Winter Landscapes
1341 16 2018-4-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
JensIR
lvl.3
Flight distance : 207631 ft
  • >>>

I have finally found some time and courage to  compile a video from some of the footage I have shot since I got my  Mavic Pro in December.
This is my first attempt at anyting like  this so please bear with me if not everything is up to standards. I consider myself a quite proficient still photographer, but this  video thing is completely new to me. So far I have found that shooting  and editing something that is actually worth looking at has been very  challenging and I still have a lot to learn. I also have several decades  of experience flying Radio Controlled airplanes, but flying the drone  in a way that produces useable footage takes some new skills.

(Edit: Finally after several hours the video also shows the 1080p resolution option in Youtube.)

The  footage included in this video was shot at different times, ranging  from December and until just recently. A few of the clips included are  only two days old. As you can see, even if spring is approaching rapidly  here, in the mountains of Norways west coast it is still sort of  winter, and lots of snow even if temperatures are now more in the  pleasant range. In fact this period is prime backcountry skiing season  in these areas.
All footage was shot in the fjord districts on the west coast of Norway, in the area known as Sunnmøre.

I  have not been able to use the Mavic as much as I wanted since winter  conditions have been challenging in periods. Both low temperatures, wind  and snow as well as short daylight hours in mid winter have put  limitations on when I have been able to fly. In the areas where this was  shot we do not have really extreme winter temperatures, but the cold can  still be challenging for fingers and batteries, and measures had to be  taken to protect them from the worst cold.

During clear  sunny weather with this much snow the light can be pretty intense. Some  of the footage was shot with ND64 filters and even then the shutter  speeds were still quite short.

2018-4-16
Use props
FlyDK
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1636286 ft
Denmark

This is actually very good and shot in a beautiful area. Well done.
A shame though it's only 720p. but I hope to watch much more from you. Thank you.
2018-4-16
Use props
Marian
lvl.4
Flight distance : 340597 ft
Spain

That is some amazing footage. Well done.
I know how you fee though, I just finished a video edit myself which was quite challenging as I am used to taking stills.
2018-4-16
Use props
JensIR
lvl.3
  • >>>

FlyDK Posted at 2018-4-16 03:39
A shame though it's only 720p. but I hope to watch much more from you. Thank you.

Not sure why the 1080p option is not present. It was rendered  to 1920x1080 and uploaded that way. But then I am a complete noob when it comes to Youtube so maybe I am doing something wrong, just can not figure out what that might be ......
2018-4-16
Use props
eddieNoob
lvl.4
United States

Works for me! Great location and very good flying.  
2018-4-16
Use props
Nebuchadnezzar
First Officer
Flight distance : 3440476 ft
Spain

Amazing !!
2018-4-16
Use props
GoldenSun
Second Officer
Flight distance : 681903 ft
Poland

For a first try - great job! However, I noticed that a lot of shots are a bit dark.
2018-4-16
Use props
JensIR
lvl.3
  • >>>

GoldenSun Posted at 2018-4-16 04:54
For a first try - great job! However, I noticed that a lot of shots are a bit dark.

GoldenSun, you are right, some shots are indeed a bit dark.  I think it is a combination of under exposure during shooting and unskilled editing/grading. With bright snow conditions like this the automatic exposure is often fooled into under exposing, and you have to add some positive exposure compensation. I try to keep an eye on the histogram while flying/shooting, but sometimes I forget (flying high up in the mountains makes me nervous sometimes )  Also I am not quite familiar with the editing software yet, so probably a lot to be improved in the grading.
2018-4-16
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Great work on first attempt   
2018-4-16
Use props
JensIR
lvl.3
  • >>>

FlyDK Posted at 2018-4-16 03:39

The video is now available in 1080p.
As for more: this was footage from almost five months, so maybe I will have some more in some months
2018-4-16
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>

Awesome first attempt. Nicely done
2018-4-16
Use props
FlyDK
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1636286 ft
Denmark

JensIR Posted at 2018-4-16 06:06
The video is now available in 1080p.
As for more: this was footage from almost five months, so maybe I will have some more in some months

Thanks man, much better.
I expect something new in about a week or so.
2018-4-16
Use props
GoldenSun
Second Officer
Flight distance : 681903 ft
Poland

JensIR Posted at 2018-4-16 05:50
GoldenSun, you are right, some shots are indeed a bit dark.  I think it is a combination of under exposure during shooting and unskilled editing/grading. With bright snow conditions like this the automatic exposure is often fooled into under exposing, and you have to add some positive exposure compensation. I try to keep an eye on the histogram while flying/shooting, but sometimes I forget (flying high up in the mountains makes me nervous sometimes  )  Also I am not quite familiar with the editing software yet, so probably a lot to be improved in the grading.

I'm sure you'll figure it out eventually, no one's born an expert! ;)
2018-4-16
Use props
Wachtberger
First Officer
Flight distance : 261509 ft

Fantastic video, thank you very much! And with practice you'll find out how to improve the grading, no doubt.
2018-4-16
Use props
Suren
Captain
Flight distance : 13425892 ft
  • >>>
South Africa

A really brilliant production.
2018-4-16
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft

Awesome first attempt. Nicely done. Looking forward to seeing more videos from you. Happy flying!
2018-4-17
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Great video!
2018-4-17
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now