Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Emergency landing
51474 21 2018-4-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fburdey
lvl.2
Flight distance : 13822 ft
Switzerland

Hello,

I was flying with my Mavic Pro (ok, probably battery on the low end) and decided to fly over water.

I SWEAR there was no bleeping, low battery warning or anything. But suddently it "landed". Very very luckily it fell on a boat, but 10 cm from that it was in the water.

Did I miss anything? Or can it be an issue with the battery that suddenly lost power? It's quite new...

Thanks in advance for your input

Fred
2018-4-18
Use props
msinger
First Officer
Flight distance : 228255 ft
  • >>>
United States

Check out your TXT flight log to see if it explains what happened. You can upload and view it online here. If you'd like other people to review and comment on your flight log, then please post a link back here after you upload it.
2018-4-18
Use props
fburdey
lvl.2
Switzerland

Thanks for the answer.

I don't understand how to export a txt file from the phone app, will look into it later, but what I can see when playing the flight is that the battery went in a 5 seconds (literally) from 21 to 17%, then in 2 seconds to 14%.

So that would explain why I didn't hear any bleep but that emergency landing was triggered.

Defect battery or to be expected with a relatively new one?
2018-4-18
Use props
M2Wair
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1192231 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

10% the aircraft will auto land. You should be looking to land at 30% battery, never take off without charging battery fully.
2018-4-18
Use props
fburdey
lvl.2
Switzerland

I need to check the internal log... 14% is the last value recorded on the phone, but it could be there was another sudden drop.

It was 5m from me... but over water ;)
2018-4-18
Use props
fburdey
lvl.2
Switzerland

I'll be more careful with the 30% landing, sounds wise.

But as I'm new to it, I do several take offs and landings, short flights, so unless I buy 10 batteries I don't see how I could always take off with a full battery...
2018-4-18
Use props
M2Wair
Second Officer
  • >>>
Ireland

fburdey Posted at 2018-4-18 05:03
I need to check the internal log... 14% is the last value recorded on the phone, but it could be there was another sudden drop.

It was 5m from me... but over water ;)

Low battery was the problem.  like I said you should be looking to RTH at 30% battery level and landing before you hit critical battery levels. I personally aim to be on the ground 20% not lower whenever I fly.  Plan your mission with battery levels in mind, take into account wind, temperature etc fly safe must be a priority so you don't become a statistic.
2018-4-18
Use props
msinger
First Officer
Flight distance : 228255 ft
  • >>>
United States

M2Wair Posted at 2018-4-18 05:01
10% the aircraft will auto land. You should be looking to land at 30% battery, never take off without charging battery fully.

The aircraft auto lands when the battery reaches the critically low level. That's not triggered at 10% battery. It's triggered at the point where the aircraft calculates it only has enough battery power remaining to safely make it to the ground.
2018-4-18
Use props
fburdey
lvl.2
Switzerland

Thanks for your input. Lesson learned ;)
2018-4-18
Use props
maurom82
lvl.4
Flight distance : 143757 ft
Italy

it's very strange that it doesn't beeps when time is inside "yellow" bar
2018-4-18
Use props
fburdey
lvl.2
Switzerland

Ok, so after just avoiding a water landing, I had an other problem: the Mavic suddenly leaned on the left. I tried to move it, it gained speed (laterally, with some turning on itself) and crashed against a wall.

There was nothing I could do.

Gimbal plate is broken

Two questions:
- What did I do wrong?
- Where to repair it in Switzerland?

I got the .dat log from the AC but I cannot open it nor send it to support, so I put it on a cloud
https://drive.google.com/open?id ... cxwHnCoNDi2VwW0dmGA

Thanks in advance for your input
2018-4-18
Use props
M2Wair
Second Officer
  • >>>
Ireland

Oh no, sorry to hear that, you need to contact dji and start a repair service asap. (The repair centre for Europe is in the Netherlands)

https://repair.dji.com/repair/index

2018-4-18
Use props
GoldenSun
Second Officer
Flight distance : 681903 ft
Poland

Have you changed the low battery warning level?
2018-4-18
Use props
fburdey
lvl.2
Switzerland

I opened a ticket

Actually found the log on my Android:

http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/SG6AP9EWNS00OZZN9ONE/

It's a compass error. Could have been avoided?

It's near work and I get warnings about lot of interferences, is it a no-go, then?
2018-4-18
Use props
fburdey
lvl.2
Switzerland

GoldenSun Posted at 2018-4-18 13:33
Have you changed the low battery warning level?

Yes I did increase it. But in this case the battery was full, had just taken off.
2018-4-18
Use props
GoldenSun
Second Officer
Flight distance : 681903 ft
Poland

fburdey Posted at 2018-4-18 13:41
Yes I did increase it. But in this case the battery was full, had just taken off.

Hmmm that is very weird...
2018-4-18
Use props
FlyDK
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1636286 ft
Denmark

Lots of interference is a no-go for sure.
Did you check the status of IMU and Compass before take off?

Could have been avoided?
It probably could.
2018-4-18
Use props
Wachtberger
First Officer
Flight distance : 261509 ft

fburdey Posted at 2018-4-18 13:40
I opened a ticket

Actually found the log on my Android:

Yes, whenever you get this kind of warnings land immediately if possible.
2018-4-18
Use props
fburdey
lvl.2
Switzerland

Ok, thanks again for all the input.

Painful lesson again. Luckily the camera is intact, and the AC still flies ok, "just" the gimbal plate to change.

I'll really be more careful.

But I'm still surprised the Mavic Pro can so suddenly totally lose control, as if it were piloted by someone else... The camera was nearly facing the wall, it should have seen it... but at 20 km/h...
2018-4-18
Use props
Brad Bilger
lvl.4
Flight distance : 14843274 ft

One quick question since I don't speak the language.  The building that you were flying next to.  I am looking at your flight record and I see that the building next to where you are flying is labeled as "L'eprouvette, Laboratorie public de L'Universitee de Lausanne."   It probably has no effect, but.. what sort of Laboratory??  Medical, or biological wouldn't have any affect unless the Medical end of that building contains a large MRI or CT scanner.  I was wondering since your record shows a lot of Compass errors.  Looking at their web site, I see that it is Medical...  So could there be a large MRI in that end of the building??  
2018-4-18
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft

fburdey Posted at 2018-4-18 11:53
Ok, so after just avoiding a water landing, I had an other problem: the Mavic suddenly leaned on the left. I tried to move it, it gained speed (laterally, with some turning on itself) and crashed against a wall.

There was nothing I could do.

Hi, I'm sorry to hear about the accident. Please kindly contact our support to start a case and send it in for diagnosis: https://www.dji.com/support. If the drone is still in warranty period, the local team will arrange data analysis after they received the package. Hope everything will be fine soon, thanks!
2018-4-18
Use props
Boitano
New

Philippines

same thing happened to me and my spark! here's the video----->>> facebook.com/jojo329/videos/10156460132922931/
2018-10-23
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules