Inside the Inferno - P4P and a whole lot of fire!!!
874 11 2018-4-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Shoot It WA
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3576476 ft
Australia

Hi guys!

I recently had the rare opportunity to work with my local fire brigade to capture a prescribed burn off!
Normally bush fires are a no go for drones and have caused issues for firefighting aircraft previously, but seeing as this was a "controlled burn" I thought I'd approach the incident controller and see if they would allow the flight.
The fireys were really keen to see the drone in use and quickly realised the potential uses of this technology in bushfire management and training. It even made it to the local news.

Check out the video below

2018-4-21
Use props
ALABAMA
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10442687 ft
United States

Pretty neat!  Not often you can get shots like that.
2018-4-21
Use props
Hurley1718
Second Officer
Flight distance : 549295 ft
  • >>>
United States

Second that notion. Rare to get this footage and great shooting. Were you nervous at all going above the flames?
2018-4-21
Use props
Shoot It WA
lvl.4
Australia

Hurley1718 Posted at 2018-4-21 16:10
Second that notion. Rare to get this footage and great shooting. Were you nervous at all going above the flames?

The smoke was causing some signal loss issues and there was some big up draughts rom the flames that knocked the drone around a bit. I was probably more worried about ash clogging up the motors.
2018-4-21
Use props
Hurley1718
Second Officer
Flight distance : 549295 ft
  • >>>
United States

Shoot It WA Posted at 2018-4-21 16:17
The smoke was causing some signal loss issues and there was some big up draughts rom the flames that knocked the drone around a bit. I was probably more worried about ash clogging up the motors.

Oh yeah, didn't think about all the ash. That would not be good either.
2018-4-21
Use props
Jenee 2
Second Officer
Flight distance : 7852129 ft

One of the dangers to a drone from a bushfire is wind and embers. It does not look like the wind was too strong in this fire but you always need to stay upwind. Unfortunately, if the wind gets too strong, which can happen because of the fire, then the drone can get sucked towards the fire.
2018-4-21
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
Flight distance : 6188465 ft
  • >>>

That's pretty striking footage.  A stark reminder to us of how these fires can quickly spread. I trust the drone survived the toasting from the updrafts and smoke inhalation?    Thanks for the share.
2018-4-21
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Great footage   
2018-4-22
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

Please be careful if you want to fly in this situation. Please do not risk your drone if you only try to shoot a fire.
2018-4-22
Use props
sky wombat
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1454078 ft
  • >>>

Be a good tool to have in the box. Would definitely like to have one for 1st response. Was live feed any use for IC?
2018-4-22
Use props
Shoot It WA
lvl.4
Australia

sky wombat Posted at 2018-4-22 04:42
Be a good tool to have in the box. Would definitely like to have one for 1st response. Was live feed any use for IC?

It was only a very small area they were burning but they definitely got a better over all situational appreciation from the live feed. Would be a great tool for a quick assessment for first responders in an actual emergency allowing for better coordination of resorces.
2018-4-22
Use props
Shoot It WA
lvl.4
Australia

DJI Elektra Posted at 2018-4-22 02:09
Please be careful if you want to fly in this situation. Please do not risk your drone if you only try to shoot a fire.

Definitely!
2018-4-27
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules