How to edit your spark videos part 1: picking your shots
1742 22 2018-4-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
RobertWSimpson
lvl.4
Flight distance : 927185 ft

https://youtu.be/gnVFbHKb2tM

Part 1 of a three part series I am making on how I edit my drone footage.  Hope this helps someone!
2018-4-23
Use props
Cesargp
lvl.4
Flight distance : 458317 ft
Chile

This sounds great!
2018-4-23
Use props
The Bash's
lvl.4

United States

Always willing to learn something new, can't wait for parts 2 and 3
2018-4-23
Use props
dj_dread
Second Officer
Flight distance : 648399 ft
Romania

very nice explained!
one suggestion if i may: try keeping the volume at a constant level
good job!
2018-4-23
Use props
Solestacz
lvl.4
Flight distance : 489193 ft
United States

much appreciated.
2018-4-24
Use props
unhommelibre
lvl.4
Flight distance : 109268 ft
United States

Cool video. Looking forward to the rest of the series.
2018-4-24
Use props
RobertWSimpson
lvl.4
United States

Cool! glad you like it! be on the lookout for the 2 follow-up videos to this one.  I know that picking your shots is not the most interesting thing in the world...
2018-4-24
Use props
Gunship9
lvl.4
United States

Odd you don't look like your avatar.  

My first pass removes shot errors.  My second pass removes parts that don't relate to what the video is saying.  Then other things lined up, final review by disinterested family members, and then export the video.  Then watch the final published (?) product and find more shot errors and parts that don't relate to anything.

Brace your thumbs flat on the face of the drone and lean them against the sticks for finer compound movements.  It helps stabilize the digits of the coffee addict.
2018-4-24
Use props
RobertWSimpson
lvl.4
United States

The Bash's Posted at 2018-4-23 20:23
Always willing to learn something new, can't wait for parts 2 and 3

That's the way we should all be! I learn a LOT by watching other people's videos here!

I'm working hard on producing the next two videos!
2018-4-24
Use props
RobertWSimpson
lvl.4
United States

dj_dread Posted at 2018-4-23 22:53
very nice explained!
one suggestion if i may: try keeping the volume at a constant level
good job!

Thanks!

yeah, similar to the auto-exposure issue, I used two different microphone setups for this video, so keeping the vocals sounding the same is hard.  I'll try to do better on the next one for ya!
2018-4-24
Use props
RobertWSimpson
lvl.4
United States

I'm happy if you got something out of it!
2018-4-24
Use props
RobertWSimpson
lvl.4
United States

unhommelibre Posted at 2018-4-24 05:17
Cool video. Looking forward to the rest of the series.

Thanks!  I'm looking forward to making them!  Hopefully I can give out some good and useful tips!
2018-4-24
Use props
RobertWSimpson
lvl.4
United States

Gunship9 Posted at 2018-4-24 07:39
Odd you don't look like your avatar.  

My first pass removes shot errors.  My second pass removes parts that don't relate to what the video is saying.  Then other things lined up, final review by disinterested family members, and then export the video.  Then watch the final published (?) product and find more shot errors and parts that don't relate to anything.

lol I usually wear glasses and I got a wild hair and, well, cut my hair off.  I'm wearing a hoodie 99% of the time, and drinking coffee nearly 100% of the time.  funny to notice that though!

You're definitely doing what I do, which is to get rid of basically 90% of what you shoot.  Like I say in the video, I think that's so important!  I like your idea of enlisting uninterested family members.  They won't think that a shot is cool just because it had special seafoam in it like I do.

Another thing that I've found that helps smooth out movements is to use tripod mode.  Even still, I just don't like the panning movements.  I find them ugly in all spark videos, not just mine.  it's the nature of the aircraft.  It's ok though, I can keep honing my flying so that when I get an upgraded craft, I'll be that much better from the start.  it's all about practice, I think.

Thank you for your thoughtful contribution to this thread by the way.  Too many people here just say "cool video" and move on.  I am always looking for honest feedback.  That's how we can all get better.
2018-4-24
Use props
Gunship9
lvl.4
United States

RobertWSimpson Posted at 2018-4-24 10:15
lol I usually wear glasses and I got a wild hair and, well, cut my hair off.  I'm wearing a hoodie 99% of the time, and drinking coffee nearly 100% of the time.  funny to notice that though!

You're definitely doing what I do, which is to get rid of basically 90% of what you shoot.  Like I say in the video, I think that's so important!  I like your idea of enlisting uninterested family members.  They won't think that a shot is cool just because it had special seafoam in it like I do.

Panning across the horizon/scene does look bad on the Spark.  I think it looks bad on anything including a fluid head with a good mode 2 stabilized lens.  It has to be so slow or objects are just moving wrong across the screen.  

But, if the subject is moving by the camera and the Spark pans to track them, it can look pretty good.  It separates the subject from the background since the subject stays in one position on the screen and everything else is moving across the screen.  Difficult though and something to experiment on.

Spark return 5.gif
2018-4-24
Use props
RobertWSimpson
lvl.4
United States

Gunship9 Posted at 2018-4-24 11:19
Panning across the horizon/scene does look bad on the Spark.  I think it looks bad on anything including a fluid head with a good mode 2 stabilized lens.  It has to be so slow or objects are just moving wrong across the screen.  

But, if the subject is moving by the camera and the Spark pans to track them, it can look pretty good.  It separates the subject from the background since the subject stays in one position on the screen and everything else is moving across the screen.  Difficult though and something to experiment on.

definitely something for me to work on and learn to do.  I don't want my footage to LOOK like it was shot on a drone (let alone a cheap one!), so I just try not to include stuff that makes it look that way.

What is that gif??? it looks crazy!
2018-4-24
Use props
Paul Lee
lvl.4
Flight distance : 120623 ft

Great tutorial....Looking forward to the 2nd part as I really want to learn more on syncing - I love the way people make there scenes changes sync with the music.
Here is a prime example:
2018-4-24
Use props
Bing Err
Captain
Flight distance : 9249964 ft
  • >>>
United States

nice work. Can't wait for the next ones.
2018-4-24
Use props
Gunship9
lvl.4
United States

RobertWSimpson Posted at 2018-4-24 12:33
definitely something for me to work on and learn to do.  I don't want my footage to LOOK like it was shot on a drone (let alone a cheap one!), so I just try not to include stuff that makes it look that way.

I was bringing the Spark back from getting some airborne shots of my model airplane flying.  It is a screen grab from one of the videos.  Got too busy with family videos to do anything with the footage.

2018-4-24
Use props
RobertWSimpson
lvl.4

Paul Lee Posted at 2018-4-24 13:39
Great tutorial....Looking forward to the 2nd part as I really want to learn more on syncing - I love the way people make there scenes changes sync with the music.
Here is a prime example:
Scotia Symphonia

Wow that’s amazing. I love the sound effects too.  Something to aspire to!

Somehow after watching that, my video feels extremely basic.
2018-4-24
Use props
RobertWSimpson
lvl.4

Bing Err Posted at 2018-4-24 14:12
nice work. Can't wait for the next ones.

Thanks man! Working on releasing another in the next few days.
2018-4-24
Use props
RobertWSimpson
lvl.4

Gunship9 Posted at 2018-4-24 14:14
I was bringing the Spark back from getting some airborne shots of my model airplane flying.  It is a screen grab from one of the videos.  Got too busy with family videos to do anything with the footage.

[view_image]

Whoa that is a lot going on all at once. Do you fly a lot of other stuff?
2018-4-24
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Nice video! Thanks for sharing with us.
2018-4-26
Use props
RobertWSimpson
lvl.4

DJI Susan Posted at 2018-4-26 01:23
Nice video! Thanks for sharing with us.