Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
High Kp index and quad flying..
1790 10 2018-4-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Oldmaninwva
First Officer
Flight distance : 9750253 ft
United States

Was just curious as to whether any quad pilots have experienced compass problems / Flyaways, ect. while flying when the Kp index gets "Up There"

I personally have not (yet) but I tend to stay grounded when the Kp rises above 5...  At the time that I'm posting this the NOAA read is a 6.

Is it even much of a factor in flying the DJI quads?

2018-4-20
Use props
msinger
Captain
Flight distance : 228255 ft
  • >>>
United States

Check out this post over at Phantom Pilots.
2018-4-20
Use props
AlanHd
Captain
Flight distance : 797365 ft
United Kingdom

Just make sure you are familiar with flying in ATTI mode,  but I would recommend everyone to familiarise themselves flying without GPS as you never know when the **** might hit the fan
2018-4-20
Use props
Hellsgate
Captain
Flight distance : 1991555 ft
Australia

I think you are worried about nothing the worst that might happen is loosing gps lock for a few seconds the phantom will automatically switch to atti mode in which case you should get a warning message.
Ive been flying gps enabled quads now for 3 years and never once had that happened to me.
I think you would have better odds of a plane landing on your head.
As far as flyaways are concerned the geomagnetic field is not disturbed enough to create such a situation your compass would only temporarily be out by a cple of degrees and you posibly wont even notice a thing.
But good and safe flight practices mean that you should be prepared to fly in atti mode at all times just in case somthing does go wrong.
It helps to practice flights in this mode every now and then so you are familiar with how your drone flies in atti mode.
At least once every month i do a practice flight in varying weather conditions just so i dont forget and im prepared.
2018-4-20
Use props
Oldmaninwva
First Officer
United States

AlanHd Posted at 2018-4-20 03:43
Just make sure you are familiar with flying in ATTI mode,  but I would recommend everyone to familiarise themselves flying without GPS as you never know when the **** might hit the fan

I would think that if any extreme amount of %$#@ hits the fan while my bird is in the air I'm not gonna worry too much about whether it comes back or not.    GPS will work as long as those SAT's are in the air and a receiver has the ability to lock the signal.

I do need to occasionally switch to Atti mode more often..  Have when I first started flying because of a severe compass fluctuation on landing took my P4 into some small branches and flipped it upside down into some tall grass (lucky for me and the bird).  Had I flipped into ATTI Mode quick enough I might have been able to prevent that crash.  Once that compass failed that P4 was doing one heck of a dance in the air.  Mind of it's own .
2018-4-20
Use props
Oldmaninwva
First Officer
United States

msinger Posted at 2018-4-20 03:35
Check out this post over at Phantom Pilots.

A very good read.....  I'll still tend to err on the side of caution for the most part... but nice to konw that it does not affect the flight as much as  thought it could or would.
2018-4-20
Use props
ALABAMA
Captain
Flight distance : 10442687 ft
United States

I would bet that these solar flares have absolutely no effect on the drones performance.   Just another "sky is falling" myth.
2018-4-20
Use props
Oldmaninwva
First Officer
United States

ALABAMA Posted at 2018-4-20 05:06
I would bet that these solar flares have absolutely no effect on the drones performance.   Just another "sky is falling" myth.

Radiation affects from solar flares have caused problem with long range digital communications and other non-shielded computer circuits.  I would think that on a "Flare" day a pilot would want to keep the bird closer to home, just in case.
2018-4-20
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Oldmaninwva Posted at 2018-4-20 08:26
Radiation affects from solar flares have caused problem with long range digital communications and other non-shielded computer circuits.  I would think that on a "Flare" day a pilot would want to keep the bird closer to home, just in case.

Yes, solar flares affect long range radio communications, but your drone link is not long range by any stretch of the imagination. It is an urban myth perpetuated by the Future Eloi...
2018-4-20
Use props
Labroides
Captain
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Oldmaninwva Posted at 2018-4-20 04:54
I would think that if any extreme amount of %$#@ hits the fan while my bird is in the air I'm not gonna worry too much about whether it comes back or not.    GPS will work as long as those SAT's are in the air and a receiver has the ability to lock the signal.

I do need to occasionally switch to Atti mode more often..  Have when I first started flying because of a severe compass fluctuation on landing took my P4 into some small branches and flipped it upside down into some tall grass (lucky for me and the bird).  Had I flipped into ATTI Mode quick enough I might have been able to prevent that crash.  Once that compass failed that P4 was doing one heck of a dance in the air.  Mind of it's own .

Once that compass failed that P4 was doing one heck of a dance in the air.  Mind of it's own
Compasses might get messed up by launching from a steel or reinforced concrete surface (operator error) but compasses don't fail.
2018-4-21
Use props
Labroides
Captain
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Oldmaninwva Posted at 2018-4-20 08:26
Radiation affects from solar flares have caused problem with long range digital communications and other non-shielded computer circuits.  I would think that on a "Flare" day a pilot would want to keep the bird closer to home, just in case.

I would think that on a "Flare" day a pilot would want to keep the bird closer to home, just in case.
If there was anything to this common myth, you would see hundreds of incidents whenever the K-index is high.
With well over a million users out there, there have been a huge number flown at all levels of K-index but there still has not been an incident that can be attributed to solar activity.
2018-4-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules