Thinking of getting a Phantom 4 Pro, quick question
1300 15 2018-4-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Picksaw
lvl.1

Sweden

I am thinking of buying Phantom 4 Pro drone. I read a review stating that a guy needed to return two of these drones before getting one that was not broken. What are your experiences, and if you have any tips for a beginner, please let me know.

Thanks in advance

2018-4-18
Use props
Hellsgate
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1991555 ft
Australia

The p4p is a fantastic machine.
You must remember one thing even in a forum like this you will only ever hear about the negatives ok its very rare for people to give praise, it doesnt seem to be in our nature.
Do your homework first make sure its the one you want.
After you have bought your new toy READ THE MANUAL.
After you have read the manual READ IT AGAIN.
you can download the full manual online.
If your new to drones then start in beginner mode untill you get the hang of things.
2018-4-18
Use props
ALABAMA
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10442687 ft
United States

A lemon is rare, two in a row is unbelievable.
2018-4-18
Use props
TheMann58
lvl.4
Flight distance : 18669501 ft
  • >>>
United States

The DJI Phantom 4 Pro is a fantastic piece of drone technology that will allow you, after gaining some experience and learning of basic drone videography techniques, to take very high-quality aerial videos and photos.

Here is my advice to have the most trouble-free and enjoyable experience:
1) Buy from a reputable dealer - I recommend Best Buy as they are an authorized DJI reseller and have a reasonable return policy; this will assure that you will be purchasing brand-new, never-opened hardware from an authorized dealer.
2) Download and read the entire DJI Phantom 4 Pro manual. Read it again.
3) Watch several excellent YouTube videos about how to set up and calibrate your Phantom 4 Pro.
4) Install the DJI GO 4 app on your mobile device. I STRONGLY recommend that you use or purchase a newer Apple iPad Air or iPad Pro as user experience documented on this DJI forum and other DJI forums indicates that the DJI app running under iOS on a newer iPad is the most reliable, never-crashes, works-well experience.  If you use an Android device - expect at least occasional app hangs and device lockups.
5) Watch DJI's videos on how to update the firmware of your P4Pro. Then watch them again.
6) Connect your mobile device to Internet using a reliable, high-speed home WiFi.
7) Using DJI GO 4 app, create and login in to your DJI user account.
8) Install latest firmware update on your P4Pro aircraft, battery and remote controller using DJI GO 4 app. If you purchased several spare batteries, after completing initial firmware update, power down the P4Pro, replace battery, power up, wait for "Inconisistent Firmware" message, and then proceed to update second battery. Repeat for third/fourth/ etc. batteries. Battery firmware updates only take a minute or so each vs. 7-15 minutes for P4Pro aircraft/RC firmware updates.
9) Watch DJI video on how to perform an IMU calibration on your P4Pro. NOTE: The P4Pro has been manufactured in and shipped from China, jostled around in a dozen shipping trucks, boats and planes before getting to your home. You MUST perform an IMU calibration at least once on your new drone to give the best, most stable, flying experience with a new drone. In addition, the IMU calibration, properly executed, will also yield a very level, possibly perfectly level, camera gimbal during flight. I have found with my P4Pro that the IMU calibration alone yields the most level gimbal - and if I then perform a Gimbal Calibration - the gimbal level is less perfect than it was immediately after a successful IMU calibration on a level surface.  So, I don't do gimbal calibrations on my P4Pro.
10) Fully charge your P4Pro battery(ies) and your P4Pro Remote Controller.
11) Perform an IMU calibration on a sturdy, level, vibration-proof surface - a granite countertop works well for this. An IMU calibration is not difficult - it just may seem a bit weird that at one point you are asked to position the P4Pro upside down on the level calibration platform.
12) Watch DJI video on how to perform a compass calibration on the P4Pro.
13) Take the P4Pro outside (never inside a building) and perform a compass calibration - preferably in your grass-covered yard - several feet away from any reinforced concrete. NEVER perform a compass calibration inside a building, on a driveway, in a street, or on a concrete parking lot - all these environments likely contain rebar- reinforced concrete surfaces that screw up a compass calibration. Again, because the P4Pro shipped from China, you should always perform a compass calibration before first flying attempt.
14) Buy a cheap plastic landing pad - foldable if you prefer - from numerous eBay/Amazon vendors.
15) Leave your new drone in beginner mode and, if at all possible, find a friend, or friendly DJI drone owner, with experience in DJI drones to go out with you the first few times you fly to provide helpful pointers, to make sure your P4Pro is calibrated correctly, and to provide advice.
16) Find a safe, very open area to practice flying with few if any trees within 200 feet with few if any people about.
17) Practice taking off and landing, flying forward, backward, sideways, turning slowly while flying forward - over and over again, until it becomes second nature.
18) Get in the habit of always STARTING video recording BEFORE you take off. Nothing more disappointing (other than crashing into a tree) than landing after a successful 15-20 minute flight to discover that you forgot to start video recording and you have NO video captured of your latest flying adventure. You can always delete the video later.
19) After getting comfortable with basic flying maneuvers, fly your P4Pro out at least 65 feet away - more if you wish - and test the Return to Home button on the P4Pro - remember to hold the button down for at least five seconds to activate the RTH feature. Be amazed as your P4Pro magically returns to home point at pre-set RTH height, descends and lands within 6 feet of your take-off point (within 6 inches of your take-off point if you use automatic takeoff and check the Precision Takeoff box before moving slider to the right). REMEMBER - at a distance of less than 20 meters (65 feet) from Home Point, if you initiate an RTH, the P4Pro will immediately descend and land where it is.
20) ENJOY flying your P4Pro and watching your recorded videos afterwards!

Dave Mann
2018-4-18
Use props
svjobeth34
lvl.4
Flight distance : 24915 ft

TheMann58 Posted at 2018-4-18 12:58
The DJI Phantom 4 Pro is a fantastic piece of drone technology that will allow you, after gaining some experience and learning of basic drone videography techniques, to take very high-quality aerial videos and photos.

Here is my advice to have the most trouble-free and enjoyable experience:

I agree with what Dave Mann has said - as it would apply to the P4P+ remote controller as that's what I fly.

Also, I have done no calibrations on my P4P and had no issues. The aircraft is flying fine, recording video and shooting photos fine, and I have not been prompted to calibrate the IMU, compass, gimbal, etc. I also have my firmware updates on both the aircraft and the remote controller current. Again, no issues.

It is important to remember what another poster has said above, regarding negative posts/comments: you're rarely going to hear about the 'no issues' experiences. There are far more of these than the other. I read some of the posts about breaking things and wonder, "what in the heck are you guys doing???" Granted crashes happen, accidents happen, but I believe the incidents of random failures are far less than one would perceive from reading in this (and other) forums. My opinion, of course.

That said, I do find DJI's lack of information on their firmware updates both puzzling and frustrating!
2018-4-18
Use props
Hurley1718
Second Officer
Flight distance : 549295 ft
  • >>>
United States

I will also agree with Dave Mann.

I would also recommend watching all the drone YouTube videos you can. Search for drone beginner tips, search for tips on how not to crash your drone and then drone settings videos. This will give you a lot of different opinions but it will be a good base for you to decide what works for you and what doesn't. I was a stress case when I first rose the P4P into the air and then moved it forward, but that feeling will pass as you get more comfortable.

Finally, fly, fly, fly. Practice is they only thing that will get you better. Find a very wide open field (no trees and power lines) and just practice. Don't even worry about filming anything yet. The stress of trying to get a good shot of something could possibly distract you from any obstacles. Once you feel you have control of the drone then you can focus on getting cool scenery.  

Best of luck and I think once you get the hang of it you will fall in love with flying, I know I did.
2018-4-18
Use props
Oracle Miata
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3759829 ft
  • >>>
United States

My first one arrived DOA, my second has been problem free.  
2018-4-18
Use props
Rick218
lvl.1

Absolutely love mine. Not a single issue yet...
2018-4-19
Use props
Eric13
lvl.4
Flight distance : 13982031 ft
  • >>>

Buy at Amazon! In case the drone is bad just send it back within 4 weeks and get your money back.
That saves you the trouble to go through DJI repair and possibly getting a refurbished one.
2018-4-19
Use props
R&L Aerial photography
Second Officer
Flight distance : 298100 ft
  • >>>
United States

I actually had purchased and returned 3 phantom 4 pros when they first came out. The third one I returned for a refund. Several months later I bought the phantom 4 advanced and absolutely love it, no issues.. I’ve invested in many dji quads over the past 4 years and never had issues until the p4 Pro. I honestly think it was just bad luck. The first p4 Pro had a defective mother board and the other 2 had extremely noisy gimbals, they literally were as loud as an electric shaver...
2018-4-19
Use props
Manxmann
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1178793 ft
Australia

P4P +
I have had a couple of issues with my Phantom,  but I must admit that DJI (Melbourne) have been really good to deal with.  
I agree with earlier comments that normally we get onto a forum because we have a problem & need help,  so there is a lot of negativity.
To sumarise:   Yes I have had a couple of hiccups.  Would I buy a Phantom 4 Pro again ?  Too true I would.  They are a fantastic piece of equipment with a brilliant camera.  A joy to fly.

2018-4-19
Use props
squirrel
lvl.2
Flight distance : 72618 ft
United States

I would purchase another, all the problems I have had turned out to be from inexperience or not understanding. now that I have some experience,and the workings. YES THE PRO IS FIRST CLASS BE PATIENT AND SMALL STEPS AT A TIME...I have the Phantom4 Pro+ Love the display
2018-4-19
Use props
DJI raza
lvl.2
Flight distance : 602005 ft
United States

In expert's opinion and my own personal experience , p4p is best consumer drone, the one draw back is you get propeller color banding while flying faster than 40kmh
2018-4-19
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft

Hellsgate Posted at 2018-4-18 11:56
The p4p is a fantastic machine.
You must remember one thing even in a forum like this you will only ever hear about the negatives ok its very rare for people to give praise, it doesnt seem to be in our nature.
Do your homework first make sure its the one you want.

Yes, agree with you.
2018-4-20
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft

Manxmann Posted at 2018-4-19 16:29
P4P +
I have had a couple of issues with my Phantom,  but I must admit that DJI (Melbourne) have been really good to deal with.  
I agree with earlier comments that normally we get onto a forum because we have a problem & need help,  so there is a lot of negativity.

Thank you so much for sharing the positive experience with us, really appreciate your support to DJI products.

Yes, the P4P+ is a fantastic drone. Happy flying!
2018-4-20
Use props
Octovisuals
lvl.2

Spain

What the others have said, plus my personal experience: every small drone, whatever the gimbal, has some degree of vibrations and jello effect (rolling shutter) on the video. Don't let them deceive you.

So if that's a thing for you, be careful...
2018-4-20
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules