Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Refresh firmware
1405 14 2018-4-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Avian
lvl.4
Flight distance : 30938 ft
  • >>>
South Africa

Hi all. Does it help to refresh firmware.?
I find some glitches on my Mavic Air. Nothing serious and mostly nothing repeating itself... Just here and there sometimes something good small. Like a drift or a wabble...

Also I flew side by side,(about and hour ltr, at dusk) and the same route as my father's Air and his one got slightly better range and view onscreen. Example he could go about 40m further with less lag...

Is this normal? Could a refresh help this?
2018-4-15
Use props
DH_Pilot
Captain
Flight distance : 3301621 ft
  • >>>
Slovakia

I do not believe refreshing will help, for drift and wobble IMU and compass calibration could help. Regarding distance and video feed quality it is purely dependent on environment and interference there.
2018-4-15
Use props
Avian
lvl.4
  • >>>
South Africa

Ok thnx. Yes I flew a bit ltr than him, maybe we picked up more interference.

When would one want to refresh firmware then?
2018-4-15
Use props
DH_Pilot
Captain
  • >>>
Slovakia

Avian Posted at 2018-4-15 08:18
Ok thnx. Yes I flew a bit ltr than him, maybe we picked up more interference.

When would one want to refresh firmware then?

I think when you have some issues with functionality itself or getting some errors. Or when you occur error during update. I read somewhere that refresh could help also with signal issues but I personally do not believe it. Anyway you could safely try it.
2018-4-15
Use props
Suren
Captain
Flight distance : 13425892 ft
  • >>>
South Africa

I have had issues with my Pro, not getting great distance. Did a firmware refresh, imu calibrate and all was well again
2018-4-15
Use props
Avian
lvl.4
  • >>>
South Africa

So refresh won't most certainly not be a move backwards?
2018-4-15
Use props
DH_Pilot
Captain
  • >>>
Slovakia

Refresh would not harm anything, only negative is it could reset settings of drone which I could anyway recommend do to rule out any FW issue. But use DJI Assistant 2 do not do refresh and reset via DJI GO 4.
2018-4-15
Use props
Punchbuggy
Captain
Flight distance : 483166 ft
  • >>>
Australia

I have owned various DJI drones for a number of years now. My standard practice for firmware updates is to update, reset the craft to factory defaults, and refresh again. Admittedly, you may need to do the latter for each battery anyway, if the craft firmware update incorporates a new level of battery firmware (this is obvious on the P4 series, but it's harder to watch the battery LEDs on the Air). I also remove the SD card when doing updates so that I'm confident that Ass2 is installing the .bin file direct.

Why? Because I've applied firmware updates in the past where I've done it once and taken out for a flight test with cr@p results. Refreshing the firmware afterwards has stabilised the craft again. Even the instructions for the unsanctioned third-party installation software (Dumbled@re) states that the firmware must be installed twice. I believe it is something to do with how the downloaded firmware .bin file is unpacked into it's constituent controller parts and checked for integrity by Ass2 while applying.
2018-4-15
Use props
SparksBird
Captain
Flight distance : 10731690 ft
United States

instead of refreshing I would like already mentioned do a default on all settings.  Make sure you have no other apps open on your phone.  Do all Calibration(Compass,IMU,Gimbal).  I am sure you are good to go.
2018-4-15
Use props
SparksBird
Captain
Flight distance : 10731690 ft
United States

It also really could come down to the device you are using especially compared to your father's as far as what it can handle.  What smart device are you using?  Talking as far as comparing to your distance compared to his.
2018-4-15
Use props
Avian
lvl.4
  • >>>
South Africa

SparksBird Posted at 2018-4-15 16:20
It also really could come down to the device you are using especially compared to your father's as far as what it can handle.  What smart device are you using?  Talking as far as comparing to your distance compared to his.

Im on Saumsung S8 and he was on Samsung S7
2018-4-16
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft

Hi Avian, for the firmware version, we do recommend the latest one. What's more, it is recommended to choose an outdoor open area where the GPS is good and no magnetic interference to fly the drone. If there is any further issue, please feel free to let us know, we'll here for help.
2018-4-16
Use props
Bill B
First Officer
Flight distance : 319245 ft
United States

DH_Pilot Posted at 2018-4-15 08:15
I do not believe refreshing will help, for drift and wobble IMU and compass calibration could help. Regarding distance and video feed quality it is purely dependent on environment and interference there.

Completely agree. Spot on reply.
2018-4-16
Use props
Kevjones1959
Second Officer
Flight distance : 61932 ft

South Africa

Bill B Posted at 2018-4-16 01:58
Completely agree. Spot on reply.

@bill B I also do not believe that refreshing will make a difference, however, after upgrading the Air to 300. It was very erratic in the hover. I recalibrated IMU controller sticks everything and it made no difference so I did a refresh and reset to factory settings and it's absolutely fine now. So now I am a bit sceptical now to say it should have no effect. It seemed to fix mine.
2018-4-16
Use props
Bill B
First Officer
Flight distance : 319245 ft
United States

Kevjones1959 Posted at 2018-4-16 03:00
@bill B I also do not believe that refreshing will make a difference, however, after upgrading the Air to 300. It was very erratic in the hover. I recalibrated IMU controller sticks everything and it made no difference so I did a refresh and reset to factory settings and it's absolutely fine now. So now I am a bit sceptical now to say it should have no effect. It seemed to fix mine.

Yes, Interesting. The fact you did a factory reset, as well as a refresh, that may have made the difference. I have not tried the factory reset, and then the refresh. I'll have to give that a whirl. Thanks Kev.
2018-4-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules