Lost my Spark
43175 15 2018-4-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
xtremeflyer
lvl.2
Flight distance : 893963 ft
United Kingdom

My Spark dissappeared while it was being flown, these are the warnings that came up:
Aircraft GPS signal too weak. Home Point not updated.
Warning: Weak GPS signal. Positional accuracy may be compromised. Please fly with caution.
Warning: In-flight, working IMU encounters heading exception, please switch to atti mode if craft behaves abnormally.
Warning: Compass Error. Exit P-GPS Mode.

By the time all these warnings appeared on the screen there is was no time to act and the remote was disconnected from the drone and gone.
DJI please advise what I can do. I have checked my flight record that shows it moved away from the home point and returned then disconnected and dissapeared. I check the Find My Drone on the app and it shows the location as the home point, but it did not return to that point.
2018-4-22
Use props
msinger
Captain
Flight distance : 228255 ft
  • >>>
United States

If you'd like other forum members to review and comment on your flight log, then please upload the TXT flight log file here and post the link back here.
2018-4-22
Use props
xtremeflyer
lvl.2

msinger Posted at 2018-4-22 11:17
If you'd like other forum members to review and comment on your flight log, then please upload the TXT flight log file here and post the link back here.

I have done it, please advise if you have the data, thank you
2018-4-22
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

xtremeflyer Posted at 2018-4-22 22:49

In you case, please contact our support and start a case: http://www.dji.com/support  If you have doubt in this accident, you can provide flight records to our support for analysis.
2018-4-23
Use props
msinger
Captain
  • >>>
United States

xtremeflyer Posted at 2018-4-22 22:49

We'll only be able to find the link if you copy and paste it back here after uploading the TXT file.
2018-4-23
Use props
msinger
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Here's what your flight log shows:

• You took off in a location that was near a building (see the photo below), potentially metal in the ground (I see some nearby manhole covers), and/or near parked cars.

Location1.jpg
  • After taking off, you ascended to 1,640 feet straight up over top of the takeoff point. When standing directly below the Spark, the remote controller signal is not as strong. This becomes even more of an issue when flying at great altitudes directly over top of the location where you're standing.

Here's a shot you took a few seconds after taking off:

dddd1.jpg
  • The wind was very strong. It was causing your Spark to drift slowly at some points even while it was using the GPS to hold its horizontal position. The DJI GO app displayed a "High Wind Velocity:Fly with caution and ensure the aircraft remains within your line of sight" message to notify you of this potentially dangerous situation.

• While hovering in place at 1,640 feet, the Spark auto switched to ATTI mode due to a compass error. That was likely caused by powering up your Spark and/or taking off near a magnetic metal object.

• Once in ATTI mode, the Spark was no longer using the GPS to hold its horizontal position. It started drifting away with the wind at speeds between 30 to 48 MPH. You made no attempt to steer the Spark back toward you.

• The remote controller signal disconnected and the Spark continued to drift away. I'm assuming the building you were standing next to blocked the line of sight between the remote controller and Spark (which would have broken that connection).

Here's where you were standing when the flight log stopped logging data:

Location2.jpg

Since your Spark was flying in ATTI mode when the remote controller signal disconnected, it would not have been able to return to the home point. Instead, it would have started auto landing 3 seconds after the remote controller signal disconnected. Unfortunately, it was flying at a high altitude and drifitng at an average speed of about 42 MPH. The flight log shows it would have taken the Spark about 200 seconds to land. That means it would have covered quite a bit of ground before it was able to land.

Assuming the wind continued to blow at a similar speed and direction, I'm estimating your Spark landing somewhere in box #1 here:

Location3.jpg

Location4.png

If you don't find it in box #1, then search the #2 area below that. I realize this is going to be quite the task to search this large location, but that's what you're going to have to do in order to track down your Spark.

2018-4-23
Use props
xtremeflyer
lvl.2

I opened a case with DJI Support and they reviewed my flight data but with a completely different result to the above suggesting I was to near to a drain etc etc etc and its my fault this happened.
Dji said it was a Warranty Claim and they sent me a 100% off coupon to buy a new Spark on there website which I did, I even got a free 16Gb SD Card and free Remote Controller with it. I have not found my old Spark but will be out with the new Spark using it to search the vast expanse as suggested above. Not hold out though as its been missing for ages and its been raining loads in this area so I am assuming if I do find it its not going to work.
2018-5-10
Use props
Duncdude
lvl.2
Flight distance : 18491 ft
United Kingdom

Happy conclusion to a bad trip then.
Hats off to Msinger for the comprehensive review and analysis of your flight log. Great bit of support there!
2018-5-10
Use props
xtremeflyer
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Can I just clarify that msinger was completely wrong in there analysis of my flight logs, Dji reviewed them and came up with a totally different conclusion hence a replaced at no charge. msinger was trying to blame for being to close to a drain which was in the photo suggesting it was entirely my fault I lost it.
2018-12-24
Use props
Alex B.
Second Officer
Flight distance : 21105262 ft

Spain

1640 feet up??? Don’t you know there is a limit?
Enjoy your new spark and don’t lose this one!

Fly safely
Alex
2018-12-24
Use props
Daniella3d
lvl.4
Canada

Alex B. Posted at 12-24 01:57
1640 feet up??? Don’t you know there is a limit?
Enjoy your new spark and don’t lose this one!

That's what I was wondering, that's near 500m and the law here in Canada specify no more than 90 meters, not sure about other countries. What happen if it is in ATTI mode, will it rise more than that if I have set my limit to 90 meters and it goes into ATTI? Would it keep its altitude or rise like a soaring bird?
2018-12-24
Use props
Alex B.
Second Officer
Flight distance : 21105262 ft

Spain

Daniella3d Posted at 12-24 04:20
That's what I was wondering, that's near 500m and the law here in Canada specify no more than 90 meters, not sure about other countries. What happen if it is in ATTI mode, will it rise more than that if I have set my limit to 90 meters and it goes into ATTI? Would it keep its altitude or rise like a soaring bird?

I think it shouldn’t go above the set altitude, no matter atti or not.
It’s 120 meters top altitude by the way. In most Europe and in Uk!

Fly safely
Alex
2018-12-24
Use props
Wayne De Jongh
New

South Africa

Santa please send me a new one. I lost my spark.
2018-12-25
Use props
Aishiki
lvl.1

Australia

I thought the MAX altitude would be 120metres, how did it ascended to 500metres?
2018-12-27
Use props
gmozo
lvl.4
United States

have you updated your dji app? and did you calibrate the compass
2018-12-27
Use props
msinger
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Aishiki Posted at 12-27 18:17
I thought the MAX altitude would be 120metres, how did it ascended to 500metres?

The max possible altitude is 500 meters. You can increase the max altitude setting in DJI GO.
2018-12-28
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules