Flying Glasses - Top tinted, bottom clear?
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

Wondering if anyone has experimented with Glasses where the Top part of lenses are tinted for VLOS and Bottom part of lenses are clear for looking at RC and Smartdevice?

I would attempt to make such Glasses for testing, but I have to wear glasses with vision correction.  All my glasses have photochromatic lens (aka Transition or Photogray).  Which is what got me to thinking about Top tinted and bottom clear lens for flying.  

After flying other day in bright sunlight, I went inside to look at a couple of settings on CrystalSky.  CrystalSky immediately adjusted brightness down as it should.  Whereas my Transistion lens glasses were still dark.  Making CS-Ub screen hard to see.  Leading me to realize, when outside, I am looking at CrystalSky with darkened lens that are meant to deal with light at least 5x brighter than CS-Ub nits rating of 2,000.

Went back out side, let my glass fully tint and CS-Ub do it's automatic brightness adjustment.  Sliding my glasses Up and Down, there was a difference in brightness of CS-Ub screen to my human eye.

Repeated test this time with my iPhone.  Same results.  iPhone's screen was easier to see when I was not looking through darkened lenses of my gasses.

2018-4-11
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules