Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Solution for Top heaviness with iPad air mounted
2060 12 2015-5-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
powerlord_stu.h
lvl.1
Flight distance : 515105 ft
United Kingdom

Having mounted my ipad air on the controller it is very top heavy. I expected it to come with a strap, but didn't.

However, even  when fitted with a strap, the balance point is far towards the back meaning the controller isn't balanced at all in the hands.

Has anyone came up with a solution that works ?

stu
2015-5-8
Use props
gil
Captain
Flight distance : 1379308 ft
United States

Not cheaply!  I saw a really nice tray setup for about $180 on Amazon.

Secraft Phantom Transmitter Tray and Mini Ipad Fpv Tray Complete Setup
2015-5-8
Use props
ntfa
Second Officer

United States

IPad mini 2. Works great
2015-5-8
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Gee and I thought the iPad Air was the one I was going  to pair up with the Phantom 3?Ah, but now I know better, thanks ntfa.Will be an iPad mini. Definitely.

RedHotPoker

2015-5-8
Use props
chrisongtj
lvl.1

Singapore

I use my iPhone with it, works well too. I also use the iPad. I fly with my thumbs and not with pinch group though.
2015-5-8
Use props
jon.jongodfrey
lvl.4

United Kingdom

I use my arms... it's only 20 mins, right? ;-)
2015-5-8
Use props
peter.isiqhalo
lvl.1

South Africa

And of course the first generation mini is not compatible....grrrrrrrrr
2015-5-9
Use props
wiski23
lvl.1

New Zealand

iPad Air 2 works good for me, but I hate the movement in the holder? My inspire doesn't have that movement, the holder leaver/bar is slightly different
2015-5-9
Use props
paul
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1276532 ft
  • >>>
United States

i was experiencing some serious wobble when i mounted my ipad air 2 onto the holder. There was a lot of side to side movement, which made me really nervous about dumping my expensive ipad onto the ground!

I fixed that wobble with a little bit of plasti-weld epoxy putty from Lowes. I made a fillet around the base to eliminate movement. Be sure to leave clearance for the holder to fold.
2015-5-11
Use props
dmwierz
Second Officer
Flight distance : 61427 ft
United States

How about a simple lanyard to stabilize the controller?
2015-5-11
Use props
wiski23
lvl.1

New Zealand

wiski23 Posted at 2015-5-9 18:46
iPad Air 2 works good for me, but I hate the movement in the holder? My inspire doesn't have that mo ...

Any pictures please sir? .... Soo you glue? Or full the gap on the base of the metal holder to stop any wobble?

Cheers
2015-5-11
Use props
paul
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1276532 ft
  • >>>
United States

Epoxy putty stabilization

Not glue, but an epoxy putty called plastiweld. You knead it like a dough, then apply it to wherever you need it. It will cure to full hardness in 5 minutes. In the picture, i forgot to account for the clearance of the bottom of the holder and had to carve the top flush with the bar with a razor, but this works!

To be safe, practice a bit before you do this, in order to minimize the mess. You can pick plasti weld up at lowes or home depot.

The purpose of the putty was not to fill in the bottom, but to reinforce the sides of the holder's base.
2015-5-11
Use props
FantomDK
Second Officer

Denmark

I use a simple neck-strap (if thats the right name) connected to the hole on the device-holder that I presume is meant for it   I'm mainly using an iPad Air. It works. Make sure to tighten the metal ring to get rid of vobble. It is "top-heavy" so it hangs upside down down the stomach if you let go. It works. But could be better. I'd be surprised if an iPad mini would not also be a tad "top-heavy+?
2015-5-11
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules