Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Moisture in lense
1427 11 2018-4-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
joker04_04
lvl.1

After a rookie mistake, my P3 4K decided to take a bath.  I've taken it apart to dry it all out and inspect.  The camera seems to have some fogging and some moisture in it.  I tried taking it apart to dry it out but can't seem to get the lense cover off and didn't want to do damage so thought I'd ask here first.  

1. How to get moisture out?
2. How to remove lense cover (if possible) (I tried just twisting the front part but it doesn't seem to unscrew)

Here's what it looks like...that round dot in the center looks like a drop of water but I can't get it to move, so I'm not certain.  The foggyness seems to be receeding but what about the water drop?

Camera

Camera
2018-4-14
Use props
KedDK
Captain
Flight distance : 1133038 ft
Denmark

Before even trying to power it up, let everything dry for some days on a radiator or like and rotate it now and then to ensure all moist can escape upwards.
Hopefully it was not in sea/salt water, if so you would have to flush it all under a tap with fresh water followed by some isopropyl/rubbing alcohol.

You can easily unscrew the front cap if you do not make any pressure when doing it, Just twist your fu.. ehh longest finger around at the outer edge and unscrew it ccw.

Best of luck
2018-4-14
Use props
joker04_04
lvl.1

KedDK Posted at 2018-4-14 19:17
Before even trying to power it up, let everything dry for some days on a radiator or like and rotate it now and then to ensure all moist can escape upwards.
Hopefully it was not in sea/salt water, if so you would have to flush it all under a tap with fresh water followed by some isopropyl/rubbing alcohol.

It was freshwater, so there some good luck to it.  I've tried twisting the front of the lense off using very little pressure or wrapping a shoestring around it (I've heard rubber band works too) but it doesn't seem to budge at all.  Any other ideas on how to get the front of the lense off?  Or will the dot of water in there eventually evaporate?
2018-4-14
Use props
KedDK
Captain
Denmark

joker04_04 Posted at 2018-4-14 19:24
It was freshwater, so there some good luck to it.  I've tried twisting the front of the lense off using very little pressure or wrapping a shoestring around it (I've heard rubber band works too) but it doesn't seem to budge at all.  Any other ideas on how to get the front of the lense off?  Or will the dot of water in there eventually evaporate?

No even if it would evaporate it would leave some foggy spots, need to be cleaned out.
The trick really is to not make any pressure, i also had to fight the first time when using ND filters but it really is about just doing it and not think it is stuck, no pressure at all, just twist.
2018-4-14
Use props
joker04_04
lvl.1

KedDK Posted at 2018-4-14 19:34
No even if it would evaporate it would leave some foggy spots, need to be cleaned out.
The trick really is to not make any pressure, i also had to fight the first time when using ND filters but it really is about just doing it and not think it is stuck, no pressure at all, just twist.

OKay!  Finally got the lense cover off and could clean it but it appears that the inside of the lense it self needs cleaned.  is that possible?
2018-4-14
Use props
KedDK
Captain
Denmark

joker04_04 Posted at 2018-4-14 19:45
OKay!  Finally got the lense cover off and could clean it but it appears that the inside of the lense it self needs cleaned.  is that possible?

So far so good

Everything is possible but that far is beyond my experience, hopefully someone else can jump in here, if not hopefully some searching will lead to a solution for this part.

Best of luck.
2018-4-14
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I dont know where you are but if you have an airing cupboard it needs to go in there over night, if its out of warranty (water prob broke the warranty now anyway) i would take all the camera apart and put the whole craft into the airing cupboard, i had exactly the same the other week and mine is now A-OK (so far)
2018-4-14
Use props
Mountaindrone
Captain
Flight distance : 26618251 ft
  • >>>

continue to give us some news about this problem !
2018-4-14
Use props
joker04_04
lvl.1

Mountaindrone Posted at 2018-4-14 21:34
continue to give us some news about this problem !

I will.  I'm going to let it dry for a couple of days then put it all back together!  Still hoping someone will know how to clean the inside of the camera lense (not the lense cover).
2018-4-14
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

You can take the whole assembly apart, i did try but only got as far as taking out the actual camera, to go further i needed a much smaller hex that i didnt have, prob a good thing to be honest. Strip it right down so you are left holding just the black body and put it somewhere warm over night, should be fine the next day, mine was and it was submerged for 30 seconds
2018-4-14
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Sorry for the mishap. However, since the drone got wet, we do not recommend that you continue on flying it for the safety of your flight. Because when there was water run inside the drone, parts of the components might get rusted and it will cause a potential threat during flight.
Send the drone back and we will take care of your case if you need. Here's the online repair link:  https://repair.dji.com/en/SelfRepair/Area
2018-4-15
Use props
joker04_04
lvl.1

United States

As a follow up, I was able to get everything dried out and put back together.  Everything fired up just fine.  Haven't flown it yet but everything seems to be operational.
2018-4-17
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules