Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Flying drone in Greece
31424 25 2018-4-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
ckloke
lvl.4
Flight distance : 828261 ft

Hi,
I will be travelling to Athens Greece, Chalkida, Zakynthos and would like to ask if any restriction flying my mavic air over there? Thanks in advance
2018-4-18
Use props
B1houdini
Second Officer
Flight distance : 927927 ft
United States

This might answer your question
From the Civil Aviation Authority  YPA
Drone use is allowed in Greece, but there are several drone laws that need to be followed when flying in the country. Operators must ensure that they follow the following drone laws when flying in Greece,

Do not fly your drone over people or large crowds
Do not fly your drone higher than 120 meters
Do not fly your drone within 50 meters of buildings, people, or vehicles not associated with the operation of the drone
You must fly your drone no farther than 500 meters, or within line of sight, whichever is closer
Do not film any archeological sites
Respect others privacy when flying your drone
Do not fly your drone within 8km of airports or in areas where aircraft are operating
You must fly during daylight hours and only fly in good weather conditions. You are permitted to fly your drone 30 minutes before sunrise and 30 minutes after sunset
Do not fly your drone in sensitive areas including government or military facilities. Use of drones or camera drones in these areas are prohibited
2018-4-18
Use props
InvisibleName 7
lvl.4
Flight distance : 795653 ft

Official site here: Rules for flying in Greece
2018-4-18
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft

B1houdini Posted at 2018-4-18 08:27
This might answer your question
From the Civil Aviation Authority  YPA
Drone use is allowed in Greece, but there are several drone laws that need to be followed when flying in the country. Operators must ensure that they follow the following drone laws when flying in Greece,

Thanks for sharing the information.
2018-4-18
Use props
randy.sauder
lvl.4
Flight distance : 872572 ft
Canada

Enjoy your Mavic in Greece.  Avoid most sites in Athens as well as MAJOR tourist areas where there are large crowds and you will be fine, in other words do NOT fly around the Parthenon.  I took my Mavic to Greece last summer and it was incredible- one of the best countries to drone IMO.  So many areas where it is safe to fly; one of my favorites (besides Santorini) is Rhodes. The people and the authorities are very chill.  Enjoy.  
2018-4-18
Use props
ckloke
lvl.4

Thank you everyone for your quick response. This is helpful enough.
Have a great weekend ahead
2018-4-19
Use props
jpap
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1780679 ft
Greece

Most of the above advices are correct. I would just add, the common sense. In addition to the above devices, just use common sense, don't do anything stupid and you will be fine.

Being Greek, I always tried to fly  away from people, city centres and I had no issues.

Enjoy your time.
2018-4-19
Use props
JPZPerspectivz
lvl.1
Flight distance : 425171 ft

Hi there, I am currently in Greece and have some learnings. I would classify myself as a sensible flyer and always look to find areas to fly with few people. Depending on where you go in Greece this can be easy or quite difficult. Most islands you legally can’t fly as they are small and hard to find an area that is not 8km from the airport. When in Corfu we were a 45 minute car ride from the side of the island with the airport. It was easy and stress free. I was right at the edge of the 8kn perimeter and airplanes were high above if they flew over the top of us.i then traveled to Athena and on the first night witnesses aomeone fly the Mavic off the the mars rock which is right out front of the Acropolis. After seeing this I was determined to fly and looked on the Greek built drone app. It looked like there was an area that was outside the perimeter of the no fly zone according to their app. After finding a low populated area, I got the drone up in the air and within 30 secs a guy came from nowhere and told me that I could not fly. He was super nice and said that he had already had three people flying that day and that it was not allowed due to it being an archeological site. Next I went to Mykonos. Here the whole island is pretty much within 8km from the airport and there are airplanes and helicopters flying Farley low. I flew in two spots further from the airport where it felt safe if I flew low. However, ion the third flight I got warned by a local that it was not allowed. After that, I decided to put the drone away as it was not worth the trouble. It would be great to hear your experience ckloke!
2018-5-18
Use props
ckloke
lvl.4

JPZPerspectivz Posted at 2018-5-18 02:33
Hi there, I am currently in Greece and have some learnings. I would classify myself as a sensible flyer and always look to find areas to fly with few people. Depending on where you go in Greece this can be easy or quite difficult. Most islands you legally can’t fly as they are small and hard to find an area that is not 8km from the airport. When in Corfu we were a 45 minute car ride from the side of the island with the airport. It was easy and stress free. I was right at the edge of the 8kn perimeter and airplanes were high above if they flew over the top of us.i then traveled to Athena and on the first night witnesses aomeone fly the Mavic off the the mars rock which is right out front of the Acropolis. After seeing this I was determined to fly and looked on the Greek built drone app. It looked like there was an area that was outside the perimeter of the no fly zone according to their app. After finding a low populated area, I got the drone up in the air and within 30 secs a guy came from nowhere and told me that I could not fly. He was super nice and said that he had already had three people flying that day and that it was not allowed due to it being an archeological site. Next I went to Mykonos. Here the whole island is pretty much within 8km from the airport and there are airplanes and helicopters flying Farley low. I flew in two spots further from the airport where it felt safe if I flew low. However, ion the third flight I got warned by a local that it was not allowed. After that, I decided to put the drone away as it was not worth the trouble. It would be great to hear your experience ckloke!

I will be traveling to Zakynthos in June and hope to get some nice pictures and video of this island.
2018-5-18
Use props
ckloke
lvl.4

Hi,
One more question, I know that we need to almost empty the mavic air battery before boarding a flight. Does this also applicable for local flight from Athens to Zakynthos?
2018-6-2
Use props
AlansDronePics
Second Officer
Flight distance : 814751 ft
Guernsey

I had a great time in Zante. You must drone at Navagio Beach, a cheap and interesting boat trip to the cove is worth the trip.

2018-6-3
Use props
ckloke
lvl.4

AlansDronePics Posted at 2018-6-3 05:05
I had a great time in Zante. You must drone at Navagio Beach, a cheap and interesting boat trip to the cove is worth the trip.
[view_image]
[view_image]

Thanks a lot for the info. Navagio beach is definitely on my top list with my drone.  Love your pictures indeed. The homeowner that we planned to stay offers us 1 boat 150 euros from 8 am till 3 pm that will pick us up right in front of our house.
2018-6-3
Use props
ckloke
lvl.4

2018-6-23
Use props
CA Mavic Pro
lvl.4
Flight distance : 639652 ft
Lebanon

AlansDronePics Posted at 2018-6-3 05:05
[view_image]
[view_image]

Beautiful shots
2018-7-24
Use props
djiuser_0e5XFZyQrWF6
New

United Kingdom

randy.sauder Posted at 2018-4-18 18:16
Enjoy your Mavic in Greece.  Avoid most sites in Athens as well as MAJOR tourist areas where there are large crowds and you will be fine, in other words do NOT fly around the Parthenon.  I took my Mavic to Greece last summer and it was incredible- one of the best countries to drone IMO.  So many areas where it is safe to fly; one of my favorites (besides Santorini) is Rhodes. The people and the authorities are very chill.  Enjoy.

Hi, did you have any difficulties flying in Santorini island? And we’re you allowed to?
2019-6-13
Use props
USS Pretty-Bird (NCC-1702)
lvl.4
Flight distance : 872572 ft
Canada

djiuser_0e5XFZyQrWF6 Posted at 6-13 09:31
Hi, did you have any difficulties flying in Santorini island? And we’re you allowed to?

As of Jan 2018, all of Santorini is an NFZ.  They added a heliport which reaches Oia now and before this much of the island was open to fly.  Probably a good thing because the heli that does tours there - flies lower than legally allowed.  That is typical Greece for ya.  You can fly on the Akrotiri side by the lighthouse.  Of course there are many areas that are remote from people and aircraft where it is safe (but not legal).  Most islands have airports and the islands often are small enough to create a NFZ for the whole island.  Generally speaking you can fly in many great areas of Greece - fantastic for drone flights.  Just stay away from people, crowded beaches and over main archaeological sites and enjoy.  you can easily take 'drone-like' pictures in Santorini regardless so don't worry thinking that you will miss out too much.  Also, it can be very windy at times and you can get variable drafts around the Caldera walls.  People are very chill and relaxed in Greece so just be respectful of everyone and you won't have issues.  
2019-6-13
Use props
Elpolo
lvl.2
Flight distance : 10643 ft
Australia

Greece is quite tolerant with drones but there are a few things to know:

Before anything, it will differentiate your drone based on its weight:
CAT0 = for drones weighting less than 1 kg
CAT1 = for drones weighting between 1 & 4 kg
CAT2 = for drones weighting between 4 & 25 kg

But also will identify what is your flight's purpose:
Open Flight = flights with drones weighting less than 25 kg staying in visual contact & away from people & crowds.
Specific Flight = drone flight likely to pose significant risks on people.
Certified Flight = drone flight that need the same requirement as for a manned flight, you will need permit, license & airworthiness certificates for these.

It also has several restriction zones that you can identify thanks to this map

From then, you can fly:
- up to 122 m and no further than 500 m from you
- during daytime only and away from any urban area or public infrastructure
- 8kms away from airports
- a few more minor conditions have been listed here: https://www.drone-made.com/post/greece-drone-laws

If your drone weights more than 4kgs: you will need an insurance and a greek translated license
If you wish to fly outside the above conditions you will have to apply for a permission.

Hope this helps.
2019-7-14
Use props
David Martin Graff
Second Officer
Flight distance : 106566408 ft
  • >>>
United States

Nicely done - thanks again for sharing!
2019-7-15
Use props
djiuser_Kf4iPA3DtL3S
lvl.4
Flight distance : 510968 ft
Israel

Elpolo Posted at 7-14 21:57
Greece is quite tolerant with drones but there are a few things to know:

Before anything, it will differentiate your drone based on its weight:

Hi,
Thanks for the information.
Where is this map from? Does it have a legend?

I will be in Skiathos next month. I booked a hotel in the southwest corner of the island, more than 8KM from the airport. I hope it's fine to fly there.
2019-7-15
Use props
wanderwell6
New

Ukraine

I recommend you see Heraklion, Greece is quite tolerant with drones. Enjoy your time
2019-8-12
Use props
Konoir
lvl.1
Flight distance : 561142 ft
Denmark

Hi
I will be flying to greece on the 12th of May and i would like to understand about how do i transfer batteries?
Does anyone have any experience with Aegean?

This is taken from the webpage

"How can I transfer a drone?
A drone can be transferred either within or as a carry on baggage, or as a checked-in baggage and as long as it doesn’t exceed the maximum allowance.
It is important that you notify in advance the airline informing of the drone's battery details such as type, capacity etc"

But also this is from the policy for dangerous goods
In addition, lithium batteries are subject to the following conditions -
For spare/loose batteries:
Passengers may carry up to 2 spare/loose batteries, and in carry-on baggage only (for portable electronic devices).
a) The Watt-hour rating of lithium ion batteries must be between 100 and 160.
b) The lithium metal content of lithium metal batteries must be between 2 and 8 g. Spare lithium metal batteries will only be permitted for portable medical electronic devices (PMED).

So that means that i can only bring 2 batteries with me?
2021-5-5
Use props
Wjayyousi
New

United Kingdom

Hi, anyone knows where i can buy Mavic Pro battery in Athens Greece?
2021-9-7
Use props
trainz
New

Romania

Hi guys, here is a link to a new webcam site from wonderful Greece
There are many webcams I didn't know about, from Skiathos,Skopelos,Faliraky,Corfu,Sarti,Zakynthos or Vasiliky Lefkada webcam .
https://www.webcamgreece.com/
2021-10-13
Use props
djiuser_NaoLo103M96h
New

Moldova

Sorry, but is there any problem if I travel by plane? Are there any problems at Airport ? I have a djimini2 and I don't have any documents
2023-7-7
Use props
djiuser_NaoLo103M96h
New

Moldova

Konoir Posted at 2021-5-5 01:44
Hi
I will be flying to greece on the 12th of May and i would like to understand about how do i transfer batteries?
Does anyone have any experience with Aegean?

Do you have an answer?
2023-7-7
Use props
ckloke
lvl.4
Malaysia

djiuser_NaoLo103M96h Posted at 7-7 05:02
Sorry, but is there any problem if I travel by plane? Are there any problems at Airport ? I have a djimini2 and I don't have any documents

I didn't encounter any problem at the airportt during my travel to Greece.
2023-7-7
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules