HOW TO GET MORE DISTANCE?
7810 30 2018-4-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Sparkgako
lvl.2
Flight distance : 243346 ft
Dominican Republic

I see vidios of people getting distances of over 1km with their Spark. I'm lucky to get 250m before losing signal. I bought one of those dishes but see little differance. How can I boost it? I would like to fly up to 500m. That's not asking much, is it?
2018-4-17
Use props
hannesduplessis
lvl.1
Flight distance : 201260 ft
United Kingdom

Hi Sparkgako, I am currently chatting with Support about this. I had the same distance dropout between 200-300 meters in unobstructed airspace, and could not understand why. Will post back if something gets solved.
2018-4-17
Use props
DJIJAKOB
lvl.4
Flight distance : 740577 ft
  • >>>
Norway

Hi. Are you flying in FCC or CE mode? Range with the DJI Spark is 2 km in FCC and 500m in CE.

This thread has explained this earlier: https://forum.dji.com/thread-33091-1-1.html
I know this is for Phantom series but most is the same for DJI Spark.

Good luck! :-)
2018-4-17
Use props
JimFandango
lvl.4
Flight distance : 130768 ft
United Kingdom

Are you guys in Europe? Is this the old CE/FCC issue?
2018-4-17
Use props
rimza
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3307 ft
Brunei

I believe as OP mentioned he cannot even get to the CE distance.

For the OP have a look at the controller (hopefully  you are using the controller as you indicated about using the parabolic thingmajig) antenna position to be in the correct position with respect to the spark. A lot of You tube videos showing the correct antenna position.

However if you still have a very short distance where signal is lost, do post you flight log and contact DJI support as could be an issue with the controller or Spark.
2018-4-17
Use props
Frank13011
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I get signal drop outs at about 200m, managed 300m range / distance  but with regards to altitude we are stuck at 120m by law altitude.

is there any way to change from 5.8 to 2.4 ghz wifi ? I imagine this would help
2018-4-17
Use props
Sparkgako
lvl.2
Dominican Republic

Yeah, I'm not in the US and I'm just starting to learn about the CF/FCC issue. I'm really starting to hate this product. I spend way more time resolving problems.  This distance limitation should be in the product description.

How do I tell if I'm in CF or FCC mode?
Any forum links on this issue?
I see some hacks. Any recommendations?

2018-4-17
Use props
Sparkgako
lvl.2
Dominican Republic

hannesduplessis Posted at 2018-4-17 04:42
Hi Sparkgako, I am currently chatting with Support about this. I had the same distance dropout between 200-300 meters in unobstructed airspace, and could not understand why. Will post back if something gets solved.

I'm new and learning but I think it's because we aren't in the US. Our GPS location automatically puts our controller in CE mode which limits our distance due to local laws. Very annoying.
2018-4-17
Use props
Sparkgako
lvl.2
Dominican Republic

rimza Posted at 2018-4-17 05:02
I believe as OP mentioned he cannot even get to the CE distance.

For the OP have a look at the controller (hopefully  you are using the controller as you indicated about using the parabolic thingmajig) antenna position to be in the correct position with respect to the spark. A lot of You tube videos showing the correct antenna position.

I just lose signal. I don't get a message that I'm at a max distance.
2018-4-17
Use props
DJT_MVSP
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2018645 ft

FCC Mode: 11 channels in 2.4 Ghz
CE Mode: 13 channels in 2.4 Ghz
Real world range is 2x less compared to rated range so you'll only get around 250 metres (820 ft) in CE mode and 1 km (3280 ft) in FCC mode.
2018-4-17
Use props
JimFandango
lvl.4
United Kingdom

I get around 130m ish on 5.8ghz and about 150m max on 2.4ghz. The connection past about 100m is very, very poor, with constant dropouts and disconnections to the RC. It is better on 2.4ghz, though.
2018-4-17
Use props
Frank13011
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

JimFandango Posted at 2018-4-17 06:19
I get around 130m ish on 5.8ghz and about 150m max on 2.4ghz. The connection past about 100m is very, very poor, with constant dropouts and disconnections to the RC. It is better on 2.4ghz, though.

Interesting, depending where I am flying 200m works fine for me most of the time, so I will try 2.4 and see if I get get 300 ok
2018-4-17
Use props
Frank13011
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

JimFandango Posted at 2018-4-17 06:19
I get around 130m ish on 5.8ghz and about 150m max on 2.4ghz. The connection past about 100m is very, very poor, with constant dropouts and disconnections to the RC. It is better on 2.4ghz, though.

Interesting, depending where I am flying 200m works fine for me most of the time, so I will try 2.4 and see if I get get 300 ok
2018-4-17
Use props
S.J
lvl.4
Flight distance : 322454 ft
Kuwait

Try to fly without internet connection. Secondly ensure you see 5.8GHz indicated at the top right of the mobile screen.  You should be able to fly distances > 2KM easily.
2018-4-17
Use props
JimFandango
lvl.4
United Kingdom

S.J Posted at 2018-4-17 08:24
Try to fly without internet connection. Secondly ensure you see 5.8GHz indicated at the top right of the mobile screen.  You should be able to fly distances > 2KM easily.

Not in Europe. The CE transmission power limits make 2km a flat impossibility.
2018-4-17
Use props
Sparkgako
lvl.2
Dominican Republic

I'm in the Dominican Republic (next to Puerto Rico). I would think we follow the US System but I guess we don't.

My Wi-Fi screen is nuts. Every time I turn it on it shows something different.
Sometimes it shows 2.4G & 5.8G,
other times it shows Auto and Custom.
The graph shows up 32 channels but no color bars as to which are stable.
the Channel index goes up to 13 and then 149 153
If I try Custom it doesn't seem to save.
If I hit the 2.4G button it doesn't switch over.
sometimes a message comes up that my phone doesn't support 5.8G

All this takes time to connect and get a clear camera picture. Often there is lag and signal loss at 250m

This is all bull. I'm getting totally annoyed. Why  can't anyone produce a product that works before launching it?
2018-4-17
Use props
Cookster670
lvl.4
Australia

CE limitations aside, I put my iphone in airplane mode and use OTG.  

I’m in Australia and I gone over 1.3km in good conditions.  In poor conditions, ie over a hill, it’s disconnected as little as 300m.
2018-4-17
Use props
Sparkgako
lvl.2
Dominican Republic

Cookster670 Posted at 2018-4-17 13:27
CE limitations aside, I put my iphone in airplane mode and use OTG.  

I’m in Australia and I gone over 1.3km in good conditions.  In poor conditions, ie over a hill, it’s disconnected as little as 300m.

Can you please explain this? You don't connect to the controller but use a cable? Do you still have contact between the drone and the controller?
2018-4-17
Use props
KurtVD
lvl.4
Flight distance : 365299 ft
Switzerland

Sparkgako Posted at 2018-4-17 13:39
Can you please explain this? You don't connect to the controller but use a cable? Do you still have contact between the drone and the controller?

Yes, there's the possibility of connecting the smartphone to the controller with an USB OTG cable, but it is not officially supported by DJI. With iOS devices it works, with Androids not so much, you need to use an older version of DJI GO if I'm not mistaken. If you can connect the smartphone to the controller via USB, there is only one WiFi network to manage (the connection between aircraft and controller), hence you usually get a better, more stable connection.
2018-4-17
Use props
KurtVD
lvl.4
Switzerland

Sparkgako Posted at 2018-4-17 09:32
I'm in the Dominican Republic (next to Puerto Rico). I would think we follow the US System but I guess we don't.

My Wi-Fi screen is nuts. Every time I turn it on it shows something different.

After having selected "Custom", have you tried selection manually a channel in the 2.4 GHz range? You should pick a channel (between 1 and 13) and select it, then you should get a message that the aircraft will restart. After the restart, the network should be on the channel you had selected before.
2018-4-17
Use props
Sparkgako
lvl.2
Dominican Republic

KurtVD Posted at 2018-4-17 14:03
After having selected "Custom", have you tried selection manually a channel in the 2.4 GHz range? You should pick a channel (between 1 and 13) and select it, then you should get a message that the aircraft will restart. After the restart, the network should be on the channel you had selected before.

So, you have to shut off the aircraft? Thanks.
2018-4-17
Use props
Sparkgako
lvl.2
Dominican Republic

OK now I understand. Let me explain for those that may not. The DJI go 4 app identifies what country you are in and sets your Wi-Fi frequencies. If you are in the US it will set it to FCC and if you are in other places it may set it to CE. FCC is way stronger and gives you great distance and CE is weaker and only gives you about 250m.

There are hacks or ways to get around this, so you can put your device in FCC mode and get better distance. One is to install a modified version of the dji go 4 app that sets your device to FCC mode. Anther way is to use an app that tricks your aircraft into thinking you are in the US so that it goes into FCC mode. Then you use an old version of the DJI go 4 app that doesn't have the ability to change back to CE. I found many youtube videos on how to do this. I also found this on another forum:
https://phantompilots.com/thread ... s-with-p3se.128089/

I guess DJI wants to produce a responsible product that complies with the laws where they are sold. However, I think they should leave a certain amount of control in the hands of the consumer.
2018-4-17
Use props
Bergasha
lvl.2
Flight distance : 64232 ft
Australia

I flew over 3km (1.8 Miles) just the other day, I use cheap dish range extenders with OTG cable with Ipad air 2. I contantly fly over 1-2km without issue. I always have Ipad in Airplane mode and my phones Bluetooth and WiFi off when I fly, And I live in Australia.

2018-4-17
Use props
Jos A
Second Officer
Flight distance : 73209 ft
Netherlands

you have a pm
2018-4-17
Use props
S-e-ven
First Officer
Flight distance : 5922034 ft
  • >>>
Thailand

Sparkgako Posted at 2018-4-17 13:39

Look up the 'million' topics about the OTG situation.
It helps a lot!
Aside that FCC is the only mode that get you real distances!

So you need assumingly 2 problems to target
2018-4-17
Use props
WilfredSparkman 0
lvl.4
Flight distance : 182215 ft
United Kingdom

hannesduplessis Posted at 2018-4-17 04:42

Is it not just purely because you are in the UK? CE regs are less than 300M
2018-4-18
Use props
Sparkgako
lvl.2
Dominican Republic

Bergasha Posted at 2018-4-17 19:55
I flew over 3km (1.8 Miles) just the other day, I use cheap dish range extenders with OTG cable with Ipad air 2. I contantly fly over 1-2km without issue. I always have Ipad in Airplane mode and my phones Bluetooth and WiFi off when I fly, And I live in Australia.

[view_image]

With all that stuff off, does that mean you have no vision or know where you are?
2018-4-18
Use props
Sparkgako
lvl.2
Dominican Republic

S-e-ven Posted at 2018-4-17 22:47
Look up the 'million' topics about the OTG situation.
It helps a lot!
Aside that FCC is the only mode that get you real distances!

The cable worked at first then stopped. I think my app updated. But I thought you still had to have the WIFI on even with the cable. Will try without WIFI and with an old version of the app.  thanks.
2018-4-18
Use props
S-e-ven
First Officer
Flight distance : 5922034 ft
  • >>>
Thailand

Sparkgako Posted at 2018-4-18 03:30
The cable worked at first then stopped. I think my app updated. But I thought you still had to have the WIFI on even with the cable. Will try without WIFI and with an old version of the app.  thanks.

Wifi from the phone off or delete the RC-Wifi in the phone
And "tell" playstore NOT to auto update DJI Go4 ;-)
2018-4-18
Use props
KurtVD
lvl.4
Switzerland

Sparkgako Posted at 2018-4-17 18:32
So, you have to shut off the aircraft? Thanks.

No, once you select a channel manually, you will get a message, warning you that aircraft will restart on its own. You just have to select the channel you want, you don't have to shut it off.
2018-4-18
Use props
Sparkgako
lvl.2
Dominican Republic

Problem Solved!

I downloaded the fake GPS app and set it to the US. After my AC was set to FCC, I removed the DJI Go 4 app and all the files. Then I installed DJI Go 4 4.1.15. Now, when the app asks if I want to update my location I say, no. I also set my phone not to update the app. As I understand it this keeps me in FCC mode.

I didn't know you could shut off the WIFI when using the OTG cable and still fly. I tried, in the past, and lost visual. I guess I wasn't well connected. I tried again and it worked without Wifi. The only problem I had was the map of the area didn't load at first and I had to turn on Wifi for a second till it loaded. At some point I looked at the WIFI and I noticed the 11 channels in 2.4G so I guess I was in FCC. After connecting with the cable I noticed the 5.8G in the main screen.

I flew a maximum distance of 1077m today. I lost a bit of signal on the way back, perhaps due to trees. That's what I expected from the Spark. I feel a lot more secure flying now.

Thanks for your comments. They pushed me towards a solution.
2018-4-20
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules