Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Ouch
1626 11 2018-4-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Stevieob
lvl.2
Flight distance : 8287 ft
Ireland

Had a little fly today in the Phoenix Park in Dublin, Ireland.
It was my first flight on home soil since I bought my Spark a couple of weeks ago in Dubai.
In the air a couple of times and went for a hand landing for the first time.  I had seen a couple of videos on YouTube with fellas flipping the Spark after they catch them to turn them off.  There is fair aul resistance in it, you kind of have to be firm.
Anyway did it twice, no problem.

Third time it was coming down and as I was about to take hold of it, I obviously had my middle finger outstretched a little to much and stuck it right between one of the rotating blades.  A nice nick in the top of my finger and a good bit of blood drawn.  But it was a powerful impact, made my finger go numb for the best part of 10 minutes or so.

No damage done to the drone or anything thankfully, well I think so at least, battery was dying so I couldn't fly it any more

I'll get over it, but to be honest, I think in future I'll just let it land on the grass.

Anyone with any similar stories?
2018-4-20
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Nasty, is Phoenix Park not a no fly zone ?
2018-4-20
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

The tilt to the side is really for emergency situations and shouldn't be the norm to disarm the motors.
2018-4-20
Use props
Stevieob
lvl.2
Ireland

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-4-20 12:34
Nasty, is Phoenix Park not a no fly zone ?

na, sure there are always lads in there flying their model planes.
I was barely above tree level
2018-4-20
Use props
Stevieob
lvl.2
Ireland

A CW Posted at 2018-4-20 12:57
The tilt to the side is really for emergency situations and shouldn't be the norm to disarm the motors.

ok, so if you land in hand, how do you stop it, or does it just knock itself off after a few seconds?
2018-4-20
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Stevieob Posted at 2018-4-20 15:40
na, sure there are always lads in there flying their model planes.
I was barely above tree level

Phoenix Park is a NFZ for drones as far as I know, it’s simply because of presidents home, you should check this out, also you are In controlled airspace of Dublin Airport surface to 5000 ft, so you really need SOP to fly in this area, I think if model aircraft are flying they are probably under agreement of IAA.
Just giving you a heads up, also you are in danger of your spark being grounded through NFZ.
2018-4-20
Use props
Bergasha
lvl.2
Flight distance : 64232 ft
Australia

Stevieob Posted at 2018-4-20 15:41
ok, so if you land in hand, how do you stop it, or does it just knock itself off after a few seconds?

I have the FN button on the controller set as Takeoff/Land then when I bring the spark in Hover about head height then hit the land button and stick my hand out, Once it lands the props stop.
2018-4-20
Use props
S-e-ven
First Officer
Flight distance : 5922034 ft
  • >>>
Thailand

The important part:
'No damage done to the drone or anything '
The other, bloody stuff, is experience!

Use the flat hand and just your fingertips to hold on to it
2018-4-20
Use props
Gunship9
lvl.4
United States

Flat of your hand and just hold the throttle down to land it.  It shuts off automatically.  Or, gesture mode so it recognizes the hand under it and it will come down and hand land on its own.

At 2:07 in this video (gesture mode not really needed but I didn't know that):
2018-4-20
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

If you use hand land within the gestures it will auto disarm upon landing in your palm. If you land on the ground manually then keep the left stick (in mode 2) down for 2 or 3 seconds and it will also disarm.
2018-4-20
Use props
NedUK
lvl.3
Flight distance : 555262 ft
United Kingdom

When you get it over your hand and pull down on the stick if you grab it straight away it will resist,

Use an open hand and let it settle itself into your palm
2018-4-20
Use props
Stevieob
lvl.2
Ireland

cheers guys
learnt something there
2018-4-23
Use props
Advanced