No Fly Zone Issue
1292 3 2018-4-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
ProvostDrone
lvl.2
Flight distance : 937267 ft
United States

My first issue with the no fly zones in the DJI app.  
I am a licensed 107 pilot.
I retired from Clinton Correctional Facility as an Officer, so I completely understand the security concerns of Drone use around Correctional Facilities, more so than maybe anyone on this forum.  I get it!  
I contacted NYS Dept of Corrections to inform them of my pending flight arund the jail.
I received permission
There is no state law forbidding Drone flights over state Jails or around them.  There are no laws on the books, anywhere.
I was hired by a movie producer to shoot some aerial video.
I just attempted to shoot a particular shot, and could not because the DJI app locked the drone on the ground. Additionally, I had no intent on flying directly over the Facility, just up to it, across the street, still airspace over private property.  Though if I had asked for it, I suspect I would have been given permission to fly over as well.
So, I completely understand the security concerns, but I also feel as though, if there are no laws that deny me the right to fly over the jail, then how does a private company restrict me from doing it, and furthermore, DJI wont even let me fly within 2 streets from the Jail.
Yuneec does not have these restrictions.  Licensed Pilots should not have these restrictions placed upon us.  If i violate the law, then I can lose my license.  I dont need DJI restricting me as well.  This is also an issue here in Plattsburgh NY.  There is no controlled airspace whatsoever, but I need to unlock my app every time I am within a few miles of the airport.  
Keith Provost
Provost Drone Solutions

https://drive.google.com/open?id ... eUQrpNhPL3Jx9m8XjJl
2018-4-20
Use props
dmz0311-68
lvl.1

United States

Welcome to DJI
2018-8-29
Use props
eggbeater
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3502972 ft
  • >>>
United States

Yes, I feel the same way.  A major international corporation took from me something I had before the safe fly update.  Its against the law to "take" something without compensation.  The question is how much is that worth to hire a lawyer for?
2018-11-22
Use props
PortlandProDrones
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1231155 ft
United States

I agree, it is a pain and it's what's in place so is there a way to work around it. Maybe...I had a similar problem in a zone that was locked by DJI and with proper documentation and contacting them, I was able to get a year-long unlock for that area. Now it wasn't a red zone, but you may be able to so. On DJI Geo Zone Map page, it looks like if you can get a written/emailed approval from the NYS Dept of Corrections and then connect with DJI flysafe@dji.com, you may be able to get a similar kind of unlock in place. Also you'll need your remote controller serial # which you can find in General section/About in the Go 4 app. When you contact them, you might also ask if they need anything else from you to authorize the flights and request the year long release.

When I emailed them I had a reply back within 1 hour and they were very responsive. Once I got the approval, they sent me an email and had PDF's for walking me through the process of install the unlock on my remote controller and then syncing it to my drone. The other thing to be aware of is once you get this unlocked area, you have to be sure it is turned off (you do this in the same place you sync it in the Go 4 app) or any place outside that zone will give you a "can't takeoff" warning in the Go 4 app. I learned this from experience.

I don't know if this will work for you, but it's a starting place.
Best of luck.

Chris Anson - Part 107 Certified Remote PIC
Skylum Online Ambassador - Drone Photographer
http://www.portlandprodrones.com/

2019-5-2
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules