Do you find birds are aggressive towards your drone?
5546 39 2018-4-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Danger Lampost
lvl.4

United States

Something I've been really noticing, is that some birds - especially hawks and seagulls - seem to be especially aggressive towards my drone (Mavic Air). Many seagulls head towards my drone but swerve away at the last moment, and I've found hawks dive bombing (or "stoop" - the technical term for a bird of prey in a dive bomb) my drone. So far I've avoided any serious problems because I've moved away from these birds as soon as I can see them. I worry I'm getting a bit too scared about this though. Is this a real issue?

My question for you: Do you find some birds being aggressive towards your drone? What kind of birds? How do you respond? Has your drone been taken out by a bird?
2018-4-20
Use props
Virgil Quick
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1074104 ft
United States

I am having trouble with crows;  they hate my MPP.  Sometime they dive toward it in an aggressive manner and voice loud caws.   So far I have been able to just ignore them and continue flying but it is distracting.
2018-4-20
Use props
SparksBird
First Officer
Flight distance : 10731690 ft
United States

They seem to avoid my bird.  
2018-4-20
Use props
Suren
Captain
Flight distance : 13425892 ft
  • >>>
South Africa

SparksBird Posted at 2018-4-20 18:26
They seem to avoid my bird.  [view_image]

Cause you look like a dangerous Eagle coming towards them
2018-4-20
Use props
Lok Mavic
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1486660 ft
Malaysia

Yeah, especially seagulls. I think they hate the buzzing noise came from our drones.
2018-4-20
Use props
4WDaus
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1187257 ft
Australia

Not yet, but I generally land if they are close by
2018-4-20
Use props
Monkey007
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 73775046 ft
  • >>>
Australia

They seem to be curious rather than aggressive, otherwise with the bigger birds' speed and agility, I DO NOT believe any camera drone including the Inspire2 can get away no matter what the pilots try.
2018-4-20
Use props
M2Wair
First Officer
Flight distance : 1192231 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Monkey007 Posted at 2018-4-20 23:23
They seem to be curious rather than aggressive, otherwise with the bigger birds' speed and agility, I DO NOT believe any camera drone including the Inspire2 can get away no matter what the pilots try.

Ascend at full speed, no bird can fly upwards after any drone. Sure they can gain height by circling but by then your drone is out of harms way and away.
2018-4-20
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13877205 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

The spark (when I owned it) yep but not the others.
2018-4-20
Use props
Lamplighter55
Second Officer
Flight distance : 538596 ft
United Kingdom

Most birds will fly away from a drone - only ones that register that the drone is invading their space (hunting grounds etc.) will try and scare the drone away. Larger raptors - eagles, vultures etc may try and physically attack a drone if they register a threat - either invading their hunting space or if they have an occupied nest in the area. Best to be aware of the wildlife in your area and the seasonal needs of wildlife too. So basically don't be stupid and get too close to any wildlife in the breading season - and be aware that prey birds are territorial and have more of a right to be there than our drones do! Likewise always be situation aware when setting up to fly and when actually flying of what animals are near by - horses can bolt with and without a rider - being herd/prey creatures they will run first especially if something buzzing is descending from above. Same way we would if a giant wasp dropped out of the sky!
2018-4-21
Use props
Gregbella
First Officer

Does that really work SparksBird .I have to really keep an eye out for the birds where l live
2018-4-21
Use props
Bulldog
lvl.4
Flight distance : 816158 ft
United States

I have at least 20 birds fly at my drone per flight. Mainly little finches. It happens more often when I hug the tree lines. Must be protecting the nests. I have never had one make contact with the drone before. The red tail hawks circle it, and I am sure would attack if felt threatened. I give them a wide birth. The turkey vultures get all worked up and call out their buddies. I often have 5 turkey vultures circling my drone when they can keep up. They never approach, but circle.

Long story short, birds are not an issue. IMO
2018-4-21
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Bulldog Posted at 2018-4-21 05:16
I have at least 20 birds fly at my drone per flight. Mainly little finches. It happens more often when I hug the tree lines. Must be protecting the nests. I have never had one make contact with the drone before. The red tail hawks circle it, and I am sure would attack if felt threatened. I give them a wide birth. The turkey vultures get all worked up and call out their buddies. I often have 5 turkey vultures circling my drone when they can keep up. They never approach, but circle.

Long story short, birds are not an issue. IMO

“ I have more than 20 birds fly at my drone each flight “
“Long story short birds are not a problem”

This is a contradiction in terms.....
2018-4-21
Use props
SparksBird
First Officer
United States

Gregbella Posted at 2018-4-21 03:23
Does that really work SparksBird .I have to really keep an eye out for the birds where l live

To be honest I am not sure.  It has only been newly installed the last couple weeks and have not had much hawk encounters which we have tons around here.  I know even before I had it on though they typically would stay away would never move towards it.  I honestly doubt they would see it as an eagle or bird of prey because of the face though lol.  I think regardless of the decals they would fly towards it if felt threatened.  And hoping I do not have to deal with that.

We have a lot of wild animals like rabbits, birds, grouse, etc that my wife feed in the backyard so naturally that brings about the predators to include hawks.  A couple times she has called upon me when some were awfully close and scoping out the animals in the back yard.  I took out the drone and would fly in the area they were and they would take off at that point, I have only done this twice, and know it is not a good idea but wanted the wife happy lol.  this was even before I had the sticker on.  So anytime I had gotten close to the circling hawks they would fly away but not saying that would happen everytime.
2018-4-21
Use props
Bulldog
lvl.4
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-4-21 05:31
“ I have more than 20 birds fly at my drone each flight “
“Long story short birds are not a problem”

You can't figure out that birds "fly at my drone"

and "birds are not a problem" are not a contradiction?

If I had said, bird "hit my drone" you could have a point......

Try better reading comprehension... I know its really hard for you........ Really, really hard.......

2018-4-23
Use props
Bulldog
lvl.4
United States

M2Wair Posted at 2018-4-20 23:34
Ascend at full speed, no bird can fly upwards after any drone. Sure they can gain height by circling but by then your drone is out of harms way and away.

Ever heard of a humming bird.......... Or any bird during take off?

Your post is just silly. lol.
2018-4-23
Use props
M2Wair
First Officer
  • >>>
Ireland

Bulldog Posted at 2018-4-23 05:02

Birds can't fly vertically,  especially after a drone so jog on like a good boy.
2018-4-23
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>
United States

Most birds are territorial and will dive bomb and attack drones. I haven’t had any issues but have heard stories..
2018-4-23
Use props
M2Wair
First Officer
  • >>>
Ireland

Woe Posted at 2018-4-23 05:35
Most birds are territorial and will dive bomb and attack drones. I haven’t had any issues but have heard stories..

In nesting season most birds get very aggressive and do sometimes attack/swarm drones for sure.  The only avoiding action you can take is to ascend full speed and high tail it out of there once clear. Crows and seagulls are the worst offenders I have found, but hawks so far have had a look and carried on without too much thought on making a drone a meal, I still wouldn't hang around long enough to tempt it. Lately I have had more issues with Swallows and Swifts swarming around the drone than any other bird.
2018-4-23
Use props
Bulldog
lvl.4
United States

M2Wair Posted at 2018-4-23 05:12
Birds can't fly vertically,  especially after a drone so jog on like a good boy.

Wrong again. Do you have to try this hard, to be inaccurate all the time? Do you realize there is a service called Google search?

Hummingbirds are incredible flyers, with the ruby-throated hummingbird beating its wings 80 times every second, an ability that inspired this blog's name. These tiny birds can fly forwards, hover, and are the only known birds to fly backwards as well.Sep 28, 2012
Watch This: Hummingbirds Fly Forwards and Backwards With Equal ...
blogs.discovermagazine.com/.../watch-this-hummingbirds-fly-forwards-and-backwards-...
Or just watch for yourself......

Btw, hummingbirds fly over 30 mph. So yea, it can fly vertically and faster than your drone..... lol
2018-4-23
Use props
M2Wair
First Officer
  • >>>
Ireland

Bulldog Posted at 2018-4-23 06:04
Wrong again. Do you have to try this hard, to be inaccurate all the time? Do you realize there is a service called Google search?

Hummingbirds are incredible flyers, with the ruby-throated hummingbird beating its wings 80 times every second, an ability that inspired this blog's name. These tiny birds can fly forwards, hover, and are the only known birds to fly backwards as well.Sep 28, 2012

You really do take the biscuit don't you, a 2'' bird attacking a drone 10 times it's size, like I said jog on.
2018-4-23
Use props
Bulldog
lvl.4
United States

Grasping at straws once again. Stop pretending like you didn't make a retarded comment and got called out for it. lol.
2018-4-23
Use props
ghostrdr
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1272723 ft
United States

Bulldoggie off his meds again!
2018-4-23
Use props
M2Wair
First Officer
  • >>>
Ireland

ghostrdr Posted at 2018-4-23 06:15
Bulldoggie off his meds again!

I was just wondering if he was born an idiot or did it just come naturally. Going to completely ignore the fool and let him talk to himself in future.
2018-4-23
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

M2Wair Posted at 2018-4-23 05:56
In nesting season most birds get very aggressive and do sometimes attack/swarm drones for sure.  The only avoiding action you can take is to ascend full speed and high tail it out of there once clear. Crows and seagulls are the worst offenders I have found, but hawks so far have had a look and carried on without too much thought on making a drone a meal, I still wouldn't hang around long enough to tempt it. Lately I have had more issues with Swallows and Swifts swarming around the drone than any other bird.

I remember watching a video from a credible drone enthusiast and professional photographer with a YT channel named 'photo shop cafe' - he took his Spark to a spot where he does most if his test flights and a gull swooped down and took the Spark out crashing it into the sea.
These things do happen for sure.
There were three hawks hovering over head when I flew my MPP yesterday but they kept their distance (as did I) - you do need to be very careful flying around birds and you are correct that birds large enough to have a propensity to attack a drone (typically larger than a thumb nail) will not fly vertically due to their wing spans so the best evasive manoeuvre is to fly straight up in a fast ascent above the bird and not to descend which is typically the natural thing pilots tend to do.
2018-4-23
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

One was kind enough to pose for me
2018-4-23
Use props
M2Wair
First Officer
  • >>>
Ireland

Wow fabulous capture there. Really dramatic skies and looks like a blizzard. Big birds
2018-4-23
Use props
toddster
lvl.2
Flight distance : 8117 ft
United States

Almost every time, so far.  Last time it was turkey vultures.  Today it was red-tailed hawks.  I got so worried trying to avoid them, I forgot to take pictures.  D'Oh!
2018-4-30
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

Bulldog Posted at 2018-4-23 05:02

When I lived in CA, I had one humming bird that was very friendly.  
That same humming bird could also be a nuisance when you were refilling the humming bird feeder.
2018-4-30
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

SparksBird Posted at 2018-4-20 18:26
They seem to avoid my bird.  [view_image]

On serious note.  I wonder if fake eyes on your drone are scarring away other birds?
They make fake owls with wobbling heads that have more realistic eyes and same with fake snakes for scarring away birds.

Now wondering if those who are encountering aggressive birds might try gluing on a set of realistic looking fake bird eyes on their drone?
2018-5-1
Use props
AlansDronePics
First Officer
Flight distance : 814751 ft
Guernsey

My only emergency plan is to climb a bit and go hard backwards. After that, I know I am stuffed if they aren't impressed and persist.
2018-5-1
Use props
AlansDronePics
First Officer
Flight distance : 814751 ft
Guernsey

My only emergency plan is to climb a bit and go hard backwards. After that, I know I am stuffed if they aren't impressed and persist.
2018-5-1
Use props
SparksBird
First Officer
United States

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2018-5-1 11:40
On serious note.  I wonder if fake eyes on your drone are scarring away other birds?
They make fake owls with wobbling heads that have more realistic eyes and same with fake snakes for scarring away birds.

You do have a point.  Like I said they seem to stay away.  Have never had one even approach.  And there is quite a bit of hawks here where I live.  
2018-5-1
Use props
SparksBird
First Officer
United States

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2018-5-1 11:40
On serious note.  I wonder if fake eyes on your drone are scarring away other birds?

You know what else I realized here is that the only other drone myself and wife fly is a MJX Bugs b2w and that also has a set of fake eyes and same with that one it has been around some hawks and never once has one ever tried to approach.  Very interesting.  I even flew up close to a pair of circling hawks and they flew away pretty fast.  
2018-5-1
Use props
Rob Krueger
New

United States

I just got started in the world of drones (Mavic Air). I love it but I have found that Hummingbirds HATE it. I'm worried one will hit it and get hurt and also hurt my drone. No idea how to avoid this because they are everywhere in AZ.
2019-11-14
Use props
hi dive
lvl.1
Flight distance : 136650 ft
Japan

in hawaii, that is a big yah. most kinds are not fans. in one neighborhood, i was going for sunset, and it brought out most of the parrots in the neighborhood (an invasive species here).
2019-11-15
Use props
hi dive
lvl.1
Flight distance : 136650 ft
Japan

Also not sure what would happen if you unintentionally kill an endangered bird that attacks your drone near a park in hawaii. But i could imagine it would be horrible all around. Pretty sure its the insect noise of the props, since i dont see many birds attack balloons in the sky...
2019-11-15
Use props
raven swe
Second Officer
Flight distance : 517936 ft
Sweden

2019-11-15
Use props
TrippleDelta
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2228182 ft
Belgium

Sometimes they come really close

2019-11-15
Use props
Picanoc Jack
First Officer
Flight distance : 10321657 ft
Canada

Bald eagles will chase and attack the drone,  like every thing else the most dangerous time is nesting birds.
2019-11-15
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules