.
2018-4-11
Use props
lord ofrtcw
lvl.1
Switzerland

Ah I forgot, the supporter from DJI first told me it‘s an incompatibility issue with my iPhone X, so I tried with an iPhone 7 and of course the problem still occurs.
2018-4-11
Use props
MennoH
lvl.3
Flight distance : 75118 ft
Netherlands

do you have another card, a 32 or 64, those are more common i guess... is the problem there when using another card?
2018-4-11
Use props
lord ofrtcw
lvl.1
Switzerland

Yes I do but only a slow one, let‘s try tomorrow with the internal storage during flight. So it seems I‘m alone with this problem, probably really a hardware failure with my specific drone... I will report again tomorrow.
2018-4-11
Use props
Kevjones1959
lvl.4

South Africa

This is going to turn out to be a hardware issue with your SD card I am afraid as a best guess. If you are taking still photos and not video then the speed of the card does not really matter that much. So try another card my guess is it is going to work fine. A 128gb card is a very large high speed card, personally I would not use more than 64gb or 32gb. In my camera kit lower capacity and more of them was always a safer bet.
2018-4-11
Use props
GoldenSun
First Officer
Flight distance : 681903 ft
Poland

Looks like the photos are not saved properly, could be an issue with the SD card.
2018-4-11
Use props
Donald Yip
lvl.2
Flight distance : 180128 ft
United Kingdom

Definitely looks to be an issue with your SD card - try another one faster one as suggested.
2018-4-11
Use props
Philip Couling
lvl.2
Flight distance : 448081 ft
United Kingdom

Donald Yip Posted at 2018-4-11 13:39
Definitely looks to be an issue with your SD card - try another one faster one as suggested.

It's definitely NOT card speed. I've used slow cards in mine and Photos are fine.  Speed is only ever an issue with Video where the internal computer can't cache the whole video before writing.  With photos this is never a problem.

I would be interested to hear back from the OP about weather internal storage was fine?  This is nothing I've seen in the current firmware.

If I had to guess I would say its a duff memory card.  Try with a completely different card (even a slow one).  Failing that you may need to send your drone back as faulty.
2018-4-11
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Please try to store the files in the internal storage. Please keep us updated if the issue persists, export the original pictures from the drone and upload to Dropbox for further checking. Thank you.
2018-4-11
Use props
lord ofrtcw
lvl.1
Switzerland

I did the test with internal storage during flight now and it's working just perfectly! Now the question is, if my SD-Card is somehow faulty or if the drone has an issue with the card reader/writer? The card is even the recommended type from DJI:

I retested with a class 10 V10 sandisk card and the pictures look crappy again. What should I do now? Buy one of the fastest SD-Cards but 32GB and retest?
2018-4-11
Use props
lord ofrtcw
lvl.1
Switzerland

I just ordered a Lexar Prof. 1800x 64GB sdxc U3, will report in a few hours. From what I can guess right now, the 128GB Sandisk Extreme Pro V30 A1 seems to be NOT compatible with the Mavic Air and the speed of the card DOES matter when recording pictures too (SanDisk 16GB class 10 / UHD speed class 1 / V10 failed). Is somebody out there using a 128GB card in a mavic successfully at all?
2018-4-12
Use props
ggeorgis
lvl.4
Greece

lord ofrtcw Posted at 2018-4-12 01:50
I just ordered a Lexar Prof. 1800x 64GB sdxc U3, will report in a few hours. From what I can guess right now, the 128GB Sandisk Extreme Pro V30 A1 seems to be NOT compatible with the Mavic Air and the speed of the card DOES matter when recording pictures too (SanDisk 16GB class 10 / UHD speed class 1 / V10 failed). Is somebody out there using a 128GB card in a mavic successfully at all?

Another user had a similar issue with previous images embedded in newer photos and I believe DJI replaced his drone as faulty
2018-4-12
Use props
ggeorgis
lvl.4
Greece

A CW Posted at 2018-4-11 09:40
Did you take your profile photo with it too

Best comment award
2018-4-12
Use props
lord ofrtcw
lvl.1
Switzerland

@ggeorgis can you provide a link to the mentioned discussion?
2018-4-12
Use props
Kevjones1959
lvl.4

South Africa

lord ofrtcw Posted at 2018-4-12 04:45

Dont stress your card is faulty. It is neither formatting correctly nor is it creating a good file table. I would take the card back to the shop. Your other cards will be fine. (IMHO).
2018-4-12
Use props
Philip Couling
lvl.2
Flight distance : 448081 ft
United Kingdom

lord ofrtcw Posted at 2018-4-11 23:30
I did the test with internal storage during flight now and it's working just perfectly! Now the question is, if my SD-Card is somehow faulty or if the drone has an issue with the card reader/writer? The card is even the recommended type from DJI:
[view_image]
I retested with a class 10 V10 sandisk card and the pictures look crappy again. What should I do now? Buy one of the fastest SD-Cards but 32GB and retest?

Yeah.  I suspected.  

With SD cards there is  (still) a problem with people producing fakes.  They are often a valid SD card but moded to pretend they are much larger than they really are.  The result is that when your device writes to them, it overwrites stuff it wasn't trying to.  It can play out as bits of photos turning up in the wrong place.

I only mention this because even though it could be that your card was just faulty, you might want to avoid that seller in future.
2018-4-12
Use props
lord ofrtcw
lvl.1
Switzerland

Update: Got the Lexar 1800x, formatted the card, did a testflight and made some pictures, again they're completely messed up . I guess I have to contact the seller (Apple) to get a new one as a replacement. Thanks everybody for the tipps and the support.
2018-4-12
Use props
ggeorgis
lvl.4
Greece

lord ofrtcw Posted at 2018-4-12 04:45

https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=138743

There you go....it seems I was wrong on the replacement under warranty part. You can always PM the other user to see what happened.
2018-4-13
Use props
lord ofrtcw
lvl.1
Switzerland

ggeorgis Posted at 2018-4-13 00:11
https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=138743

There you go....it seems I was wrong on the replacement under warranty part. You can always PM the other user to see what happened.

Thank you so much. Indeed, the problem looks similar. I wrote Apple a mail and within 3 minutes they replied that a replacement drone is already on it's way to me I really believe the SD reader of the drone has some HW defect. There's at least one good outcome of the whole case; I'll have enough different SD-Cards now to test out with the new drone in a few days
2018-4-13
Use props
ggeorgis
lvl.4
Greece

lord ofrtcw Posted at 2018-4-13 00:25
Thank you so much. Indeed, the problem looks similar. I wrote Apple a mail and within 3 minutes they replied that a replacement drone is already on it's way to me  I really believe the SD reader of the drone has some HW defect. There's at least one good outcome of the whole case; I'll have enough different SD-Cards now to test out with the new drone in a few days

Lucky you bought from Apple...if it was from DJI's own store it would more than likely be a 2-3 week turnaround...and you might even get a refurbished unit
2018-4-13
Use props
Bulldog
lvl.4
Flight distance : 816158 ft
United States

DJi strikes again!
2018-4-13
Use props
lord ofrtcw
lvl.1
Switzerland

Good news, I got my new MA yesterday and took it out for a first try. I recorded ~20 pictures to my SD Card during flight and they were all OK. Many thanks again to everybody involved for supporting a newbie.
2018-4-16
Use props
lord ofrtcw
lvl.1
Switzerland

Oh, BTW: to my 128GB sandisk extreme Pro, working like a charm now!
2018-4-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules