Newbie with questions!
1041 13 2018-4-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
GlobetrotterGP
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Hi everyone, total newbie here so sorry if my questions are pretty basic!!

I've noticed some amazing shots her of buildings cities, roads beaches etc but I'm wondering how you get these as my understanding is you have to be at least 50m away from people to fly? So how do you take off in these public places? Or do you just take off from 50m away and then stay above 50m height around people?!

Also, I just took my first drone flight! SO much fun! But I tried to take some photos and video but now I cannot find them! Where do they get stored or do you have to save them between each flight?! (I took several short flights as I was practising taking off and landing safely so photos may have been on earlier flights?!)

Thanks in advance!

ps off to Sicily tomorrow so will be taking my spark with me - any tips for best places to practice drone photography in Sicily by anyone whos been?

2018-4-20
Use props
NedUK
lvl.3
Flight distance : 555262 ft
United Kingdom

I think you will find that if comman sense is used you can get away with flying a lot closer to people than your supposed to!
2018-4-20
Use props
azswift
First Officer
Flight distance : 13819 ft
United States

Glad you're having fun, please share Sicily when you're able.  You'll find your images and video on the SD card under the flap just above the power button on the back of your Spark.
2018-4-20
Use props
Rustic17
First Officer
Flight distance : 2733760 ft
United States

If you don't have an SD card in your Spark, make sure you buy an approved one...listed in the Spark manual.  Also, the 50/50 rule is found in several European countries...not the U.S.
2018-4-20
Use props
BrilhasMuito
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3745554 ft
Brazil

First of all, WELCOME!!!!!

I've noticed some amazing shots her of buildings cities, roads beaches etc but I'm wondering how you get these as my understanding is you have to be at least 50m away from people to fly? So how do you take off in these public places? Or do you just take off from 50m away and then stay above 50m height around people?!

Just don't be annoying with it most people won't bother. Actually most people will be really curious. I always look for a quieter place to take off so people don't bother me. hahahahhahaha   

Also, I just took my first drone flight! SO much fun! But I tried to take some photos and video but now I cannot find them! Where do they get stored or do you have to save them between each flight?! (I took several short flights as I was practising taking off and landing safely so photos may have been on earlier flights?!)

The photos are in the SD card located in the rear-end (if you have it). Connect the AC to your computer and download the videos and photos. You also can download from the DJI GO app to your phone (just click the photo/video then click download original).   

Thanks in advance!

ps off to Sicily tomorrow so will be taking my spark with me - any tips for best places to practice drone photography in Sicily by anyone whos been?

Sorry I've never been to Sicily.
2018-4-20
Use props
BrilhasMuito
Second Officer
Brazil

2018-4-20
Use props
BrilhasMuito
Second Officer
Brazil

2018-4-20
Use props
BrilhasMuito
Second Officer
Brazil

2018-4-20
Use props
GlobetrotterGP
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Thanks for your help everyone! I got pretty nervous after I'd ordered my drone when someone I know said they knew someone who'd been fined £2k for flying in a public space. Planning to get liability insurance but doubt it would cover these situations as I'm sure they'd say you were disobeying the rules! That said I see so many amazing videos in public spaces I'm keen to get out there myself!
2018-4-20
Use props
Gunship9
Second Officer
United States

GlobetrotterGP Posted at 2018-4-20 14:15
Thanks for your help everyone! I got pretty nervous after I'd ordered my drone when someone I know said they knew someone who'd been fined £2k for flying in a public space. Planning to get liability insurance but doubt it would cover these situations as I'm sure they'd say you were disobeying the rules! That said I see so many amazing videos in public spaces I'm keen to get out there myself!

You can also find photos you have taken in the DJI app.  On the first page at the bottom you will see a film strip icon.  Select it and then albums at the top of the next page.  Then photos or video.  Select the photo you want and then you can save it to the phone's photo album.  You can also select to download the full resolution file while looking at the photo in the DJI Go 4 app.  The drone just has to be on and connected.

That way you can quickly send smaller photos you have taken or the full size photo.  Send them to bored family members as soon as you land, right from the field.

P.S. now I see that KlooGee's video has all of that shown on the video towards the end.
2018-4-20
Use props
Firehawk989
Second Officer
Flight distance : 198904 ft
Canada

I think you're less likely to incur undue attention and fines with the Spark due to it's small size. It can easily be mistaken for a "toy" drone that falls under the 250g weight limit. It's also almost impossible to see and hear if you put it up to the typical max regulated height limit of 90-120m. This introduces some other risks if it encounters interference and enters ATTI mode though. In that case you need to be able to fly it back manually, with some assistance from the video feed and the map view in the app if you're lucky.
2018-4-20
Use props
Rustic17
First Officer
Flight distance : 2733760 ft
United States

You may also find some of the pictures you see were taken before the newest round of drone restrictions.
2018-4-20
Use props
ChrisJG
First Officer
Flight distance : 1725341 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Good question, am a newbie too. Have found that if you are up very early, before the commuters start to arrive for their work, there's usually zero people around. The spring light can be more interesting too. Good luck in Malta, do share your pics / vids on here afterwards please.
2018-4-21
Use props
DMorin
lvl.1
Flight distance : 2073 ft
United States

Hhhmmm...you should check out the rules and laws about Drones in Italy before you pull it out and start flying...have you registered your drone with the FAA...Check out B4UFLY.COM, a publication of the FAA...
2018-4-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules