Demolition Gone Wrong captured with Mavic Air
1872 24 2018-4-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Henrik Olsen
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 2042385 ft
  • >>>

It’s been 4 weeks since the last demolition of the staircase tower, now It was time for the big Silo to go down. Despite all preparation, the demolition failed and damaged the building behind. I have captured the event from inside the ropes and caught unrevealed details from the blast.

What do you think caused the Silo to tilt in the wrong direction?

2018-4-12
Use props
Suren
Captain
Flight distance : 13425892 ft
  • >>>
South Africa

Lucky no one got hurt, good video
2018-4-12
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Ouch.
That was an expensive mistake.
2018-4-12
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

PS, it was of course the drone that caused for the building to fall into the wrong direction
2018-4-12
Use props
SparksBird
First Officer
Flight distance : 10731690 ft
United States

They did not account for the backside to collapse faster than the explosion side.  Most likely being weaker structure wise.  Because of that the backside broke faster than the planned inside and therefore collapsed the opposite planned side.
2018-4-12
Use props
Bill B
lvl.4
Flight distance : 319245 ft
United States

Hopefully their liability insurance is current. pray no one was hurt. Nice video of the incident. Good job!
2018-4-12
Use props
Bill B
lvl.4
Flight distance : 319245 ft
United States

Snoop dog?
2018-4-12
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Flight distance : 261509 ft

Great video again, thank you! And bad luck that more than intended was demolished...
2018-4-12
Use props
Suren
Captain
Flight distance : 13425892 ft
  • >>>
South Africa

Montfrooij Posted at 2018-4-12 06:39
PS, it was of course the drone that caused for the building to fall into the wrong direction

The turbulence from the props pushed it the other way
2018-4-12
Use props
Lamplighter55
Second Officer
Flight distance : 538596 ft
United Kingdom

Oops! I'd say the weight distribution meant that the structure pivoted off the lower 'drum' section, as the heavier wall partially collapsed on the library side, offering more rotatory momentum. They should have weakened that lower 'drum' section too, on the tipping side - basically concrete towers are not like trees ... the collapsing tower 'rang like a bell' and because of the reenforcing oscillated like a dropped section of piping. This meant that the whole structure was momentarily 'walking' across the top of the lower section too.
In fact on closer inspection you can see in your video exactly what happened - the explosion pushed the slightly cut-way side of the main town section off the edge of the lower drum section... then the oscillations helped to wobble further over and as the tower's heavier side continued to collapse - momentum took it over ... and gravity did the rest.
2018-4-12
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

Suren Posted at 2018-4-12 08:59
The turbulence from the props pushed it the other way

Must be the reason
2018-4-12
Use props
M2Wair
First Officer
Flight distance : 1192231 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Opps Mavic Air destroys demolition...... All that damage just to get it on film, tut tut tut
2018-4-12
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Flight distance : 261509 ft

I tend to think this too, which brings us to the conclusion that as usual, it was all DJI's fault
2018-4-12
Use props
Drones Puppet
Second Officer
Flight distance : 390154 ft

fantastic video! thank you!!
2018-4-12
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

Wachtberger Posted at 2018-4-12 11:58
I tend to think this too, which brings us to the conclusion that as usual, it was all DJI's fault

Yes, unless we are unable to recover the drone and the flight logs show nothing unusual.
In that case it is a draw.....
2018-4-12
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

It looks like as silo falls, the side that was not cut out, goes on outside of base of silo.  Because top of silo was slight leaning towards cut side as planned, as it started to drop.
As part of silo on uncut side hits solid ground, it somewhat shears off silo above what would be cut line.  Leaving silo to where it can now tilt wrong direction.
The side that was cut out hits steel of silo that was not destroyed in blast and hits base of silo (about 16-feet up) that was not removed.  Resulting in silo being pushed direction it finally fell.  

Will be interesting to see what the Experts have to say as to cause.  

2018-4-12
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

Lamplighter55 Posted at 2018-4-12 10:40
Oops! I'd say the weight distribution meant that the structure pivoted off the lower 'drum' section, as the heavier wall partially collapsed on the library side, offering more rotatory momentum. They should have weakened that lower 'drum' section too, on the tipping side - basically concrete towers are not like trees ... the collapsing tower 'rang like a bell' and because of the reenforcing oscillated like a dropped section of piping. This meant that the whole structure was momentarily 'walking' across the top of the lower section too.
In fact on closer inspection you can see in your video exactly what happened - the explosion pushed the slightly cut-way side of the main town section off the edge of the lower drum section... then the oscillations helped to wobble further over and as the tower's heavier side continued to collapse - momentum took it over ... and gravity did the rest.

basically concrete towers are not like trees

I have seen a few trees felled that were not like trees too!

My favorite all time tree felling failure, resulted in a guy's station wagon (heavy steel of 60s), dangling by rear bumper, with front bumper touching the ground.

2018-4-12
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

Looks like it was worth covering with your drone.   

https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... amp;fromuid=1516520

Hope you can sell your video footage to: demolition company, insurance companies, or news media for enough money to buy another DJI Drone.

2018-4-12
Use props
ImTravis
lvl.3
Flight distance : 109734 ft
United States

That was a pretty awesome video. Glad no one got hurt.
2018-4-12
Use props
sky6105
Second Officer
Flight distance : 345653 ft
United States

Nice video right place right time.
2018-4-12
Use props
4WDaus
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1187257 ft
Australia

Isn’t this the same company that dropped the previous structure that also fell off target? Mmmm
2018-4-12
Use props
B1houdini
First Officer
Flight distance : 927927 ft
United States

I saw this mishap on our local station and at the time I thought the initial explosion caused it.
I noticed that the explosives that were used were padded to keep the pressure wave within the silo. It did that but also the pressure wave I believe blew out the back a millisecond  before the front collapsed.
It also could of been caused by a slight breeze blowing in the wrong direction.
2018-4-12
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

B1houdini Posted at 2018-4-12 16:56
I saw this mishap on our local station and at the time I thought the initial explosion caused it.
I noticed that the explosives that were used were padded to keep the pressure wave within the silo. It did that but also the pressure wave I believe blew out the back a millisecond  before the front collapsed.
It also could of been caused by a slight breeze blowing in the wrong direction.

Butterfly Effect?
2018-4-12
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft

Nice video. shocked!
2018-4-15
Use props
Henrik Olsen
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 2042385 ft