DJI app - no auto landing warning
911 13 2018-4-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
mlloyd007
lvl.1

United Kingdom

There is no warning message when to cancel auto landing like there is to cancel RTH. Is there an option to enable this?
Thanks,

ML
2018-4-14
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13864580 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Push the throttle up (left stick in mode 2) to maintain altitude.
2018-4-14
Use props
msinger
Captain
Flight distance : 228255 ft
  • >>>
United States

The Mavic will auto land at its current location if the battery reaches the critically low level. There is no way to cancel that auto landing or prevent it from occurring.

The best you can do is hold the throttle in the full up position while steering your Mavic to a safe landing location. Keep in mind the battery will eventually shut off mid-flight if you attempt to keep your Mavic in the air too long. So, you should let it land in a safe location as quickly as possible.
2018-4-15
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>

Totally agree, It will only auto land if the battery is to low.
2018-4-15
Use props
ghostrdr
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1272723 ft
Malaysia

The bigger question is why are you allowing yourself to get in an auto landing scenario?
2018-4-15
Use props
integer
First Officer
Flight distance : 113355784 ft
Greece

ghostrdr Posted at 2018-4-15 05:59
The bigger question is why are you allowing yourself to get in an auto landing scenario?

Sometimes it happens...
2018-4-15
Use props
mlloyd007
lvl.1

United Kingdom

I was flying my drone home and was flying over trees. Battery level hit 10% and it started going down by itself without warning. Because of this it crashed into the trees. Luckily no damage but there really could have been.
2018-4-15
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Flight distance : 261509 ft

mlloyd007 Posted at 2018-4-15 12:05
I was flying my drone home and was flying over trees. Battery level hit 10% and it started going down by itself without warning. Because of this it crashed into the trees. Luckily no damage but there really could have been.

Sorry for your accident but also sorry to say, had you read the user manual carefully and this forum you would have known beforehand what was going to happen. Glad that all has ended well and next time you'll know for sure.
2018-4-15
Use props
QuadKid
First Officer
Flight distance : 482349 ft
United States

mlloyd007 Posted at 2018-4-15 12:05

Best rule of thumb is to have the AC at your feet with 30% battery left, I don't trust the battery %'s past 30% as they can be off from actual battery left. I few extra minutes is not worth losing your drone over.
2018-4-15
Use props
AG0N-Gary
First Officer
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

Once you have learned this lesson, perhaps you'll do as I have since I got mine.  I set low battery warning at 35% and critical battery at 10%.  When it gives me the low warning, which I normally see coming beforehand, I head for home right then, normally arriving with lots of battery left.

Gary
2018-4-15
Use props
B1houdini
First Officer
Flight distance : 927927 ft
United States

QuadKid Posted at 2018-4-15 12:19
Best rule of thumb is to have the AC at your feet with 30% battery left, I don't trust the battery %'s past 30% as they can be off from actual battery left. I few extra minutes is not worth losing your drone over.

I agree with QuadKid.
I myself start to bring it home when I am between 50% and 40%
I found that when the battery warning hits 30% it seems to drop in battery life quicker. I don't want to take the chance of it landing with out my guidance.

2018-4-15
Use props
Brad Bilger
Second Officer
Flight distance : 14843274 ft

B1houdini Posted at 2018-4-15 13:37
I agree with QuadKid.
I myself start to bring it home when I am between 50% and 40%
I found that when the battery warning hits 30% it seems to drop in battery life quicker. I don't want to take the chance of it landing with out my guidance.

When I first started flying my MP, my battery levels were set at 20-10.  I found I didn't like that.  I bumped them to 30-10.  Now, when I'm flying when my battery hits 30%, I turn THEN and head straight home.  Why dilly-dally around?  Even when I'm a few hundred yards out, when it hits 30%, I turn, head home and land and that usually burns about 10%.  I care too much about my Mavic to run the risk of damage.  No matter the distance out, I have never landed with a battery less than 20%.  
2018-4-15
Use props
fansfe86a921
lvl.2
Flight distance : 578701 ft
Singapore

I am using 30-10 setting as well.  I fly it back home when it has about 10 mins left.  I may still take some shot near home location.  My lowest ever was landed with 3 mins left.  
2018-4-15
Use props
fans9639465a
lvl.1
Flight distance : 187940 ft

United States

Just had a similar problem.
I've had my Mavic Pro for over a year now, and am an experienced pilot. I fly it at least 2-3 times a week just to stay in practice, and consider myself to be a competent pilot with it.

I was out flying my Mavic Pro, completely away from ANY restricted airspace or geofencing. Around my neighborhood as always with no problems.
I was out getting used to the fixed wing mode, and having a great time.
Everything was going smoothly as usual, until I came close to the limit (25%) on the battery power. So, like always I hit the return-to-home and was watching my drone start heading back for a regular landing.
Unfortunately at just the wrong time a headwind started to pick up and getting home was going to be close, but still possible. However the battery level was dropping quickly, and then at 13% battery the drone went into it's automatic landing mode.
I tried to cancel the automatic landing mode so I could fly it another 190 feet to the road where I could land safely.
However when I went to cancel the automatic landing mode, the button was grey and I was unable to cancel it. I tried everything I knew to get out of the mode while I still had about 10-13% battery, but nothing happened!
I've had to do this before (with less than 10% battery), and successfully cancelled the auto landing mode, flew the drone about 300 feet to a safe landing site.

However when I tried to do just that, I COULD NOT CANCEl THE AUTO LANDING!

I'm fighting with the controller, trying to figure out what was happening and the drone just hovered above a bunch of pine trees because it wasn't a good landing place.

If I were able to cancel the auto-landing, fly it manually another 190 feet I would have been able to land easily and safely on a dirt road.
Instead the controls would not respond to anything, and eventually the drone ran out of battery power, the props stopped and it landed in the top of an 80-foot tall pine tree!
It looked like it had a rather soft landing in the tree, I just hope it wasn't damaged.
Since the forest is so dense it's difficult to even find it, I'll have to go back out tomorrow and search for it. I don't even know if I'll be able to see it up in the tree.

So my question is why the hell did DJI make it so you can no longer cancel the auto landing? You used to be able to do so, but now you cannot!
If I had been able to cancel the auto-landing like before my Mavic Pro would not be stuck 80 feet up a pine tree!
DJI should have warned all its users about this critically important change to the firmware, had I known I would have changed how I fly it.
DJI FIX THIS, NOTIFY YOUR CUSTOMERS WHEN YOU MAKE RADICAL CHANGES THAT COULD AFFECT THE SAFETY OF OPERATING A DRONE!

After reviewing my flight log, I noticed that I started the RTH at  about 40%, it flew for only about 1 minute or so and the battery suddenly dropped to 20%!  I'm guessing that this battery is nearing the end of it's life. Also when it stopped to do the auto-landing due to low battery, after about 20 seconds it went from 13% to 10% and then almost immediately went to 1%.
Looks like if I ever get the drone out of the tree I'll be buying a new battery.

Regardless, if I was still able to have cancelled the auto-landing like I had to do a couple times previously I could have flown my drone a short distance to a safe place to land it!
DJI changed something that made flying the drone LESS SAFE!
DJI FIX THIS!
2019-4-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules