Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Private Airports/Heliports within 5 Miles
662 2 2018-4-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
MAPilot
Second Officer

[size=14.666666984558105px]I can understand notifying a control tower, since they have control over their airspace - 5 miles up to 3000’, and can communicate with pilots about UAV traffic that may affect them. Absent an entity that communicates with pilots, it’s not clear how the owner of the “blacktop” would use the notification of the sUAV operation.

[size=14.666666984558105px]Unfortunately, most private airports/heliports are unattended. In my experience, calling the number in the FAA registry for these facilities usually goes to voicemail, and you don’t get a callback. If somebody does answer, they usually have no idea of what to do with the information you’re giving them.

[size=14.666666984558105px]A few days ago, I called the number for a hospital helipad several times and the call went to VM each time. I left a message including my cell number…but nobody called back. I called the main switchboard and they had no idea where to refer me, so they passed me to Security, who didn’t know either. I gave them the name of the person on the FAA registry, and they said he was in facilities, so I got transferred there. The man who answered there wasn’t very helpful either, but at least, assured me he’d make sure I got the callback - he told me they only do things like cleaning the snow from the helipad. No call back yet, but I’m not holding my breath.

[size=14.666666984558105px]Another helipad call got a quick return, but not from the person the FAA had listed.  That person, for whom I left the VM, had one of their pilots, who was also 107 certified, call me; he knew exactly what I was talking about, and only asked where I flew from. When I told him, he said that at that distance they were well above 400’. He basically said there was no issue unless I was right near the pad, and that I wouldn’t have to call each time. He said if they saw me, they’d go around, and if I saw them, I should just land.  Pleasant conversation, problem solved.  If only it was so easy everywhere.
[size=14.666666984558105px]

[size=14.666666984558105px]Does anybody know if there’s any effort going on to change the 5 mile rule? How about eliminating it for private facilities and/or or those without any control tower or other means to let pilots know where you’re at? Or maybe reducing the distance to 1 mile, if you’d stay below say 200’. The way it is now, I end up calling a lot of people who have no idea what to do with that info, or just seem annoyed by my call. I’m all for safety, but I think putting a high powered strobe (Firehouse 4 LED) on my MA will make far more difference than a phone call to someone not in a position to notify actual pilots.

2018-4-23
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Captain
United States

Here is an idea to start cleaning this mess up.
FAA starts calling all facilities listed in FAA registry -

if no one answers FAA leaves a message with return contact info -
if FAA does not get a return call within 24-hours the facility is removed from registry and any drone flight restrictions are removed.
If a facility is not going to respond to FAA, there is no way Facility is going to respond to drone pilot.

if someone does answer FAA asks to speak to person responsible for facility's flying -
if FAA can't speak with person, FAA leaves return call info.  If FAA does not hear back with 24-hours the facility is removed from registry and any drone flight restrictions are removed.
if FAA does speak with person, FAA confirms airport / helipad is still active under large penalty for lying.  FAA also asks whether person responsible wants to be called by drone pilots when flying within 5-miles or if person only wants to be called when drone will be flown within #,000 of feet of facility.
This gives facility the option of cutting down on un-wanted calls.

As FAA registry is updated, the NFZ is also updated.

The process would reinforce safety.  Being drone pilots would not get discouraged by endless un-answered calls or wasting time calling facilities that are no longer activity.
2018-4-23
Use props
MAPilot
Second Officer

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2018-4-23 20:48
Here is an idea to start cleaning this mess up.
FAA starts calling all facilities listed in FAA registry -

It would be great if the FAA did this; would’ve been better if they had done so BEFORE they put out that 5 mile rule

That hospital I referred to in my original post was at another location a couple of miles away. They also had a really nice heliport, with hangar. It’s been a couple of years, and there is no hospital there, but the heliport is still listed, even though there isn’t even a windsock there.  And I’ll give you one guess what happens when you call the phone number. Here’s a link to the aerial photo.

5NJ9
2018-4-24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules