DRONE TAKEN AT MARRAKECH AIRPORT (MOROCCO)
6029 30 2018-4-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
ayessaiem
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Hi all,

I am a new drone user, having got my Platinum in September 2017. I absolutely love it!

Myself and my wife visited Marrakech at the beginning of April 18.

Unfortunately, on our way home at the airport, a security official took my camera drone during baggage checks. He stated drones are illegal in Morocco, and that because I had not declared it and left it with them on entry to the country, it would now be destroyed.

I tried to reason with the official, however he insisted there was nothing I could do and eventually, after 1.5 hours of trying, we had to leave to catch our flight. They stated I could write to customs to ask for it back, but that it is unlikely to be productive. I have tried emailing them with no response, and have also tried speaking directly to customs and the embassy, to no avail.

Naturally, we are extremely disappointed as it has ruined our otherwise amazing trip.

I am writing to ask if any of you would be able to offer any support/advice regarding this matter? Any information or assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you so much for taking the time to read this.

Kind regards,

Ayessaiem

2018-4-16
Use props
FatherXmas
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4058619 ft
  • >>>
United States

Sorry for your loss. Over the years, I've had a few things taken by over zealous customs or security folks, did you know a Cross pen since it's metal could be a weapon? Anyway, no amount of reasoning or pleading works, the government is ALWAYS right regardless of which country.
2018-4-16
Use props
ayessaiem
lvl.1
United Kingdom

FatherXmas Posted at 2018-4-16 11:56
Sorry for your loss. Over the years, I've had a few things taken by over zealous customs or security folks, did you know a Cross pen since it's metal could be a weapon? Anyway, no amount of reasoning or pleading works, the government is ALWAYS right regardless of which country.

Dude - a pen!?

Damn. Any idea if there is any way to deactivate the drone remotely? I can hardly see it being 'destroyed'. By the way he was handling the drone, I could tell he knew exactly what he was looking at.
2018-4-16
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>

Wow this really sucks. Hope you find a resolution.
2018-4-16
Use props
Celsus
lvl.4
Flight distance : 196594 ft
United Kingdom

That would be my worst nightmare. I don't understand why they wouldn't have a cloakroom type system in place to hand back when you are leaving the country given the restrictions.
2018-4-16
Use props
rwynant V1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4842277 ft
  • >>>

Unfortunately his kids are flying it right now.........*(&^%&^#$^%#@$
2018-4-16
Use props
SparksBird
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10731690 ft
United States

Oh man that would be my worst nightmare.  Very sorry to hear this.  
2018-4-16
Use props
lomo2017
lvl.4

United States

Sorry for your loss. That's terrible that the airport agents can't reason with him.
There should be a sign at the airport before entering the country for any restriction including drones.
2018-4-16
Use props
B1houdini
Second Officer
Flight distance : 927927 ft
United States

Ayessaiem
Sorry to hear about your loss. Wish there was something to say that would make you feel better.
The lesson here is check the drone laws before taking it to another country.

General Morocco Drone Laws
At this time drones are BANNED in Morocco. Bringing one into the country without declaring it will result in it being seized by the customs and you WILL NOT be able to get it back. If you DO declare the drone before entering Morocco, the customs will hold it at the airport and you will be able to pick it up on the way out of the country. Special permission is possible for commercial drone use, but it is a lengthy and difficult process. Operators must ensure that they follow the following drone laws once they have obtained permission to fly in Morocco,
2018-4-16
Use props
Suren
Captain
Flight distance : 13425892 ft
  • >>>
South Africa

Sorry that your MPP was taken. Really a bummer
2018-4-17
Use props
AlansDronePics
Second Officer
Flight distance : 814751 ft
Guernsey

No help to you or consolation, but I contemplated such a scenario and was prepared to destroy my drone in front of the customes man. If I can't have it, he certainly won't, because as you rightly pointed out, he is using it.
2018-4-17
Use props
AlansDronePics
Second Officer
Guernsey

Claim on your travel insurance as a flyaway.
2018-4-17
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

AlansDronePics Posted at 2018-4-17 10:06
No help to you or consolation, but I contemplated such a scenario and was prepared to destroy my drone in front of the customes man. If I can't have it, he certainly won't, because as you rightly pointed out, he is using it.

Be very careful about how you destroy your drone.
I have run into a few over zealous border guards and airline security guards who might assume you were attempting to detonate a device.

Years ago, I had a TSA agent go ape because I dared to touch my laptop while he was inspecting it.
By inspecting it, I mean he was trying to pry the top open.  It had a hidden latch that prevented Laptop from being open unless it was nearly level for use.  I had already tried to explain to him how it had to be opened, he only got more forceful with top.  At which point I tried to touch it, and that is when he sounded off and two more agents showed up.
2018-4-17
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

ayessaiem Posted at 2018-4-16 12:10
Dude - a pen!?

Damn. Any idea if there is any way to deactivate the drone remotely? I can hardly see it being 'destroyed'. By the way he was handling the drone, I could tell he knew exactly what he was looking at.

To many of them are Dirty.  They see something they want, they will twist the rules to snatch it.
2018-4-17
Use props
Silvex
lvl.3

United States

It seems the the more autocratic the government, the more restrictive they are of drones.
2018-4-17
Use props
Theppgcowboy
lvl.3
United States

After a few debates, I changed tactics. When ever they ask if they can touch me during a pat down, I say, "sure but I wish you were better looking". Or, I ask if she can do it pointing to a female agent. It usually gets a chuckle.
2018-4-17
Use props
AG0N-Gary
Second Officer
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

FatherXmas Posted at 2018-4-16 11:56

Umm...what is a cross pen?
2018-4-17
Use props
Brad Bilger
lvl.4
Flight distance : 14843274 ft

AG0N-Gary Posted at 2018-4-17 17:36

Cross.com

Well built, decorative writing pens.,..
2018-4-17
Use props
gnirtS
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5712575 ft
United Kingdom

Celsus Posted at 2018-4-16 12:21
That would be my worst nightmare. I don't understand why they wouldn't have a cloakroom type system in place to hand back when you are leaving the country given the restrictions.

They do - he didn't bother declaring it on entry so didn't use the system.

What i don't understand is why the original poster didn't bother checking local laws and regulations before travelling with a drone in the first place.  Its not hard with the internet.
Don't just arrogantly assume everything is legal everywhere - check first.
2018-4-17
Use props
Public Washroom
lvl.2
Philippines

my experience in Myanmar you need to declare the items before they impound your drone to the safe room and you take back once you exit.
2018-4-18
Use props
JuanCitoCruz
lvl.2
Flight distance : 226188 ft
France

It was the same for me in Egypt, I faced the same with my Spark on my way back home..... .. but after 1 hour arguementation with them (explaining that i didnt fly it because of the local police advice as they are not legal there) I was able to keep it and take it back home (originally i have in my hand luggage, and they asked me to put it in the check in bag..
2018-4-18
Use props
Colin G4GBP
lvl.4
Flight distance : 42533 ft
United Kingdom

I applied very politely to the Moroccan CAA for permission to take my drone to Marrakech but did not receive a reply. Because of their anti-drone laws I did not risk taking my drone. This is not the first drone loss by someone trying to take a drone into/out of Morocco. This stresses the importance of a potential visitor of reading up on the any country's drone laws. Morocco is quite clear on its policy and it is well documented.
2018-4-18
Use props
Dorset_Horn
lvl.4
Flight distance : 93379 ft
United Kingdom

Brad Bilger Posted at 2018-4-17 18:21
Cross.com

Well built, decorative writing pens.,..

... and valuable presumably!
2018-4-18
Use props
M2Wair
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1192231 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Unfortunately you are going to have to write this off as gone. It's a bitter pill to swallow and I do understand your frustration, but you won't get your drone back, period,  Sorry you lost your drone, it's a tough break and clearly ruined your holiday.
2018-4-18
Use props
FatherXmas
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4058619 ft
  • >>>
United States

AG0N-Gary Posted at 2018-4-17 17:36

Cross is a company that makes pens and mechanical pencils. I like the chrome ones.

https://smile.amazon.com/Cross-C ... L70_&dpSrc=srch
2018-4-18
Use props
AirSnaps
lvl.4
Flight distance : 5423 ft
United Kingdom

This sucks, some way to "find my drone" like they have on iphone would be nice as well as a remote disable too. Wouldn't help you to get it back but at least you'd be happier knowing that the border guard isn't just using it himself.
2018-4-18
Use props
Blah
lvl.1

That is just criminal!!

Typical theft tactics, as you obviously know. Mate, I hope you got something on the old insurance!
2018-4-18
Use props
Ahmed Hussain
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1339761 ft
  • >>>
Kuwait

Unfortunately, you didn't ask here that you will take your drone there.

Anyways, those bad guys at the airport waited you to pay money but you were disconnected!!
2018-4-18
Use props
GoldenSun
Second Officer
Flight distance : 681903 ft
Poland

I'm so sorry to hear that! Too bad for you and your bird...
2018-4-18
Use props
eggbeater
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3502972 ft
  • >>>

Thats it, Morocco is off my bucket list.
2018-4-18
Use props
AlansDronePics
Second Officer
Guernsey

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2018-4-17 11:12
Be very careful about how you destroy your drone.
I have run into a few over zealous border guards and airline security guards who might assume you were attempting to detonate a device.

Thanks for the tip.
I shall be most careful when dealing with such 455h0135.
2018-4-19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules