Brand new P4 Advanced - battery does not work
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
PaavoS
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Hi all,

I am new here. Please let me know if this is the wrong place. I just bought a Phantom 4 Advanced. When I opened the box, the remote LED flashes when I press it's power button. But the main battery (5870mAh) does not light up when I press or hold its only button.

When I charge the remote control, its light flashes. But again, when I charge the drone battery, nothing happens. I tried charging it for an hour to see if something happens, but no luck. To me it looks like the battery was faulty straight out of the box. But this is my first DJI product, so maybe I am doing something wrong.

Would appreciate any advice from you guys before I contact technical support.

Many thanks!
2018-4-17
Use props
KedDK
First Officer
Flight distance : 1133038 ft
Denmark

How many of the leds light up when you press the button?
If the battery  is almost full charged nothing happen when you connect the charger. if you power on the battery before connecting charger it might top up and then turn off.
2018-4-17
Use props
KedDK
First Officer
Denmark

Sorry just re-read you post, it is only the remote that lid up, try keeping the charger connected at least some hours prefered for a day and see if it wake up.
2018-4-17
Use props
PaavoS
lvl.1
United Kingdom

KedDK Posted at 2018-4-17 23:42
Sorry just re-read you post, it is only the remote that lid up, try keeping the charger connected at least some hours prefered for a day and see if it wake up.

Thank you! I will try charging it for a day. Indeed, when I press the button nothing lights up. Is it worth trying to fly the drone? Maybe the battery works but just the LED light is broken?
2018-4-18
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>

PaavoS Posted at 2018-4-18 00:42
Thank you! I will try charging it for a day. Indeed, when I press the button nothing lights up. Is it worth trying to fly the drone? Maybe the battery works but just the LED light is broken?

Try your longer charge period, but if no joy then back to retailer for replacement unit.

It's very unlikely that it's just a dud LED display, even if it were it still needs to function properly for you to use your unit. These batteries are susceptible to damage if stored for a long time without use.
2018-4-18
Use props
KedDK
First Officer
Denmark

If not it can be wakened up for life yours wouldn't be the first but sometimes it can take some time to get out of hibernation.

As Aardvark say you shouldn't be using it even if you could if it is not working as expected.

If not done already, spend some time reading the quick start guide, manual and the battery guidelines found in the download section, there is a little info on the battery behavior.
2018-4-18
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Is it worth trying to fly the drone?

Definitely not.
Launching with a partially charged battery is something you should never do.
The % indicator only gives a true reading when you start with a fully charged battery.
This has been the cause of many fall-from-the-sky incidents.

However you could power up the Phantom (with props off) and configure the app to display battery and cell voltages to get an idea what's going on with it.
2018-4-18
Use props
jbj220
lvl.4
Flight distance : 847031 ft
United States

My p4a came the same way, send it back for replacement. Carolina Dronz had mine to me within two days with return paid shipping on the disfunctional one.
2018-4-18
Use props
jimm00re
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1277503 ft
United States

Reading online before purchase, this is very common with the P4A. Because of this I ordered my P4A with a additional battery. I'm glad I did. My P4A like many others, arrived with a non functioning battery. I contacted DJI and B&H (my point of purchase). It was immediately apparent that B&H was quicker and more efficient in thier handling. Even at that it was still about two weeks before getting the replacement battery.  It would have been a real bummer If I didn't have the spare on hand...
2018-4-18
Use props
DarkZero
lvl.4
Flight distance : 923127 ft
Australia

Take it back to where you purchased it.
2018-4-18
Use props
PaavoS
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Thank you so much for all the responses guys! This forum is amazing. I will follow your advice. I will not fly the drone. Sadly, I bought it from a store which is closing down and does not offer any post-sales services anymore. I will contact DJI for a replacement.
2018-4-19
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

PaavoS Posted at 2018-4-19 11:15
Thank you so much for all the responses guys! This forum is amazing. I will follow your advice. I will not fly the drone. Sadly, I bought it from a store which is closing down and does not offer any post-sales services anymore. I will contact DJI for a replacement.

If you keep failing to charge your batteries, please contact our support or the dealer you buy: http://www.dji.com/support Please contact us if you have any doubt.
2018-4-22
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>

PaavoS Posted at 2018-4-19 11:15

"Sadly, I bought it from a store which is closing down and does not offer any post-sales services anymore"

They are not offering what was there returns policy for non faulty goods, but I think they are still obliged by law to cover any faulty items they sell. Give them a ring and ask.

Failing that, I've had one good returns experience with DJI Europe in the Netherlands. A two week turn around where eight days item was in transit :-)
2018-4-23
Use props
PaavoS
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Hi all,

Thank you for the advice and support! I have contacted DJI, they have offered to inspect the battery and offer a replacement if faulty. They are paying for the posting as well
2018-4-23
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules