Smashed finger in DJI Inspire landing gear
2926 9 2018-4-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
jaredkay
lvl.1
United States

I just wanted to quickly post a warning to anyone attempting to place their DJI Inspire 1 into "briefcase mode" to keep their fingers well away from the landing gear legs.
After a recent shoot, I was packing up the drone and simply holding it with one hand by the top of it's shell... and enacting the remote control's landing gear in order for it to lay flat in the DJI case  when the drone suddenly clamped down on the tip of my ring finger. For almost a full minute I fought the electronics on the remote to release my finger, all the while the drone was attempting to further lower itself and crush my finger harder and harder. The below picture is the result of my little mishap. I hope this saves someone out there from making the same mistake I did.

IMG_3664.jpg
IMG_3666.jpg
IMG_3665.jpg
2018-4-16
Use props
Farnk666
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1711394 ft
Australia

There is no reason to be holding the aircraft while you transform it to or from Landing/Transport mode.
It should be on the ground or on a suitably flat/clear surface.

It's pretty obvious that the centre frame components are moving during this process and that fingers need to be kept clear.
You were clearly in a hurry and didn't take the time to manage your own safety - glad that the injury was minor in this case.
2018-4-16
Use props
rent
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1773458 ft
  • >>>
United States

Ouch that's gotta hurt. Thanks for the reminder.
2018-4-16
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Hi Jard, sorry to see this, please take care of your finger as soon as possible.
During transformation, the motor (servo motor) starts and gear sets move, the screw lever rotates and the base raises or lowers. Please stay away from the aircraft especially the center frame components.Thanks for the warning to other users, hope we all can learn from this and be careful.
2018-4-16
Use props
jaredkay
lvl.1
United States

Farnk666 Posted at 2018-4-16 19:27
There is no reason to be holding the aircraft while you transform it to or from Landing/Transport mode.
It should be on the ground or on a suitably flat/clear surface.

Sometimes the sensor does not "see" the ground and the gear lowers beyond flat... This was the case in my incident.. and I was merely attempting to move the drone to a more reflective surface. I just happened to pick it up at the wrong time. I was also on a hill in a tight area with no real flat surface. And yes. I agree. I was in a hurry. This is precisely my point... Accidents happen! Thank you for helping me clarify!  Be Careful friends. These drones are no toys...
2018-4-17
Use props
The Bash's
lvl.4

United States

Guess it didn't hear you say merci... Glad you made it out okay.   Good warning to all
2018-4-17
Use props
TruGreen
Second Officer
Flight distance : 621909 ft
  • >>>

jaredkay Posted at 2018-4-17 03:49
Sometimes the sensor does not "see" the ground and the gear lowers beyond flat... This was the case in my incident.. and I was merely attempting to move the drone to a more reflective surface. I just happened to pick it up at the wrong time. I was also on a hill in a tight area with no real flat surface. And yes. I agree. I was in a hurry. This is precisely my point... Accidents happen! Thank you for helping me clarify!  Be Careful friends. These drones are no toys...

use the top of the case, works every time
2018-4-18
Use props
Lucas775
First Officer
Flight distance : 50642090 ft
  • >>>
United States

That's knarly bet you won't do that again
2018-4-18
Use props
fansf77370fb
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1008924 ft

That will leev a mark. I have a Back pack it stays in landing mode. Best thing I have bought for this bird.
2018-4-19
Use props
rwynant V1
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4842277 ft
  • >>>

In case it wasn't clear,  when "entering Travel Mode"  the AC uses the Vision Positioning sensors to determine proper arm position.

If the AC is lifted off the surface, it doesn't know when to stop raising the legs..........and DANG, that looks painful !

Randy
2018-6-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules