Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
DJI Mavic Air Propeller / Props in sight of MA camera?
5315 28 2018-4-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
ldgjGuy
lvl.4
Flight distance : 392795 ft
Netherlands

Hi all,

Today, arround sunset i was flying and recording with my MA. Everything was fine until i could see the right front proppelor in my view and also in my recording.
Does anybody know what this is? Shadow from the proppeler? DJI Support?

- No callibration errors
- No damage on the drone
- Flying conditions where normal

Video footage:

Cheers.
2018-4-16
Use props
joe_gadget
Second Officer

Australia

Props. Probably due to wind causing your mavic to pitch down more with the camera pointing upwards?
2018-4-16
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft

Yes, agree with the floor 2#, if there is no error message on your DJI GO4 app, then please don't worry about it. It is not recommended to fly the drone when the wind the is strong, thanks!
2018-4-16
Use props
ldgjGuy
lvl.4
Netherlands

Hi joe_gadget, DJI Diana,

Thanks for your reply. So nothing to worry about? :-)
I was flying against the wind but the wind was not extreme or something. The Camera was point upwards, yes.

Thanks.
2018-4-16
Use props
ldgjGuy
lvl.4

This evening i recorded a new video and it showed the props again...? Anybody else seeing this?
No "strong wind" warning during flying and sport mode off. I also did not touch the gimbal controller and i was slowly flying forward.

2018-4-17
Use props
JJBspark
Captain
Flight distance : 12132231 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Hiya,

There is a setting in the app wich allows the cam to look more up than just forward. If that option is enable-d and the cam is fully pitched up; its possible you see the props in the footage.

cheers
JJB
2018-4-19
Use props
ldgjGuy
lvl.4
Netherlands

Hi JJB,

Thanks!
Do you what the exact setting is? And is this setting by default enabled?

Thanks!
2018-4-19
Use props
JEZ2
First Officer
Flight distance : 336204 ft
United States

The setting should be  "Extend Gimbal Tilt Limit" and for me it was off by default.
2018-4-20
Use props
ldgjGuy
lvl.4
Netherlands

JEZ2 Posted at 2018-4-20 06:47
The setting should be  "Extend Gimbal Tilt Limit" and for me it was off by default.

Hi JEZ2,

Thanks, but it is indeed off.

Yesterday i encountered it again.

Is anybody else having this issue? Please share :-) I start to "feel" that i'm the only one with this problem which might suggest there is something wrong with my MA.

Ohw and by the, it is always the right prop.

Thanks for any reply.
2018-4-29
Use props
QuadKid
Captain
Flight distance : 482349 ft
United States

Is this the first time the MA has been doing this or has it happened before these flights? If it just started happening and it is on every video, I would suggest recalibrating the gimbal to see if that helps. If not you may have a FWD/RT rotor/motor arm that is not seating properly and or a gimbal that is not centering properly.  0° is straight forward (horizontal) -90° is looking straight down and 0° to +30° is looking up.
2018-4-29
Use props
ldgjGuy
lvl.4
Netherlands

QuadKid Posted at 2018-4-29 11:51
Is this the first time the MA has been doing this or has it happened before these flights? If it just started happening and it is on every video, I would suggest recalibrating the gimbal to see if that helps. If not you may have a FWD/RT rotor/motor arm that is not seating properly and or a gimbal that is not centering properly.  0° is straight forward (horizontal) -90° is looking straight down and 0° to +30° is looking up.

Thanks for your reply.

It happened before but it is not happening every flight. I think it is only happening when facing the sun!?
Could it be prop shadow?
What i find curious is that no other MA owners are reporting this problem..!?
2018-4-29
Use props
Malakai_UK
Captain
Flight distance : 536115 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Check your front right arm, is there a sign of damage or does it appear to be tilted down further than the other arm? Are the props warped or bent? Odd that its only on one side. Have you had any crashes no matter how minor?
2018-4-30
Use props
ldgjGuy
lvl.4
Netherlands

Malakai_UK Posted at 2018-4-30 02:07
Check your front right arm, is there a sign of damage or does it appear to be tilted down further than the other arm? Are the props warped or bent? Odd that its only on one side. Have you had any crashes no matter how minor?

I put the drown on a glass table an all seems to be fine. Never had a crash and the prop are not warped or bent. You have never seen the props on your recordings?
2018-4-30
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Flight distance : 261509 ft

ldgjGuy Posted at 2018-4-30 08:31
I put the drown on a glass table an all seems to be fine. Never had a crash and the prop are not warped or bent. You have never seen the props on your recordings?

I can only see them with extended gimbal tilt activated.
2018-4-30
Use props
ldgjGuy
lvl.4
Netherlands

Wachtberger Posted at 2018-4-30 08:34
I can only see them with extended gimbal tilt activated.

When i put the the drone on the ground and props are not running i'm also not able to see them. Only during flying and facing the sun.

Can some of you guys run some test flights around sunset with default gimbal configuration?
2018-4-30
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Flight distance : 261509 ft

ldgjGuy Posted at 2018-4-30 08:37
When i put the the drone on the ground and props are not running i'm also not able to see them. Only during flying and facing the sun.

Can some of you guys run some test flights around sunset with default gimbal configuration?

If it happens while you are facing the sun its the props shadows that can become visible.
2018-4-30
Use props
rent
Captain
Flight distance : 1773458 ft
  • >>>
Russia

You can perform the following test. First, calibrate then center your gimbal, then,

1) Full throttle roll left to right

2) Full throttle roll right to left.

If there is no wind, you should see about the same amount of props in the top left and right corners.

If there is wind, turn the AC around 180º and repeat the two motions. You should see about the same amount of props after rotating the AC.

If one corner has significantly more prop showing than the other, either your gimbal is not centered or your air frame is not straight.
2018-4-30
Use props
Wellsi
Captain
Flight distance : 8330187 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

ldgjGuy Posted at 2018-4-30 08:31
I put the drown on a glass table an all seems to be fine. Never had a crash and the prop are not warped or bent. You have never seen the props on your recordings?

I have occasionally had the odd brief moment of prop creepage into the top.  It depends how fast you're flying, as the faster you're flying, the more the AIr has to pitch down, and this is increased if you're flying into a breeze.  If this happens when you're flying slowly with the wind, you have an issue. But I imagine i'ts more when you're flying into the breeze and flying fast.

cheers
Ian
2018-4-30
Use props
ldgjGuy
lvl.4
Netherlands

rent Posted at 2018-4-30 12:52
You can perform the following test. First, calibrate then center your gimbal, then,

1) Full throttle roll left to right

Hi Rent, thanks for your reply. I will check this asap!
2018-5-1
Use props
ldgjGuy
lvl.4
Netherlands

Wellsi Posted at 2018-4-30 13:43
I have occasionally had the odd brief moment of prop creepage into the top.  It depends how fast you're flying, as the faster you're flying, the more the AIr has to pitch down, and this is increased if you're flying into a breeze.  If this happens when you're flying slowly with the wind, you have an issue. But I imagine i'ts more when you're flying into the breeze and flying fast.

cheers

Hi Ian,

It happens on non-sport and sport mode as well. But (i think) only when facing the sun. Without the sun in the front it looks like i don't have the problem but i'm unable to confirm yet.

As soon as i have some time i will test more. Please share if others have also this thing ;-)
2018-5-1
Use props
Wellsi
Captain
Flight distance : 8330187 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

ldgjGuy Posted at 2018-5-1 06:05
Hi Ian,

It happens on non-sport and sport mode as well. But (i think) only when facing the sun. Without the sun in the front it looks like i don't have the problem but i'm unable to confirm yet.

If it only happens when you're facing the Sun, I'm inclined to think it may be prop shadows rather than actual props.....  Hopefully you can test it more this weekend..

Ian
2018-5-3
Use props
PS013
Captain
Flight distance : 3579409 ft
United States

ldgjGuy Posted at 2018-4-29 11:25
Hi JEZ2,

Thanks, but it is indeed off.

Do not worry, you are not the only one.
I have the same thing when flying into the wind, whit "Extend Gimbal Tilt on or  off" even if there is no "High Wind warning"

2018-5-3
Use props
S.D. Pilot
Captain
Flight distance : 10278435 ft
  • >>>
United States

Normal occurrence to see the props in the video feed when you're speed mode; props/drone will be slightly tilted at an angle. You need to lower the speed or fly backwards to prevent the props from coming into the frame.
2018-5-3
Use props
zguy
Captain
Flight distance : 243796 ft
United States

Having the same issue with a replacement MA just received.  Never noticed it on the original.
Anyone get a resolution to this?  
Why only the right side propeller??
2018-11-6
Use props
zguy
Captain
United States

Answered my own question.
With no wind, go to Gimbal Adjust-Yaw.  Tilt camera full up (extended) and adjust until both props are barely seen in the upper corners.  This is the best centering possible.  My replacement unit needed +0.5 (5 clicks) to center.  Now it is like my original with the props not seen in normal camera views.
2018-11-10
Use props
zguy
Captain
United States

BTW-
I called DJI support, described the concern and after asking if I had done all calibrations including Gimbal (which I had) they said to send it in.  Never mentioned the Gimbal Yaw adjustment.
Glad I found this adjustment or else I be waiting another 2 weeks.
2018-11-10
Use props
CoreyB10
Captain
Flight distance : 1665023 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Think it may just need a tiny downwards gimbal move or centre the gimbal. I haven't seen this on mine at all. Nice little flight though.
2018-11-11
Use props
Del Rei
lvl.1
Brazil

Hey... Anyone solved this props in video?
I did some tests, and would say it may have connection to wind. When I fly against wind the props shows in video. I guess because the drone had to pitch down flying agains wind.... But don't understand why show only one of the propellers...
2019-10-19
Use props
ririlan
Captain
Flight distance : 879154 ft
Canada

I also encounter that situation once in a while, usually when I'm flying toward the sun. Don't forget, even if you don't feel the wind on the ground, it can be more windy up there.  
2019-10-19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules