1964 17 2015-5-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
alansworld
lvl.4
Flight distance : 27434 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Whose very very silly idea was it to have every post you look at open in a new tab??

After 5 minutes of reading posts I have about 25 tabs open, and the usual and expected Back, after reading a post, does nothing.

Come on guys, this is very silly and, indeed, very unusual behavious in a forum.
2015-5-9
Use props
Flyguy51
lvl.1

United States

I agree. Whooo did it?  Put it back.
2015-5-9
Use props
gil
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1379308 ft
United States

Really?  Heck, I didn't even notice.  When I had a much slower internet connection I would always open each post in a new tab and just close after reading because going back to the main page it would have to  s l o w l y  reload.  Now I have a fiber connection and still do it out of habit.  

However, I do so greatly wish they would reduce the size of the text to something closer to what they had before all the "improvements".  I have to reduce my screen size to 75% or it looks like the LARGE TEXT EDITION of books they have at the Library for people with diminished eyesight.  (Yes, I am getting up there in years but dagnabit! I don't need DJI to remind me the end is getting closer and closer!)
2015-5-9
Use props
CapitAn
lvl.4
  • >>>
Canada

God, then l must be ancient and blind because l find the text "normal". l like it, l don't have to squint
2015-5-9
Use props
PhantomAtAK
lvl.2

United States

I was having the same issue.  I had long ago unchecked the "open link in new tab" box (see my screen grab in my link below), but still got a new tab every time.  Today after reading your post, I tried toggling the setting, and now when I click on forum post, it does not open a new tab, but uses the same, enabling the back button.  

1) I placed a check in the box, then opened a new link.  It opened in a new tab.

2) I "unchecked" the "open.....", then visited a new link, now it behaves properly, opens in the saame tab, and allows the back button.  No more tab growth

Your post is old, but I though I would share my find with you since I am just now futzing with the setting and finding illogical (but desireable)  results.

http://screencast.com/t/UfakVhWgg5

Let me know if this helps, or if you had already solved this silly irritating issue.

EDIT:  Links are still screwed up.  Here is a pic, vs a link:

No tabs

No tabs

2015-6-30
Use props
gregg1r
lvl.4

United States

If you have the box checked to open in a new page, then yes, you will get a new page for every link, with one exception. On topics that have multiple pages and you select say page 3, even with the box checked to open to a new page, it won't.

I also open to a new page and just close after reading. Not a big deal and faster than allowing for a return page refresh.
2015-6-30
Use props
aburkefl
lvl.4
Flight distance : 78612 ft
United States

CapitAn Posted at 2015-5-10 01:27
God, then l must be ancient and blind because l find the text "normal". l like it, l don't have to s ...

I don't find it opening a new tab every time either. After I've read a post, I just click on the "back arrow" in the upper left - keeps me in the same tab.
2015-6-30
Use props
jhall651
lvl.3

United States

Is this an android thing?  Doesn't happen on my iPhone
2015-6-30
Use props
PhantomAtAK
lvl.2

United States

gregg1r Posted at 2015-7-1 08:31
If you have the box checked to open in a new page, then yes, you will get a new page for every link, ...

Regardless of whether the box is checked, I get tab growth unless I toggle the check box on, then off (every new visit (Google Chrome)):

If tab growth is undesirable:

Upon entering forum, toggle the "open in new......", adding a check box, then removing.  Once removed, all you link visits will remain in the same tab.

If tab growth is not bothersome, no action is required.

2015-6-30
Use props
Mikey14
lvl.3

United States

Click the post topic and you shouldn't get a new window but if you click the posters picture or name then it will open a new window.
2015-6-30
Use props
gregg1r
lvl.4

United States

PhantomAtAK Posted at 2015-7-1 11:02
Regardless of whether the box is checked, I get tab growth unless I toggle the check box on, then  ...

I don't do Google. :@

FF v38 displays check the box in upper left corner. For multiple page posts, once you open up any other page than one you have to use the back button.
2015-6-30
Use props
PhantomAtAK
lvl.2

United States

gregg1r Posted at 2015-7-1 11:23
I don't do Google.

FF v38 displays check the box in upper left corner. For multiple page posts ...

I drank Google-aid long ago - now I can't quit it.  I think I have satisfied my desire to try and fix SOMETHING/ANYTHING tonight.  Thanks for playing.
2015-6-30
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Not on my iPad 3, I just tap the <, returning me to Home page.

RedHotPoker
2015-9-12
Use props
Rigworker
lvl.4
Flight distance : 52303 ft
Canada

RedHotPoker Posted at 2015-9-12 20:19
Not on my iPad 3, I just tap the

VERY OLD thread Red. Not an issue any more
2015-9-12
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Hey man, yeah. & That's funny!!  I was obviously riding a Time Machine.
Some how, I was lost in the Feedbacks section, and didn't realize my mistake.

So glad I found my way back to present time. ;-)

RedHotPoker
2015-9-12
Use props
ag0n
Second Officer
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

I don't get a new tab on mine unless I click on a link within a post.  I click on a thread, read through it, hit the back button and go to the next one.  No new tabs.  As for linking to new tab on following a link, I wish all forums did that so you could always go back where you were without reloading everything.  This aspect of this forum is one of the few things that seems correct.  We need to be able to subscribe to threads and ignore threads.
2015-9-12
Use props
DreamingWatchma
lvl.2

Austria

gil Posted at 2015-5-9 19:06
Really?  Heck, I didn't even notice.  When I had a much slower internet connection I would always op ...

You know you can reduce/increase the size of the text in most browser by just hitting "Ctrl +" and "Ctrl -"?
2015-9-13
Use props
Phuglie
lvl.4
Flight distance : 45226 ft
United Kingdom

Google Chrome doesn't have this behaviour - which browser are you using and have you looked into changing settings to remedy your gripe?
2015-9-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules