Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
How to use that little Compass....
3765 36 2018-4-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
JJBspark
Captain
Flight distance : 12132231 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Hi all,

Just a short video how to use that compass thing bottem left GoApp.
cheers
JJB

https://vimeo.com/265423965

2018-4-18
Use props
dj_dread
Captain
Flight distance : 648399 ft
Romania

good explanation!
thanks for sharing!
2018-4-18
Use props
JJBspark
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

My pleasure, hope that 'newbies' can learn from it.

I see too many drone flyers who start their flights with ; overwater flights, under bridges flying, between high bulidings etc etc.
IMO the first need is to learn how the drone is working, all the modes, warnings on the screen (what do they mean and how do i react on that) etc etc.
Test the RTH procedure closeby and far away, low batt RTH (what does it do ?, oops, my RTH height setting is high and i fly under trees..)

Cheers
JJB
2018-4-19
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Nice to see!
2018-4-19
Use props
Flighty
Captain
Flight distance : 1977175 ft
Croatia

Very good,, I always refer to the Compass and Red arrow when I momentarily lose sight of the Drone. Great help ,,
2018-4-20
Use props
tomkrist
lvl.4
Flight distance : 276473 ft
Norway

I tryed to get that compass but where do i get it from? I have the map viewer there at the moment,not the compass.
2018-4-20
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Great info to share!
2018-4-20
Use props
djiuser_RojfSW97etD9
First Officer
Flight distance : 24259 ft
Australia

tomkrist Posted at 2018-4-20 00:23
I tryed to get that compass but where do i get it from? I have the map viewer there at the moment,not the compass.

Touch the icon, top right of the small map/camera window.

2018-4-20
Use props
Duncdude
lvl.3
Flight distance : 18491 ft
United Kingdom

Great little tutorial. Very useful to us newbies. My Go4 app is set to the map by default so its handy to know how to toggle between the two options too.
2018-4-20
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft

Great info, it's helpful, thanks for sharing the video with us!
2018-4-20
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft

djiuser_RojfSW97etD9 Posted at 2018-4-20 02:56
Touch the icon, top right of the small map/camera window.

[view_image]

Useful information, thanks for sharing.
2018-4-20
Use props
eelco
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1091447 ft
Netherlands

Perfekt filmpje!! erg handig. Dank
2018-6-30
Use props
BumblerBee
First Officer
Flight distance : 639764 ft
Norway

That's a good tutorial, JJB. Thank you!
And an excellent scenery as a backdrop for this tutorial

2018-9-3
Use props
Tentoes
Captain
Flight distance : 6018255 ft
United States

Nice explanation. Thanks.

So your first flight should not be downwind over water to see how far it can go?
2018-9-3
Use props
Alex Batalov
Captain
Flight distance : 21105262 ft

Spain

I do my long flights along the beach line, did one today for 2300 meters
And yes good video JJB, and I always check the compass when I’m flying, to make sure that I’m pointing right at the drone.

Safe flying all.
Alex.
2018-9-3
Use props
13ringinheat
lvl.4
Flight distance : 103612 ft
United States

Thank you sir for this.....you are a gentleman and a scholar
2018-9-3
Use props
nrrt***********
Second Officer

United States

thank you
2018-9-3
Use props
Warriewoodlad
First Officer
Flight distance : 625230 ft
Australia

Good to know!  I had been using it intuitively, but your more rigorous treatment brought home to me the full potential of the compass. Perhaps your next one could be on the map and how to use it to do a manual return to home? Thanks for a very useful video.
2018-9-3
Use props
Ronnie.Choy
First Officer
Flight distance : 1261211 ft
Singapore

Great job. Informative and easily understood. Thanks.
2018-9-3
Use props
S.J
Captain
Flight distance : 322454 ft
Kuwait

nice tutorial ..
2018-9-4
Use props
Flighty
Captain
Flight distance : 1977175 ft
Croatia

Thanks for the info,,, the compass is something I use every flight...
2018-9-4
Use props
nixuspix
Captain
Flight distance : 2864974 ft
  • >>>
Latvia

Very helpful and comprehensive information. Thank You
2018-9-4
Use props
Tomcatuk
Captain
Flight distance : 28743 ft

Only just came across this video very informative thank you jjbSpark for making it.
2018-9-26
Use props
wimherman
Second Officer
Flight distance : 208556 ft
Norway

Nice vid!
2018-9-26
Use props
CharlieZ
Captain
Flight distance : 623432 ft
United States

Cool, thanks for sharing!
2019-1-11
Use props
Sayhelloforme
Captain
Flight distance : 8133219 ft
United States

Great information. Beautiful country and video. Very helpful. You mentioned not to fly in your own wind when descending but didn’t DJI correct this problem by the displacement of the motors bringing then turned slightly so not to cause vortex ring state ? Or can it still happen because of  the movement of wind speed and direction of natural wind ? Thank you so much.
2019-2-10
Use props
JJB*
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

Sayhelloforme Posted at 2-10 19:19
Great information. Beautiful country and video. Very helpful. You mentioned not to fly in your own wind when descending but didn’t DJI correct this problem by the displacement of the motors bringing then turned slightly so not to cause vortex ring state ? Or can it still happen because of  the movement of wind speed and direction of natural wind ? Thank you so much.

Hi,

Good question, i do not know if DJI correct this by displacement of the motors. (where else should they place them?)

I just listen to my drone and hear a difference when descending flying in my own wind (plus watch its stability) or descend with forward speed.
And yes, its al in areodynamics , is it possible for a drone to get into a kind of settling with power situation? probably not but imo better safe than sorry.

cheers
JJB
2019-2-10
Use props
Gator Don
Second Officer
United States

Will not come up on my computer, dang?
2019-2-11
Use props
Sayhelloforme
Captain
Flight distance : 8133219 ft
United States

JJB* Posted at 2-10 23:12
Hi,

Good question, i do not know if DJI correct this by displacement of the motors. (where else should they place them?)

“ where else would they place them” hehehe
Ok, if you look at the motors, none of them are exactly straight up and down.The motors are at a slight angle from their axes. Look at them close and let me know what you think.
I didn’t notice this myself until someone told me about it. It’s also like this on my p3p and I was told it’s because of vortex ring state.
2019-2-11
Use props
bugalugs22
lvl.3
Flight distance : 67684 ft
Australia

dank je wel
2019-2-12
Use props
JJB*
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

Sayhelloforme Posted at 2-11 19:44
“ where else would they place them” hehehe
Ok, if you look at the motors, none of them are exactly straight up and down.The motors are at a slight angle from their axes. Look at them close and let me know what you think.
I didn’t notice this myself until someone told me about it. It’s also like this on my p3p and I was told it’s because of vortex ring state.

yes, i know. But still possible to fly in your own down-wash when descending.
Only  an offset of 45 degrees from the horizontal creates in the middle a no wind part in wich 100% vertical downward flying is possible without....bla bla  ;-0

To much theory, for me second nature is to fly fwd while descending, if only for the better sound i hear doing this.....

cheers
JJB

2019-2-12
Use props
JJB*
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

geen dank, van origine Nederlands?
2019-2-12
Use props
Rustic17
Captain
Flight distance : 2716936 ft
United States

You can definitely hear and see a difference flying straight down versus moving forward and descending.  I have found that if the drone is above me, the fastest descent is with the left control stick full 4-5 or 7-8 o'clock and some forward right control stick.
The motors have to be tilted to get the drone to move in different directions.  They are all tilted outward from the center axis of the drone...to move in a certain direction the motors on the side in the direction you want to move speed up faster than the motors on the opposite side...they then pull the drone in the direction you want to go.  If the motors were perfectly vertical, you'd never be able to move laterally.  If I'm wrong about this, someone let me know.
2019-2-12
Use props
JJB*
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

Rustic17 Posted at 2-12 09:06
You can definitely hear and see a difference flying straight down versus moving forward and descending.  I have found that if the drone is above me, the fastest descent is with the left control stick full 4-5 or 7-8 o'clock and some forward right control stick.
The motors have to be tilted to get the drone to move in different directions.  They are all tilted outward from the center axis of the drone...to move in a certain direction the motors on the side in the direction you want to move speed up faster than the motors on the opposite side...they then pull the drone in the direction you want to go.  If the motors were perfectly vertical, you'd never be able to move laterally.  If I'm wrong about this, someone let me know.

Interesting. If the engine were perfectly vertical and let`s say the two left rotors are spinning at lower rpm...that side will drop so the resulting vertical lift will change too, resulting in 1 vertical component and 1 side component. Thus AC moves left. Same for all other 359 directions.

2019-2-12
Use props
eYeSkYeYe
Captain

Croatia

Very nice and informative video. I really like the extra tip on avoiding prop wash.
There is a little bit more to all this but I highly doubt average DJI consumer would be bothered by terms like "retreating blade stall" or "vortex ring state".
2019-2-12
Use props
JJB*
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

eYeSkYeYe Posted at 2-12 12:42
Very nice and informative video. I really like the extra tip on avoiding prop wash.
There is a little bit more to all this but I highly doubt average DJI consumer would be bothered by terms like "retreating blade stall" or "vortex ring state".

i know, my own worst experience was flying in a helicopter backwards at low alt above water into a our own faulty wind....f*ck, had my emergency air bottle ready for use,  real close to a disaster!
2019-2-12
Use props
ChrisJG
Captain
Flight distance : 1725341 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Excellent, thank you, I knew there was more to that little gizmo in the corner of the screen.
2019-2-12
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules