Mavic Pro Fell out of sky. Please view log
4883 38 2018-4-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
SparksBird
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10731690 ft
United States

So was just flying as normal today.  Was a very good day, no wind to fly at my park.  Anyway after about 10 minutes into the flight it just fell out of the sky.  Luckily it seems to of softly landed in a bush and no apparent damage other than two damaged propellers.  After the crash I replaced the two propellers, did a IMU, Compass and Gimbal calabriation with no issues.  Afraid to fly now after this happened.  Can someone tell me what happened?  Wanted to add there have been no crashes or issues prior to this.

http://www.phantomhelp.com/logviewer/SA8LP3G6NL2AOS1X9IPP/
2018-4-14
Use props
SparksBird
Second Officer
United States

Hoping someone here can help.  Really do not want to fly now.  Noticed in the log right before crash was a "speed error"  After that it started descending fast then crashed into the bush.  You can see in the path I was flying nothing was in the way to cause it to crash and I had 19 sat's locked on.  Just weird and wish I was recording at the time but was not.  It is as if it did a flip mid-air than went straight down.  Like I said I changed the two broken props and that was all the damage I could tell, everything else looks fine.  And I was able to Calibrate the IMU, Compass and Gimbal after without issue.  I really want to figure out what happened.  Was just flying normal when it happened.  Very weird.  
2018-4-14
Use props
DJT_MVSP
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2018645 ft
Singapore

There is a possibility that it collided with something in mid air. Did you see anything coming close to it before it fell out of the sky?
2018-4-14
Use props
SparksBird
Second Officer
United States

DJT_MVSP Posted at 2018-4-14 17:41
There is a possibility that it collided with something in mid air. Did you see anything coming close to it before it fell out of the sky?

Nope it did not hit anything.  Was easily clear of anything.   I was watching on the screen and nothing was in the way.  Was looking up what that "speed error" means but could not find anything.  You can see in the log first thing that happened was it said speed error then started descending fast.  
2018-4-14
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>

SparksBird Posted at 2018-4-14 17:28
Hoping someone here can help.  Really do not want to fly now.  Noticed in the log right before crash was a "speed error"  After that it started descending fast then crashed into the bush.  You can see in the path I was flying nothing was in the way to cause it to crash and I had 19 sat's locked on.  Just weird and wish I was recording at the time but was not.  It is as if it did a flip mid-air than went straight down.  Like I said I changed the two broken props and that was all the damage I could tell, everything else looks fine.  And I was able to Calibrate the IMU, Compass and Gimbal after without issue.  I really want to figure out what happened.  Was just flying normal when it happened.  Very weird.

Everything looked good until 10mins 6s in. My best guess is one motor stop spinning. tall tale is the rapid loss of altitude. Also the motor error is telling the motor is not spinning up to speed as the rest. just do a low flight hover test if your bird still flies.
2018-4-14
Use props
B1houdini
First Officer
Flight distance : 927927 ft
United States

From what I can tell from the flight data one of the motor or motors lost lift or resistance.
Ether the prop disengaged because of one of the hold down tabs broke or as DJT mention the drone collided with something. It might also be one of the motors just stopped.
I would check all props for good connection to the motors. Start the motors and let it idle to see if you can see any vibrations or difference in sound from the props.

Maybe someone else on the forum can give you a better answer and advise. I am just guessing.

Here is a 3D photo of your flight as it ended.

2018-4-14
Use props
SparksBird
Second Officer
United States

Woe Posted at 2018-4-14 18:15
Everything looked good until 10mins 6s in. My best guess is one motor stop spinning. tall tale is the rapid loss of altitude. Also the motor error is telling the motor is not spinning up to speed as the rest. just do a low flight hover test if your bird still flies.

Ok I will do  a low hover test.  I always ensure the props are properly secured before each flight.  Still though possibility one came lose during flight.
2018-4-14
Use props
SparksBird
Second Officer
United States

B1houdini Posted at 2018-4-14 18:17
From what I can tell from the flight data one of the motor or motors lost lift or resistance.
Ether the prop disengaged because of one of the hold down tabs broke or as DJT mention the drone collided with something. It might also be one of the motors just stopped.
I would check all props for good connection to the motors. Start the motors and let it idle to see if you can see any vibrations or difference in sound from the props.

Very cool thank you for uploading the 3d flight data.  I am just very so very lucky it landed in a bush and all I can tell was damaged was two props.  Luckily I had some spares so replaced.  How long should I do a low hover test do you think?   Maybe an entire battery just to be sure?
2018-4-14
Use props
lomo2017
lvl.4

United States

There was actually a warning at 10 m 2.9s Motor idling (missing or loose blades)
2018-4-14
Use props
B1houdini
First Officer
United States

SparksBird Posted at 2018-4-14 18:29
Very cool thank you for uploading the 3d flight data.  I am just very so very lucky it landed in a bush and all I can tell was damaged was two props.  Luckily I had some spares so replaced.  How long should I do a low hover test do you think?   Maybe an entire battery just to be sure?

That might be a good idea . I would add a little movement with the sticks . If everything looks  good you might take it for a spin ,not to high or to far.
It is always possible it was a one time glitch and will never happen again. I had a Gimbal glitch and thought the MP was a goner. Only happen once . It is now back to normal without any problems.

Good luck

2018-4-14
Use props
SparksBird
Second Officer
United States

lomo2017 Posted at 2018-4-14 18:37
There was actually a warning at 10 m 2.9s Motor idling (missing or loose blades)

Yeah at that point it had crashed.  Notice the Altitude.  That is when it had landed in the bush.  Two of the props were broken after the fact.
2018-4-14
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>

SparksBird Posted at 2018-4-14 18:27
Ok I will do  a low hover test.  I always ensure the props are properly secured before each flight.  Still though possibility one came lose during flight.

Very possible.
2018-4-14
Use props
SparksBird
Second Officer
United States

B1houdini Posted at 2018-4-14 19:00
That might be a good idea . I would add a little movement with the sticks . If everything looks  good you might take it for a spin ,not to high or to far.
It is always possible it was a one time glitch and will never happen again. I had a Gimbal glitch and thought the MP was a goner. Only happen once . It is now back to normal without any problems.

I am truly hoping you are right that it was a one time issue.  Really hoping that is the case here.  So I started it up.  All motors sounded fine and normal.  Took it up about 5 feet and let it hover for a few minutes.  Walked around and all sound and seemed fine.  I did just that and took it for a short cruise.  Took it about 1000 feet out and back and all seems fine.  Really knocking on wood here that it is good to go.  Cannot believe that it luckily landed in a bush minimizing the impact and damage to just the props.  Still though may send it in to DJI to ensure all is good.  I also extracted the blackbox data just in case.  Thanks for your recommendation's.  
2018-4-14
Use props
B1houdini
First Officer
United States

SparksBird Posted at 2018-4-14 19:06
I am truly hoping you are right that it was a one time issue.  Really hoping that is the case here.  So I started it up.  All motors sounded fine and normal.  Took it up about 5 feet and let it hover for a few minutes.  Walked around and all sound and seemed fine.  I did just that and took it for a short cruise.  Took it about 1000 feet out and back and all seems fine.  Really knocking on wood here that it is good to go.  Cannot believe that it luckily landed in a bush minimizing the impact and damage to just the props.  Still though may send it in to DJI to ensure all is good.  I also extracted the blackbox data just in case.  Thanks for your recommendation's.

No problem.
I just hope as you do that it was a one time glitch.
Of course sending it back for a checkup can't hurt unless they fine a problem and then send you back a refurbished one. That you don't want.

Keep us informed on how things turn out.
Happy flying and fly safe.
2018-4-14
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft

Hi, I'm sorry to hear about the accident. For flight safety purpose, please kindly start a case and send it in for full diagnosis: https://www.dji.com/support. If the drone is still in warranty period, the local team will arrange data analysis after they received the package. If you encounter any difficulties during the repair progress, feel free to contact us with your case number, we'll be here for help.
2018-4-14
Use props
lomo2017
lvl.4

United States

SparksBird Posted at 2018-4-14 19:02
Yeah at that point it had crashed.  Notice the Altitude.  That is when it had landed in the bush.  Two of the props were broken after the fact.

You’ve been getting speed errors before you get the warning about loose prop.
To me it sounds like you had a broken or loose prop before it crashed,
And I think it crashed at 10m 6.2s, about after 3s after loose prop warning, when it said motor obstructed.
Were the props still connected (locked) to the motors when you retrieve it?
2018-4-14
Use props
Suren
Captain
Flight distance : 13425892 ft
  • >>>
South Africa

Sorry about that Sparks, lucky no serious damage. Don't be afraid to take off again Sometimes we all have to experience an issue
2018-4-14
Use props
Bob Brown
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4209662 ft
  • >>>
United States

B1houdini Posted at 2018-4-14 19:00
It is always possible it was a one time glitch and will never happen again. I had a Gimbal glitch and thought the MP was a goner. Only happen once . It is now back to normal without any problems.

Off OP topic... the MP gimble reset is a "software/hardware bug thing" and is quite common.
2018-4-15
Use props
SparksBird
Second Officer
United States

lomo2017 Posted at 2018-4-14 21:53
You’ve been getting speed errors before you get the warning about loose prop.
To me it sounds like you had a broken or loose prop before it crashed,
And I think it crashed at 10m 6.2s, about after 3s after loose prop warning, when it said motor obstructed.

You know I bet you are right.  Based in the trajectory of the fall as it kind of fell to the right the right props both blades were broken off now it did not occur to me right away but if you think about it this is very likely due to the fall direction something had to of happened to the right front prop.  I never really looked for the broken blades as I wanted to ensure the MP was still good so left out of there.  But both were cleanly broken off although the main part that connects to the motor was still intact.  Also the way like I said it flipped to the right like it did it all makes sense.
2018-4-15
Use props
SparksBird
Second Officer
United States

Suren Posted at 2018-4-14 22:24
Sorry about that Sparks, lucky no serious damage. Don't be afraid to take off again Sometimes we all have to experience an issue

I really think the issue was the prop and it seems to be fine so hopefully all will be good.  Yeah man it was a scary moment.  I expected the worst after seeing the fall in my screen.  Just so darn lucky for a bush that saved the MP.  And you are right that is such a true statement about life really and is how we learn and grow
2018-4-15
Use props
Suren
Captain
  • >>>
South Africa

SparksBird Posted at 2018-4-15 06:11
I really think the issue was the prop and it seems to be fine so hopefully all will be good.  Yeah man it was a scary moment.  I expected the worst after seeing the fall in my screen.  Just so darn lucky for a bush that saved the MP.  And you are right that is such a true statement about life really and is how we learn and grow

Just take it easy next time, like the guys mentioned above start of slow again with just hover tests and then small distances. Hope all works out well for you my friend
2018-4-15
Use props
SparksBird
Second Officer
United States

Suren Posted at 2018-4-15 08:21
Just take it easy next time, like the guys mentioned above start of slow again with just hover tests and then small distances. Hope all works out well for you my friend

Yup I will for a while be doing just that.  Will test out hover today at tennis court playing tennis with the wife and kids.  Making sure not to hover directly over us haha.  That is for sure.  Will be a perfect chance to test out hover for a few batteries.  I figure if it does well which I expect then it should be good.  Will see some tennis superstars LOL
2018-4-15
Use props
fansb46c588b
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Motor Obstructed error means you probably hit something up there. Bird or leaf or something.
2018-4-15
Use props
Suren
Captain
  • >>>
South Africa

SparksBird Posted at 2018-4-15 08:31
Yup I will for a while be doing just that.  Will test out hover today at tennis court playing tennis with the wife and kids.  Making sure not to hover directly over us haha.  That is for sure.  Will be a perfect chance to test out hover for a few batteries.  I figure if it does well which I expect then it should be good.  Will see some tennis superstars LOL

Post the video
2018-4-15
Use props
SparksBird
Second Officer
United States

fansb46c588b Posted at 2018-4-15 08:34
Motor Obstructed error means you probably hit something up there. Bird or leaf or something.

It all happened so fast I just did not see anything on the screen as I was watching it happen.  I just wish I was recording at the time.  Was really just a casual fun flight at the park with the kids so not trying to get any footage or anything.  I will be recording entire time for the next few flights though now.
2018-4-15
Use props
SparksBird
Second Officer
United States

Ok so a little conundrum here.  Well I was not able to fly the MP today due to high wind.  But from what I tested yesterday all seems fine.  Was able to Calibrate the IMU, Compass and Gimbal sucesfully.  Also took it 1000 feet out and back and let it hover for a while and no issues.  Also took a few pictures and all are as should be.  So far all seems good.  Would you send it in to DJI repair?  All the horror stories I have heard just really make me hesitant especially if there is no issue.  Would you do it anyway and send it in?  Also my MP was a refurb unit I purchased on Amazon and is just 30 days old.  What would you do?  Thank you everyone who has helped here.  It really is much appreciated.
2018-4-15
Use props
Bob Brown
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4209662 ft
  • >>>
United States

Without reading the entire thread I would say defective/broken propeller is the root cause of the crash.
2018-4-15
Use props
AG0N-Gary
First Officer
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

I record entire flights all of the time so I can troubleshoot if something comes up mid-air.
2018-4-15
Use props
SparksBird
Second Officer
United States

AG0N-Gary Posted at 2018-4-15 18:43
I record entire flights all of the time so I can troubleshoot if something comes up mid-air.

That is great and lesson learned.  Thanks for sharing.
2018-4-15
Use props
SparksBird
Second Officer
United States

Awesome.  I am so relieved.  So the wind finally died down and was able to fly a bit ago and absolutely no issues.  Took it a couple miles out to fully test everything.  Everything works as it should.  I am so very relieved and blessed that all is good.  In fact you can see in my sig SparksBird got a new look   That and now have the MPP low noise props.  These props are awesome.  The sound is much better and a little less especially from distance.  You know it seems these are pretty tough for landing on its backside in a bush and I do not even see a scratch on it.  
2018-4-16
Use props
Bulldog
lvl.4
Flight distance : 816158 ft
United States

I am not sure what you determined as the problem here....... but I doubt the problem had to do with the construction of the prop......

I have seen people fly a million meters with the same props.

MAYBE, a bird, or something like that. Something that actually makes contact with the drone. But a prop failure....... personally, I doubt it.

Stoked you got your drone back unharmed however. Enjoy the heck out of it.

2018-4-16
Use props
SparksBird
Second Officer
United States

Bulldog Posted at 2018-4-16 13:27
I am not sure what you determined as the problem here....... but I doubt the problem had to do with the construction of the prop......

I have seen people fly a million meters with the same props.

Yeah never really did figure out how it happened.  And I hear what you are saying about the rarity of it being a prop.  I just am not sure.  All I know is it was flying one minute then doing a flip and landing on its back in a bush.  Very possible that something could of hit it and I really will never know because I was not recording at the time.  I would say though it most likely was something hit it, just cannot say for certain.  And yes so very stoked I got it back unharmed and I absolutely enjoy the heck out of it.  Fly it about every chance I get   Thanks for stopping by
2018-4-16
Use props
lomo2017
lvl.4

United States

SparksBird Posted at 2018-4-16 13:09
Awesome.  I am so relieved.  So the wind finally died down and was able to fly a bit ago and absolutely no issues.  Took it a couple miles out to fully test everything.  Everything works as it should.  I am so very relieved and blessed that all is good.  In fact you can see in my sig SparksBird got a new look   That and now have the MPP low noise props.  These props are awesome.  The sound is much better and a little less especially from distance.  You know it seems these are pretty tough for landing on its backside in a bush and I do not even see a scratch on it.

Happy for you everything is fine with your drone. Your problem was definitely a prop. Motor obstructed was when your craft already hit the tree.
Love the look of your drone. I also have a set of the MPP props. They are more flexible than the MP props and bends more. You will notice the braking distance is gonna be more since the prop flexes more during breaking. Just keep in mind.
Not sure if all MPP props are more flexible that the MP props. Maybe I got a knock off. Bought them from Amazon.
Happy Flying
2018-4-16
Use props
SparksBird
Second Officer
United States

lomo2017 Posted at 2018-4-16 16:07
Happy for you everything is fine with your drone. Your problem was definitely a prop. Motor obstructed was when your craft already hit the tree.
Love the look of your drone. I also have a set of the MPP props. They are more flexible than the MP props and bends more. You will notice the braking distance is gonna be more since the prop flexes more during breaking. Just keep in mind.
Not sure if all MPP props are more flexible that the MP props. Maybe I got a knock off. Bought them from Amazon.

Yeah they are more flexible, at least mine are as well.  Great info on the more braking distance, I did not know and now I do   Saw a video doing a comparison between the 8330 props and 8331 and yes the 8331's are more flexible for sure.  
2018-4-16
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

SparksBird Posted at 2018-4-16 17:32
Yeah they are more flexible, at least mine are as well.  Great info on the more braking distance, I did not know and now I do   Saw a video doing a comparison between the 8330 props and 8331 and yes the 8331's are more flexible for sure.

If you don't want to send in and the drone looks in a good condition, please do make an overall inspection of it, any abnormal behaviour, please contact us. However, based on the concern of the flight safety, we still suggest sending the drone in for diagnose since some damage might not be visible.
2018-4-16
Use props
maxxrussia
lvl.1
Flight distance : 75787 ft
United States

From what I can tell from the flight data one of the motor or motors lost lift or resistance.
Ether the prop disengaged because of one of the hold down tabs broke or as DJT mention the drone collided with something. It might also be one of the motors just stopped.

What program did you use to calculate where his drone fell? My drone shut off mid flight and I am trying to triangulate where it fell approximately. Can you help?
2019-4-1
Use props
B1houdini
First Officer
United States

maxxrussia Posted at 4-1 19:15
What program did you use to calculate where his drone fell? My drone shut off mid flight and I am trying to triangulate where it fell approximately. Can you help?

Sorry to hear about your drone  falling out of the sky.
Try following these directions using the DJI Flight Log Viewer

By downloading the KML file you can use it in Google Earth to show about where the Drone dropped.

Hope that helps. If not, just make a new post asking for help and someone might give better advise.

You might check out  JJBsparks post
He has a great program for looking at flight data.
2019-4-2
Use props
phuc
lvl.3
Flight distance : 765906 ft
Australia

From what I can tell from the flight data one of the motor or motors lost lift or resistance.
Ether the prop disengaged because of one of the hold down tabs broke or as DJT mention the drone collided with something. It might also be one of the motors just stopped.

According to the log someone used a BB gun
2019-12-19
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12225059 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

B1houdini Posted at 4-2 07:39
Sorry to hear about your drone  falling out of the sky.
Try following these directions using the DJI Flight Log Viewer

This is the current thread for FRAP

https://forum.dji.com/thread-203659-1-1.html
2019-12-19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules