How do you change from PAL to NTSC?
17161 19 2015-5-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
tchavalas
lvl.4

United States

My Phantom 3 Pro arrives Monday...

Some people have reported that when propted by the camera to choose NTSC or PAL the settings are actually backwards.  They selected NTSC and the camera was set to PAL.

Is this true for both iOS and Android versions of the app?

Is there a way to reset the video mode to switch from PAL to NTSC?
2015-5-8
Use props
Tahoe_Ed
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2605 ft
  • >>>
United States

Click on the settings icon, 4 dots, upper right hand corner and scroll down.
2015-5-8
Use props
Barrie McArthur
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1037615 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Tahoe_Ed Posted at 2015-5-9 07:59

Didn't realise DJI employed saints....with your patience at some of the questions asked here?
2015-5-8
Use props
tchavalas
lvl.4

United States

Thank you.
2015-5-9
Use props
tchavalas
lvl.4

United States

Sorry but I don't see any options for selecting the video mode.   I am using an iOS device running the 1.1.1 app.  I have scrolled down through all of those options and I see nothing for selecting PAL vs NTSC.  
I have seen that option on a video for the Inspire app.  But that option does not seem to appear in the Phantom 3 app.

Perhaps I don't see any option because my drone is not connected yet?  (My shipment does not arrive until Tuesday.)

I am just trying to familiarize my self with all of the settings & options prior to my drone arrival.

Thank you for your patience.
2015-5-9
Use props
tchavalas
lvl.4

United States

Barrie McArthur Posted at 2015-5-9 10:25
Didn't realise DJI employed saints....with your patience at some of the questions asked here?

Barrie,

My question remains un answered.  I have searched through every possible menu I can open on the app.  I have not found any selection for PAL vs NTSC.  Nor have I found any mention of it in the manuals.

I saw a control in a video for the Inspire app...  But that same control seems to be missing in the Phantom 3 app.
2015-5-9
Use props
Lurvis
lvl.2

United States

tchavalas@panos Posted at 2015-5-9 23:37
Barrie,

My question remains un answered.  I have searched through every possible menu I can open  ...

It's really not too hard....click on the camera/gear button on the right side, click "more", then scroll down to NTSC/PAL
2015-5-9
Use props
Calvette
lvl.4
Flight distance : 103222 ft
United States

I was thinking the same thing about the NTSC/PAL button but since I'm saving video to .MOV files what does it matter?
I guess if I was live streaming then I would be concerned.  I did try changing from PAL to NTSC without the controller on
and it moved back to PAL.
2015-5-9
Use props
FantomDK
lvl.4

Denmark

Calvette Posted at 2015-5-10 00:43
I was thinking the same thing about the NTSC/PAL button but since I'm saving video to .MOV files wha ...

It is a bit silly to use the NTSC/PAL distinction.

It does, however, matter which you set it for, because in one setting you do 25/50 and 24 frames per second ("AL") and in the other ("NTSC) you can select the 30/60 (and 24) frames per second.

So don't decide based on where you are in the world (US/EU), but which frame rates you prefer.
-

Buy your DJI-gear, batteries, cases by using this link - it'll help me out

2015-5-9
Use props
Calvette
lvl.4
Flight distance : 103222 ft
United States

FantomDK Posted at 2015-5-10 01:59

It does, however, matter which you set it for ...

Thanks, I'm on a huge learning curve with this equipment.
Feels like I'm 16 years old, driving for the first time and the car is a stick shift. LOL
2015-5-9
Use props
tchavalas
lvl.4

United States

FantomDK Posted at 2015-5-10 01:59

It does, however, matter which you set it for ...

Not really silly because all options for shooting at 30fps or 60fps don't EXIST on my app right now.  The only selections it's showing are 24, 25 and 50 fps.  

I need to shoot at 30fps for smooth editiing & playback on a USA HDTV's.  (Otherwise you see horrible drop frame jitter on a USA HDTV.)

There does not seem to be any option for switching the system to NTSC frame rates in the app right now.  (At least none that I can find.)
This is my whole point of asking the question.  There is NO option for shooting at 30 or 60 fps showing in the App right now.  There are no options for selecing frame rates other than 24, 25 or 50 fps.  In the USA we need the option for 30 or 60 fps.

UPDATE:  YES!  I found it!   Before you are given the option to select 30 or 60 fps... You must select the NTSC from the camera settings menu near the record button.  There is a selection for NTSC or PAL after hitting the "More" button in the camera settings menu.

Thanks!

2015-5-9
Use props
tchavalas
lvl.4

United States

Lurvis Posted at 2015-5-10 00:27
It's really not too hard....click on the camera/gear button on the right side, click "more", then  ...

Ahhh...  Thank You!

I just found the button for selecting NTSC or PAL!    It's in the Camera settings button.  NOT where Tahoe_Ed said to look.
Select the camera/gear button near the record button on the screen and then hit "More" and scroll down until you see the NTSC/PAL selector.

2015-5-9
Use props
tchavalas
lvl.4

United States

Nope.  Sorry... You are not quite correct.  That is NOT where the selection is.  (At least not in the iOS version 1.1.1)

You click on the Camera setting button.  Little camera/gear button next to the record button on the screen.  Then select "More" and scroll down until you see the NTSC/PAL selector.

2015-5-9
Use props
aburkefl
Second Officer
Flight distance : 78612 ft
United States

Someone is going to have to take me to the woodshed! I still don't see how to select NTSC.

In the upper right of my screen, the General Settings "button" looks like a little fuzzy gear (cog). It opens General Settings and there's nothing there that says "more."
(Edited - I'm running the Android version)
Someone else suggests it's a button near the record button (I guess it's the shutter button for photos and a start/stop button for video). At that location (right above the shutter) there is a smaller button that toggles between video/photo. Above that is a "Fn" That opens a dialog box on the left side of the screen to choose image format, image size, etc. No "more" there either. Below the playback button are three lines with dots on them. That opens a box to manage ISO, Shutter speed and exposure values.

Nothing on my screen with 4 dots!
2015-5-11
Use props
aburkefl
Second Officer
United States

Lurvis Posted at 2015-5-10 00:27
It's really not too hard....click on the camera/gear button on the right side, click "more", then  ...

Define the "camera/gear" button. I have a big white button (shutter - turns red when you go to video mode). The small white button above the shutter toggles between photo/video. Above the small white button is a label "Fn" that allows you to select video sizes (4K, 1080P, etc.).

Where's this magic "gear" button?
2015-5-11
Use props
aburkefl
Second Officer
United States

I would like to show you what my screen looks like, but uploading a photo is not exactly intuitive.
If I click on the pic icon here, it asks for an address - how do I get the picture uploaded to the forum?

Thanks
2015-5-11
Use props
aburkefl
Second Officer
United States

Struggled trying to figure out how to download the app via PC, transfer to Galaxy S5, install app, etc. Finally uninstalled the Pilot App on my S5, went shopping again and downloaded/installed Pilot App again - yaaaa!

The NTSC/PAL settings are available via the General Settings menu!

Sorry to have been a bother. You guys (and some gals!) have probably been going crazy with us users the last few days!

Thanks for your patience.
A happy P3 owner in Florida.
UPDATE: False Alarm! There's something amiss with the Pilot App. On my Galaxy S5 I have version 1.0.10 installed. There's apparently a version 1.1.0 around. I have a copy on my PC but have no idea how to get it installed on my S5. The version I'm currently running apparently doesn't have the right stuff. Certainly seems different from what others are seeing. Guess I'll just have to wait until the Google Play store has an updated version.
2015-5-11
Use props
philipluhn
lvl.1
Flight distance : 55607 ft
United States

I can confirm, the Android version appears to be missing any option to switch between NTSC and PAL. Currently I'm stuck in PAL recording at 50fps...
2015-5-13
Use props
Saka
New

Australia

Problem Solved

The App on the Google Play Store is out of date.  You need to install directly from the DJI website.  (You will need to set your permissions to allow this).  Browse to the Support/Downloads section.  (I could only find it on the desktop version of the site).

With the new Android version of the App you can change to NTSC quite easily.  
2015-5-16
Use props
austin
New
Flight distance : 400 ft
United States

Saka Posted at 2015-5-17 09:50
Problem Solved

The App on the Google Play Store is out of date.  You need to install directly from  ...

Thanks for the heads up!
2015-5-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules