Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Mavic Air asking for compass calibration before every flight
64450 109 2018-4-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Hercules1
New
United States

Compass Calibration Issue. I got my Mavic Air a few weeks ago and I am having a major problem trying to calibrate the compass. I have done the latest updates as of 09 December and I also calibrated the IMU which says Normal. When I go outside to calibrate the compass, It does the horizontal fine but the Vertical will not calibrate at all. It keeps saying Atti Mode and aircraft will not start at all. I just went through a bit over a year with two XIRO V drones that after the update on them I could not get them to start no way no how. A crap pair of drones and the company was no support at all. I sincerely hope I am not going to have the same problem with DJI. I have heard nothing but rave reviews. Frustrating when the only time I can get to try and get them going is a Sunday and you cannot talk to anyone at DJI. Anyone out there on the blog have any ideas what is going on with my Mavic Air?
2018-12-9
Use props
ManuCH
lvl.1
Flight distance : 157881 ft
Switzerland

Same issue for me: I have a Mavic Air and I'm on the latest firmware (.0500). Everything else is also up-to-date (iOS, DJI Go 4 app).

About 2 out of every 3 times I turn on the Air, it will ask to calibrate - but only on the first flight of a day. Subsequent flights after calibration will be fine on that same day.

I have taken all the precautions:
- far away from any cars
- without wearing a smartwatch
- remote/phone not nearby
- not turning the Air upside down when switching it on, and holding it as close to the ground as possible while pressing the power button

I was thinking about having it replaced, but after reading from others in this thread that a replacement drone (or even 2) didn't solve the issue, I think I'll just keep it that way.
2019-1-20
Use props
HereForTheBeer
Captain
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

ManuCH Posted at 1-20 22:55
Same issue for me: I have a Mavic Air and I'm on the latest firmware (.0500). Everything else is also up-to-date (iOS, DJI Go 4 app).

About 2 out of every 3 times I turn on the Air, it will ask to calibrate - but only on the first flight of a day. Subsequent flights after calibration will be fine on that same day.

DJI needs to update instructions I submitted a complaint formally about this.    But easy to resolve.

When calibrating follow step 1.  Rotate the drone flat and lever in your hand.  But ignore step 2.  Instead for part 2. point the drone so camera facing the sky and spin it aroun  With it aimed up
2019-1-21
Use props
Anthony8858
Second Officer
Flight distance : 9711 ft
United States

I'd like to add..
I've also had the calibrate issue.

IMO, I think a big part of the problem is turning the MA upside down to power up.
I've now learned to position my finger on the power button and keeping the MA in its upright position before powering up.
Hit the button, then place on the ground making it my business not to tilt the MA.
Since doing that, I never get the compass error.
2019-1-24
Use props
TheVegeta1974
Captain
Flight distance : 1186296 ft
United States

Try turning your battier on before inserting into the drone n Make sure the Craft is > 10ft from metal
2019-1-24
Use props
HereForTheBeer
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Anthony8858 Posted at 1-24 03:34
I'd like to add..

could always try my instructions  i was dealing with almost every other flight needing calibration and no solid pattern as to why.     but since calibrating my compass differently (way you used to calibrate dji drones) the error has not appeared at all for me in several weeks.  

when doing calibration via app, folow step one, then ignore step 2 telling you to tilt the aircraft sideways, instead turn the drone so pointing up and down and camera facing thr sky then just spin it in place counter clockwise.   since doing this my compass hasnt complained one time! and it used to complain every flight or every other flight sometimes midflight :/

2019-1-24
Use props
Anthony8858
Second Officer
United States

HereForTheBeer Posted at 1-24 17:14
could always try my instructions  i was dealing with almost every other flight needing calibration and no solid pattern as to why.     but since calibrating my compass differently (way you used to calibrate dji drones) the error has not appeared at all for me in several weeks.  

when doing calibration via app, folow step one, then ignore step 2 telling you to tilt the aircraft sideways, instead turn the drone so pointing up and down and camera facing thr sky then just spin it in place counter clockwise.   since doing this my compass hasnt complained one time! and it used to complain every flight or every other flight sometimes midflight :/

Yes, I took note of that and will do that........ as soon as I get the error message (which you just know I'll get at my next flight )
2019-1-24
Use props
HereForTheBeer
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Anthony8858 Posted at 1-24 17:23
Yes, I took note of that and will do that........ as soon as I get the error message (which you just know I'll get at my next flight  )

hopefully it works out for you.
2019-1-24
Use props
Anthony8858
Second Officer
United States

HereForTheBeer Posted at 1-24 17:32
hopefully it works out for you.

Do you think the same applies to calibrating the P4P v2?
Haven't gotten any errors, but if I did need to calibrate the compass, should I point camera upward as well?
2019-1-24
Use props
jwishbone
Flight distance : 88914 ft
United States

Anthony8858 Posted at 1-24 03:34
I'd like to add..

That's what I do, power on with bottom of drone facing ground and immediately set it on ground and let it sit for 15 to 20 seconds or so.  Then I power on RC and wait for green light.  Then open go4 app.  This has reduced calibration requests by over 90 percent for me.  Hope this helps someone else.
2019-1-24
Use props
jwishbone
Flight distance : 88914 ft
United States

jwishbone Posted at 1-24 18:42
That's what I do, power on with bottom of drone facing ground and immediately set it on ground and let it sit for 15 to 20 seconds or so.  Then I power on RC and wait for green light.  Then open go4 app.  This has reduced calibration requests by over 90 percent for me.  Hope this helps someone else.

Sorry, meant to reply to post #84.   New guy mistake.
2019-1-24
Use props
HereForTheBeer
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Anthony8858 Posted at 1-24 18:13
Do you think the same applies to calibrating the P4P v2?
Haven't gotten any errors, but if I did need to calibrate the compass, should I point camera upward as well?

i would think it should work, but i dont have a phantom to verify
2019-1-24
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Captain
United States

HereForTheBeer Posted at 1-21 01:14
DJI needs to update instructions I submitted a complaint formally about this.    But easy to resolve.

When calibrating follow step 1.  Rotate the drone flat and lever in your hand.  But ignore step 2.  Instead for part 2. point the drone so camera facing the sky and spin it aroun  With it aimed up

Have to give your step #2 a try.
Possibly, no more Pirouettes in work boots.
2019-1-24
Use props
HereForTheBeer
Captain
  • >>>
United States

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 1-24 22:34
Have to give your step #2 a try.
Possibly, no more Pirouettes in work boots.

hopefully it works, its worth a shot!  been working out beautifully for me, haven't had to recalibrate since doing it this way!
2019-1-24
Use props
fans6a3d436c
New
United States

CHSDrone1 Posted at 2018-4-20 04:14
Thanks everyone for your input.   Just to update this thread DJI technical support asked me to send the drone back to them for repair/replacement.  Hopefully my next Mavic Air unit will not have the same issues.

Hi, did dji told you what's wrong with your drone when they received it? Did they sent you a new MA or the same one? Thanks
2019-3-24
Use props
Tupungato
lvl.1
Flight distance : 44350 ft
Poland

I've had my Mavic Air for 5 months now. I bought it from official DJI refurbished distribution. For first few months it asked for compass calibration a few times (visible red warning at the top of the screen in phone app). I calibrated and it was OK for next 4-5 flights. Now, regardless of how and when I take off, I need to calibrate (almost) every time. I start from wooden boardwalks, stone platforms, beaten ground, large cloth towel on a sandy beach. Sometimes I calibrate the compass, do my flight, land to change the battery and fly again and it wants to be calibrated again.

Should I try to exchange it?
2019-12-12
Use props
David J.
Captain
Flight distance : 1231385 ft
Spain

For me, as others have said, it usually prompts me when I try to start up near my car. Other times though it happens for no apparent reason. Better safe than sorry I guess, but defiantly gets annoying.
2019-12-12
Use props
Rob Hilts
New

Canada

90% of the time I can not fly the drone because of the issue that DJI won’t address.
2019-12-22
Use props
Guillo10
lvl.4
Flight distance : 413 ft
Argentina

Sigo con el problema, alguna solucion ¡¡?

Saludos
2020-1-10
Use props
vixbeegmail.com
New
Flight distance : 29127 ft
Mexico

Same issue here, it keep asking me to recalibrate just the first time of my 3 batteries, I have the MA red one but before that I tested a black one from costco and I remember that just was calibrated only on my first flight.
I'm using Iphone 12 (IOS)
I will try:
1) turning on the MA on face down
2) calibrate it facing it up
3) update firmware and factory reset

I'll keep you posted
2020-1-20
Use props
geigy
lvl.1
Flight distance : 456381 ft
United States

Late to the party here. I finally fixed my Mavic air after 2 years of recalibrating the compass nearly everyday. I did this by degaussing  the drone.

I used an old videotape degausser and held it about a foot away from the drone so it just barely caused the drone to vibrate for about one or two seconds.

After that the drone flies normally and I have not had to do that compass dance anymore.

If you decide to try this fix, easy does it. Hold the drone in one hand, unfolded, and with the other hand hold the degausser far from the drone, and bring it in slowly until you are just barely able to feel the vibration.
2020-4-25
Use props
djiuser_SURtc832VKXr
New
Flight distance : 12858 ft
United States

This is super annoying - literally every time I reboot my Mavic Air it requests I recalibrate it.  Regardless of where I am - I have been in open fields, golf courses, beaches, no metal in site and this problem persists.  This has even kept me from flying the drone in several occurrences.  Is this only a problem with the Mavic Air?  As I read on people state they did not have this issue with other DJI drones.  What is DJI doing to correct this issue?  It appears a lot of people are having the same problem being there are over 8,000 pages in this thread.  For the price i paid for this drone I would expect it to work perfectly.
2020-7-8
Use props
fansa7b1cca5
New

United Kingdom

I too have a Mavic air which needs calibrating every single time I take it out.  I’ve been and brought Mavic Air 2 and other than the very first calibration it’s never asked me to do it since I am probably up to my 50th flight now. That sort of ruled out any magnetic interference because I fly mainly in the same places. I would like to sell my Mavic air but I feel uncomfortable even put it up for sale knowing that they would have to calibrate it every single flight.
Andy. UK
2020-12-21
Use props
Fly_Hazr_Air
Second Officer
Flight distance : 56588 ft
United States

Solucki Posted at 2018-6-7 12:01
No electronics or metal of any kind on me, I even leave my phone with the RC when I turn it on.  I do have titanium in my ankle tho. :|  Could that be enough to trigger it?

I hear this guy might have more metal in him than you do.  Make sure you don't operate around this guy!

2021-3-22
Use props
Fly_Hazr_Air
Second Officer
Flight distance : 56588 ft
United States

This seems to be a big problem, but looks like this guy tried degaussing with good results.  See details below.  Good Luck!

2021-3-22
Use props
Guillo10
lvl.4
Argentina

Hola

Alguien logro solucionar el problema de la brújula  en 2021 o 2022 ? jjajajajaja

Saludos
2022-7-8
Use props
carlose71
lvl.1

Argentina

Guillo10 Posted at 2022-7-8 11:55
Hola

Alguien logro solucionar el problema de la brújula  en 2021 o 2022 ? jjajajajaja

Hi, I used the two techniques mentioned above in combination.
1- In step 2 of the calibration I placed the drone facing up.
2- I ALWAYS turn it on with the battery down.

For now, after testing with my 3 batteries, it has not asked for calibration again (it requested it in all cases).

I will try to keep you informed of my later experience to tell you how it went.
Greetings
Carlos
2023-7-25
Use props
SlammedZero
lvl.1
Flight distance : 3419 ft
United States

I've been having the same issues with my drone. Reading through this thread though, it did come to my attention that I flip my drone over a lot to insert the battery/power it on. I may have to try to avoid doing that and seeing if that helps.
2023-7-30
Use props
Vofas
Captain
Flight distance : 200853 ft
Russia

SlammedZero Posted at 7-30 16:57
I've been having the same issues with my drone. Reading through this thread though, it did come to my attention that I flip my drone over a lot to insert the battery/power it on. I may have to try to avoid doing that and seeing if that helps.

This should in no way affect the need for recalibration.
2023-7-31
Use props
Guillo10
lvl.4
Argentina

Hello, does anyone solve this calibration problem on the drone at the root?
without the solution being to change for another hahahahahaha

Greetings
2023-8-15
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules