Help - P4P Treating all Locations as a No Fly Zone - "Cannot take...
2741 21 2018-4-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
SkyLadderDrones
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1688045 ft

I was in open airpace yesterday trying to take video of the wildflowers and I kept getting a "Cannot take off" error.  I had 9+ satelites in the field... but couldn't take off from multiple unrestricted locations.

Locations ware Lebec, CA, Grapevine, CA & Northridge, CA... and it gave me the same "Cannot take off" message in every location.

To the best of my knowledge, I have the latest updates DJI updates:
App: 4.2.12
Aircraft:  01.05.0600
Precise Fly Safe Database:  01.00.01.09
Basic FLy Safe Database:  01.00.01.07

Any help would be really appreciated!
Steven

2018-4-23
Use props
Eric13
Second Officer
Flight distance : 13982031 ft
  • >>>

Hi Steven,
the same update versions show on my system.
Northridge would be a question of its own due to Van Nuys airport but Lebec and Grapevine I can't understand.

I was flying in that 'neighborhood' 10 days ago:
Three Points (south of Neenach) and Castaic, both locations right on the edge of Los Angeles National Forest.
No problems...

2018-4-23
Use props
ROKI
lvl.3

Croatia

what is the message obstacle sensing will be disabled when aircraft is landing fly with caution ?
2018-4-23
Use props
SkyLadderDrones
lvl.2

Eric13 Posted at 2018-4-23 11:44
Hi Steven,
the same update versions show on my system.
Northridge would be a question of its own due to Van Nuys airport but Lebec and Grapevine I can't understand.

Eric13 - Thank you for verifying the same update versions... And your approval to fly.

Yes, I've tried everything... even unlock on the DJI Fly Safe website (but there is nothing to "unlock" in the area.)  It is almost like my drone has been "locked down" by DJI.

Regards,
Steven
2018-4-23
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

SkyLadderDrones Posted at 2018-4-23 12:41
Eric13 - Thank you for verifying the same update versions... And your approval to fly.

Yes, I've tried everything... even unlock on the DJI Fly Safe website (but there is nothing to "unlock" in the area.)  It is almost like my drone has been "locked down" by DJI.

If you were inside a no fly zone, it would tell you so in the mesaage. Just saying 'cannot take off' suggests it is a different problem altogether. Try some test and pay close attention to the screen, there will be a clue there somewhere. Do you have enough satellites etc.
2018-4-23
Use props
SkyLadderDrones
lvl.2

Hello All -- I reloaded the latest update by connecting to my computer and DJI Assistant 2... and it seemed to "unlock" the permanent lock.  I tested here at my house but I have a airspace authorization so that could just be clearing this location.  I'm going to go to some unrestricted airspace later this week and give it a test.  But, any other suggestions (especially when I'm in the field on jobs) would be great.  Steven
2018-4-23
Use props
SkyLadderDrones
lvl.2

Geebax Posted at 2018-4-23 15:58
If you were inside a no fly zone, it would tell you so in the mesaage. Just saying 'cannot take off' suggests it is a different problem altogether. Try some test and pay close attention to the screen, there will be a clue there somewhere. Do you have enough satellites etc.

Hi Geebox... thanks for the reply.  No more information on the screen -- even when I tried to take off it just said restricted airspace, no fly zone (which made it strange.) I checked Airmaps -- no TFR or something weird.  Yes, I had enough satellites.  I was thinking since I was on the edge of a State Park, but that theory was broken when I drove to Grapevine, CA which is in the middle of NOWHERE!!!  I almost felt like the GPS wasn't communicating with the No-Fly Zones.  The GPS showed me correctly on my iPad, with no airspace issues, but just wouldn't let me take off.  See my latest post... I reloaded the firmware directly from my PC and it seems to be acting "normal" here at home.... I'll keep everyone posted.  
2018-4-23
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Hey Steven, please kindly offer the screenshot as well if the message pops again, we'd like to check the exact status.
2018-4-23
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

ROKI Posted at 2018-4-23 11:46
what is the message obstacle sensing will be disabled when aircraft is landing fly with caution ?

ROKI, I've read your new post and responded as well, please check later: https://forum.dji.com/thread-145371-1-1.html
2018-4-23
Use props
SkyLadderDrones
lvl.2

DJI Susan Posted at 2018-4-23 22:17
Hey Steven, please kindly offer the screenshot as well if the message pops again, we'd like to check the exact status.

Hi Susan... yes, I will. I was so busy rebooting, troubleshooting and being frustrated that I did not think about taking a screen shot.  I'm going to go out today an do a test and will post if I have the issue.

One follow-up question -- if the P4P drone gets ZERO satellites could that cause this issue?
2018-4-25
Use props
Eric13
Second Officer
Flight distance : 13982031 ft
  • >>>

SkyLadderDrones Posted at 2018-4-25 06:21
Hi Susan... yes, I will. I was so busy rebooting, troubleshooting and being frustrated that I did not think about taking a screen shot.  I'm going to go out today an do a test and will post if I have the issue.

One follow-up question -- if the P4P drone gets ZERO satellites could that cause this issue?

if the P4P drone gets ZERO satellites could that cause this issue?

The Phantom can take off/fly without having any GPS signal. You can see that at YT where some idiots
cover the top of the drone in order to block satellites and take off in no-fly zones.
I fly sometimes at home indoor while the app shows no satellites...
2018-4-25
Use props
KedDK
First Officer
Flight distance : 1133038 ft
Denmark

Do you have any active unlocks that might be the cause.
I have not experienced this myself but i have seen post from users with a active unlock for a specific zone and had no trouble flying inside the zone but could not leave the zone until the unlock was deactivated. likewise the other way, while unlock was active thay could not take off outside the zone with the aim to fly into it. Not sure what messages showed up during those issues.
2018-4-25
Use props
Genghis9
First Officer
Flight distance : 961 ft
United States

SkyLadderDrones Posted at 2018-4-25 06:21

Last first, yes it will fly without sats...however, it will be ATTI mode in doing so and RTH etc. will not work.  Not the best of all worlds in doing so, but it is very possible.

You can go into the status pages of the GO 4 app and review your past warnings and they are listed by date.  So even if you did not get a screen shot those warnings should be listed.
Best of Luck
2018-4-25
Use props
SkyLadderDrones
lvl.2

KedDK Posted at 2018-4-25 12:59
Do you have any active unlocks that might be the cause.
I have not experienced this myself but i have seen post from users with a active unlock for a specific zone and had no trouble flying inside the zone but could not leave the zone until the unlock was deactivated. likewise the other way, while unlock was active thay could not take off outside the zone with the aim to fly into it. Not sure what messages showed up during those issues.

Hi KedDK -- Thank you for the post.  I do have 2 active unlocked zones which are nowhere near this location... but, something definitely "locked me up" last weekend.  

See new post for how I resolved the issue... but I'm concerned it will jump back at me again (hopefully not when I'm doing a job.)

Again, thank you,
Steven
2018-4-25
Use props
SkyLadderDrones
lvl.2

Hello all -- first, thank you for taking the time to read my post and respond with your thoughts.  

So, I'm going to declare this post closed -- I drove to Class G airspace this afternoon and I am getting the all clear green "Ready to fly."  

The way I resolved it was to reload my drone's firmware by plugging it into my PC and using DJI Assistant 3 to reload the firmware. It was exactly the same version, but after I did it, everything was active the way it should.  For some reason my P4P didn't want me to take beautiful video of California wildflowers last weekend... so it won the battle, but hopefully I'm going to win the war.

If/when something like this happens again, I will remember to take some screenshots -- especially since nothing logged in the "Warnings" section in the Go 4 App.

I hope this is helpful to others.
Steven
2018-4-25
Use props
SkyLadderDrones
lvl.2

Genghis9 Posted at 2018-4-25 13:26
Last first, yes it will fly without sats...however, it will be ATTI mode in doing so and RTH etc. will not work.  Not the best of all worlds in doing so, but it is very possible.

You can go into the status pages of the GO 4 app and review your past warnings and they are listed by date.  So even if you did not get a screen shot those warnings should be listed.

Thanks Genghis9 -- Based on my memory, I had plenty of satellites (9+.)  I was in a clear area -- and it is the first thing I checked.  The funny thing is it did NOT give me any warnings and no warnings were logged in the Go 4 App under "past warnings."  Again, I think it was some type of glitch.  Nor did it give me ATTI mode option.

During my test today even basic warnings were logged in the Warnings log (so thank you for pointing it out -- I never knew that was even there.)

Thank you for your help,
Steven

2018-4-25
Use props
Genghis9
First Officer
Flight distance : 961 ft
United States

SkyLadderDrones Posted at 2018-4-25 23:19
Thanks Genghis9 -- Based on my memory, I had plenty of satellites (9+.)  I was in a clear area -- and it is the first thing I checked.  The funny thing is it did NOT give me any warnings and no warnings were logged in the Go 4 App under "past warnings."  Again, I think it was some type of glitch.  Nor did it give me ATTI mode option.

During my test today even basic warnings were logged in the Warnings log (so thank you for pointing it out -- I never knew that was even there.)

Well who can say, but based on what you are saying it may have been what it is you think...
Take Care, Fly Safe!
2018-4-25
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

SkyLadderDrones Posted at 2018-4-25 23:13
Hello all -- first, thank you for taking the time to read my post and respond with your thoughts.  

So, I'm going to declare this post closed -- I drove to Class G airspace this afternoon and I am getting the all clear green "Ready to fly."  

Thanks for keeping us updated. It's nice to know the issue has been figured out. Wish you have a good time with the drone.
2018-4-27
Use props
pickfordphotography.com
lvl.3
Flight distance : 13593894 ft
  • >>>
Australia

FYI this happened to me - in zones where there are no restrictions.... caused me absolute grief....  I used the unlock zone with DJI for a 40km zone.....to get me out of trouble for mapping.... but i need to test this more in depth later...... was FUMING>>... DJI need to look at giving Licensed Pilots more CONTROL......
2018-9-4
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

pickfordphotography.com Posted at 2018-9-4 20:24
FYI this happened to me - in zones where there are no restrictions.... caused me absolute grief....  I used the unlock zone with DJI for a 40km zone.....to get me out of trouble for mapping.... but i need to test this more in depth later...... was FUMING>>... DJI need to look at giving Licensed Pilots more CONTROL......

DJI have no idea you are 'licensed', so they treat you like all the other potential fools out there. It is NOT a professional drone, it is for consumers, and many of those consumers are idiots and have to be protected from themselves.
2018-9-4
Use props
Mark The Droner
First Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

From what I've read and seen, my understanding is as follows:

The no-fly map data is held on the AC, but not all the data world-wide is on each AC.  The data is much too vast to be held on each DJI AC.  The AC only holds no-fly data for the general area you have flown.  If you move to a new area, the no-fly data for that area gets updated when you're online.  But what if you're not online?  If you're offline, the AC knows where you are, but there is no no-fly data for that area.  So it makes an assumption.

If you move to a new area that has no no-fly data and you're also not online, it assumes whatever situation existed before you moved to the new area.  So if you had been in a restricted area before, it assumes the same.  If you had been in a non-restricted area before, it assumes same.  But as soon as you get online, the no-fly maps will be updated for your current area and the system will behave correctly.
2018-9-5
Use props
SkyLadderDrones
lvl.2

***HELLO ALL -- HERE IS THE SOLUTION ---->>>  I had a "Unlocking License" for a different area marked as 'on.'  When you have a unlocking license out of the area on, it treats the rest of the world as no fly zones.  Turn off all unlocking licenses and problem is solved.
2019-9-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules