Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Mavic Air Camera Wheel on controller rotating aircraft
12Next >
51826 44 2018-4-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
UlyssesGz
lvl.1
Costa Rica

Hello,

I've recently been using my mavic air and noticed and from a certain distance when flying the camera wheel on the controller (to tilt the camera up and down) is making my drone rotate. If I tilt the camera up the drone rotates to the right, and if I tilt it down it has the opposite effect. I have the latest firmware on both the controller and drone. Anybody else having this issue? It's really annoying since I basically lose all control of the aircraft and it messes whatever video I'm taking. It's been a while now and I haven't been able to find info on the matter on the web.

Thanks in advance for any advise or troubleshootings steps,

Ulises
2018-4-14
Use props
GazFromBrum
Second Officer
Flight distance : 38606 ft
United Kingdom

Do you have your hand on the left stick while rotating wheel..... could you inadvertently be adding yaw at the same time......  try rotating the wheel with hand off the left stick.   
2018-4-14
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft

Hi Ulises, you may have touched the joystick of the remote controller inadvertently, it is very sensitive. Thanks!
2018-4-14
Use props
UlyssesGz
lvl.1
Costa Rica

DJI Diana Posted at 2018-4-14 22:07
Hi Ulises, you may have touched the joystick of the remote controller inadvertently, it is very sensitive. Thanks!

Hey Diana,

Thanks for getting back to me! Unfortunately no, I've had this issue happens to me several times. I've tried tilting the camera both ways without touching the stick. The funny thing is that the drone responds and rotates depending on which way I tilt the camera. If I tilt it up, the drone rotates to the right. If I tit it down it rotates to the left. No matter whether I'm touching the stick or not.

It doesn't happen when I first take off, it happens when I'm about 20m or so off my position. It resets when I land. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Ulises
2018-4-15
Use props
DH_Pilot
Captain
Flight distance : 3301621 ft
  • >>>
Slovakia

UlyssesGz Posted at 2018-4-15 06:20
Hey Diana,

Thanks for getting back to me! Unfortunately no, I've had this issue happens to me several times. I've tried tilting the camera both ways without touching the stick. The funny thing is that the drone responds and rotates depending on which way I tilt the camera. If I tilt it up, the drone rotates to the right. If I tit it down it rotates to the left. No matter whether I'm touching the stick or not.

When there is short distance between RC and drone is it happening as well or not?
2018-4-15
Use props
UlyssesGz
lvl.1
Costa Rica

DH_Pilot Posted at 2018-4-15 08:03
When there is short distance between RC and drone is it happening as well or not?

Not at first, but when the issue starts it doesn't matter if it's close or far.
2018-4-15
Use props
Budd4
New
Flight distance : 20745 ft
Germany

Hey guys, I do have the same issue with my mavic air. Every time when I try to tilt my camera, it is rotating the drone. Like UlyssesGz mentioned tilt and rotation are somehow linked together. Thanks for any help
2018-4-30
Use props
Datadogie
Second Officer
Flight distance : 27028 ft
Netherlands

Maybe need to do a firmware  (not update) replace. I read some where someone  downgraded then upgraded back to the latest one. Or can you just do it again? DJI guru's  will explain better.
2018-5-1
Use props
Lololeebre
lvl.1
Flight distance : 347612 ft
Spain

Hello,
Same issue here. Any ideas?
Thank you!
2018-7-8
Use props
GDL
First Officer
Flight distance : 2768694 ft
Singapore

I never have this issue. Interest to know what caused that. Can you upload the flight log for people here to take a look?
2018-7-8
Use props
msinger
Captain
Flight distance : 228255 ft
  • >>>
United States

Did any of you try reinstalling DJI GO?
2018-7-8
Use props
GDL
First Officer
Flight distance : 2768694 ft
Singapore

No problem to delete DJI Go and install again. Just sync flight log before deleting if you want to keep.
2018-7-8
Use props
Lololeebre
lvl.1
Spain

I have it in the Crystalsky. I will reset it now.

My issue is the same as this one, except the mavic air does rolls (mine moves laterally):

Thank you for the ideas and help!
WWheel.gif
2018-7-9
Use props
Lololeebre
lvl.1
Spain

Bad news. After reset to factory parameters, reinstall firmware, IMU, compass and auto-cal gimbal, it does the same. With iOS and CrystalSky.
My retailer says 3 weeks to China and back... And I have DJI care...

In case you wonder... with the other hand I'm recording the video!

2018-7-11
Use props
Mavicmavicmavic
New
Flight distance : 228091 ft
United States

Just wanted to share here, I have the same problem with my mavic air and I noticed it appears to be an RC issue not the aircraft. I had my mavic powered off and could watch the gimbal wheel cause both gimbal wheel and stick input in the go4 app.

2018-7-25
Use props
Mavicmavicmavic
New
Flight distance : 228091 ft
United States

I've deleted and reinstalled the app as well as calibrate rc. I did also factory reset my aircraft and replace firmware and calibrate imu all before I realized it's an RC issue.
2018-7-25
Use props
JERRY K
lvl.4
Flight distance : 308327 ft

It might be a bad mother board
2018-7-25
Use props
djiuser_W9ouL9C5RZrV
lvl.3
Flight distance : 759088 ft

Lololeebre Posted at 2018-7-11 07:41
Bad news. After reset to factory parameters, reinstall firmware, IMU, compass and auto-cal gimbal, it does the same. With iOS and CrystalSky.
My retailer says 3 weeks to China and back...  And I have DJI care...
I have upload a video here.

Hello I have same problem drone turn with wheel on controller lee
2018-8-5
Use props
Lololeebre
lvl.1
Spain

After send the mavic air and the remote to DJI, the Recommended Service Center changed my remote for another one (not new btw) but it works fine Thank you all for the help!
2018-8-8
Use props
kovat53
Captain
Flight distance : 324521 ft
Hungary

Just the same, my MA turns right using camera controller in random situations.... (occasionally)
2018-8-10
Use props
Amjad1983
Second Officer
Flight distance : 310489 ft
United Arab Emirates

Lololeebre Posted at 2018-7-11 07:41
My retailer says 3 weeks to China and back...  And I have DJI care...
I have upload a video here.

can you try using android instead of IOS?
2018-8-11
Use props
kovat53
Captain
Hungary

JERRY K Posted at 2018-7-25 19:35
It might be a bad mother board

I don't think so, I would vote 0400 firmware.
2018-8-11
Use props
Charissa
Captain
Flight distance : 689334 ft
South Africa

Not on topic, but what did u use for the camera holder? I need something like that, the wires forever in my way while flying.
2018-8-11
Use props
WebParrot
Captain
Flight distance : 23625 ft
  • >>>
United States

Amjad1983 Posted at 2018-8-11 02:45

Doesn't matter.  Note @Lololeebre uses Crystal Sky which uses Android.  
2018-8-11
Use props
kovat53
Captain
Hungary

G

Amjad1983 Posted at 2018-8-11 02:45

I use Android (Samsg Galaxy S7 Edge), still the same
2018-8-11
Use props
kovat53
Captain
Hungary

DJI Diana Posted at 2018-4-14 22:07

Hi, Diana,

I flew a bit to examine the camera control button's behavior. I can confirm, that -randomly- moving the camera control knob resulted MA's right or left side movement. I played a bit, left hovering the plane and moved the right joystick left then right. After released the stick, took my fingers away from the sticks and moved only the camera tilt button. Sometimes MA started to move (not turning!) left or right depending on the left or right turning of the button. Not always, sometimes happened this left/right movement. It is  obvious or I guess something happened after updating the firmware, I have never realised this type of malfunction during 0300 fw. I think, better said hope it is not hardware problem and will be corrected  with the next  fw update. Please forward to your software engineers. Thank you very much!
2018-8-12
Use props
LordoftheFlies
lvl.4

Looks like a job for DJI support. Unless you want to crack open a controller and start mucking about with surface mount components.
2018-8-12
Use props
Kfir oaknin
New

Israel

Hello unfortunately I also have the same problem
Someone knows what the solution to the problem is
I turned to the DJI and I was waiting for an answer
?
It looks like it's a general bug in the series of
  Remote
2018-12-15
Use props
HereForTheBeer
Captain
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

Seeing as multiple people have this issue I suspect maybe more to it than some hardware failures..  

My mavic air doesn't have this issue but it does have two little annoying issues since 0.500 that is A. Compass constantly wants calibration even if the drone shows very low bias and B. I had my gimbal mid air reset a few times.. seems more common in the cold windy air... Flying into 20mph wind that is probably zero degree the gimbal viberates alot then It resets and then errors out, I flown in 30+ mph summer/fall winds and never had this issue.  

Flying on 0.400 (rolled back) this issue doesn't happen my gimbal acts normal and compass doesn't seem as picky..
2018-12-15
Use props
Bryan Miranda
New

United States

UlyssesGz Posted at 4-15 06:20
Hey Diana,

Thanks for getting back to me! Unfortunately no, I've had this issue happens to me several times. I've tried tilting the camera both ways without touching the stick. The funny thing is that the drone responds and rotates depending on which way I tilt the camera. If I tilt it up, the drone rotates to the right. If I tit it down it rotates to the left. No matter whether I'm touching the stick or not.

See I don't understand why folks would say things like maybe you're touching the joystick like that's a completely different button and if this wasnt happening to me I would still understand exactly what you're saying, i know most folks are trying to help but from your description I would not assume that you were making a beginner mistake like inadvertently moving the joystick smh. Anyway I'm having a similar issue, only my aircraft moves horizontally left or right when i touch the camera wheel left or right.
2018-12-25
Use props
Winston Cheng
lvl.1
Flight distance : 361014 ft
Singapore

I had this issue when flying with Litchi today. The aircraft rolled when I turned the camera dial. When I switched to DJI Go 4, it was back to normal. I thought the fault lies with Litchi but from what I'm reading here. it seemed like a RC problem.
2019-1-2
Use props
Kfir oaknin
New

Israel

Winston Cheng Posted at 1-2 00:39
I had this issue when flying with Litchi today. The aircraft rolled when I turned the camera dial. When I switched to DJI Go 4, it was back to normal. I thought the fault lies with Litchi but from what I'm reading here. it seemed like a RC problem.

It's like a remote control's disease
DJI
Not taking responsibility for this problem
She blames the client for the remote control
is broken

That's what they wrote me by email without seeing the remote control
2019-1-6
Use props
zksky
lvl.1
Flight distance : 5820289 ft
Czechia

The same issue here - moving camera wheel on RC results MA's right or left side movement. Did anybody succeed to get any helpful support from DJI? Dragging on the phone's display moves just the camera.
2019-2-16
Use props
kovat53
Captain
Hungary

Formerly camera tilt button movement made my MA to move right/left. After reinstalling firmware/factory reset / recalibrating compass  this kind of problem went away. I suggest you to do the same.
2019-2-17
Use props
dronieuk
Second Officer
Flight distance : 17018 ft
United Kingdom

This is interesting.
I'm still waiting for DJI support to reply why I lost complete control of my Air back in December last year.
It sounds possible that I was attempting to tilt the camera at the time which caused the drone to go into a spin and fly off.
Thankfully I was able to recover from and land the Air.

I'm supposed to be getting a reply from DJI 'soon' about what caused it, I have been so worried about using my Air since I almost lost it.
The logs I sent clearly showed no input from the controller sticks, but I didn't look at what was happening with the wheel.
2019-2-21
Use props
kovat53
Captain
Hungary

dronieuk Posted at 2-21 01:48
This is interesting.
I'm still waiting for DJI support to reply why I lost complete control of my Air back in December last year.
It sounds possible that I was attempting to tilt the camera at the time which caused the drone to go into a spin and fly off.

"I'm supposed to be getting a reply from DJI 'soon' about what caused it,"

Please make DJI's answer public on Forum. I am very curious  what could be behind this behavior, (former I had this as well). Thanks
2019-2-21
Use props
nepalicana
lvl.1
Flight distance : 27228 ft
South Korea

Hi there Folks,
I had the same issue with my mavic air. I noticed that as well after a firmware update while I was on a tour. So, I couldn't get a better footage of my subjects but some how I managed. I was seeking for answers online but was not able to get one. So, since I was leaving here in Shanghai, I went to DJI store at Xintiandi and explained my issue. As they came across there, they told me that they had to sent my aircraft to Shenzhen to test flight. So, I did sent it to Shenzhen for inspection and they came out with a quotation that I had some problem with my sensors and since there were minor crashes to the drone previously they asked me to fix all those for about RMB700.

I knew this was not necessary, so I refused to pay asked them to send back my drone. Because I was confident that it was issue with the software, but they didn't took my issue in that way but take a look at the drone and came out as: there were crash injuries with the drone that's why I was having this issue but man, that crash happen way ahead than I had this gimbal wheel rotation issue with the aircraft. I was really a big hassle for me to get back my drone back (cause I had to talk with them in Chinese) but managed to get it back.

So after I got back my drone, I noticed they did hard reset with my drone. Then I came up with idea, I downgrade my controller firmware, which didn't really help.

SOLUTION: I RECALIBRATED MY REMOTE CONTROLLER FROM DJI GO 4 APP WHICH FIXED THE PROBLEM. SO, GUYS TRY IT OUT, BEFORE YOU SEND YOUR DRONE TO SHENZHEN. I DON'T THINK THAT THEY EVEN GOT MY PROBLEM THERE.

While calibrating my RC I noticed that my rotation stick to the aircraft had about 6% increment even if the stick was not being touched so, I calibrated several times and that helped.

I think there was a bug in the new firmware which led my RC to act like this. So, I suggest you to do every calibration (compass, IMU, RC) after you update to new firmware.
2019-4-4
Use props
dronieuk
Second Officer
Flight distance : 17018 ft
United Kingdom

kovat53 Posted at 2-21 02:08
"I'm supposed to be getting a reply from DJI 'soon' about what caused it,"

Please make DJI's answer public on Forum. I am very curious  what could be behind this behavior, (former I had this as well). Thanks

So finally DJI confirmed that the drone lost compass mid flight (which I guess should never happen).
Drone returned - still waiting for the replacement, but the diagnostic given was failed core board.

I'm very pleased they honoured the warranty as otherwise they would have tried to charge me £200+ for the replacement.

I'm still going to question why it took 3 months to confirm and request a RMA. A customer should not be expected to wait so long.
2019-4-5
Use props
djiuser_1rGbokX5Et2k
lvl.1

Spain

Any new solution? I tried everything and no success
2019-6-15
Use props
djiuser_hltPuxbmdasm
lvl.3
Flight distance : 10802589 ft
Bulgaria

I have a Mavic Mini and it's doing exactly the same thing that you describe!!! How did you fix this issue, please let me know, this is killing me really!? But it does exactly exactly what you describe. Then when I use the sticks to yaw it it fixes itself for a while. Then I fly straight and all of the sudden it yaws left all by itself! And the camera tilts down while it yaws left! Then when I turn the wheel right it tilts the camera up! I tried doind full 360s in both directions, the camera reaches its limit either +20 it - 90 degrees and the drone carries on yawing while the gimbal wheel is pushed.. It even does is gently when the wheel is turned less!

DJI please help me fix this!

So sad...

2020-10-12
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules