UFO snatched my drone yesterday (lost drone)
1883 33 2018-4-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
chamdew
lvl.2
Flight distance : 47169 ft

yesterday i lost my drone. connection between controller and drone was all right. however, it was suddenly changed to bad. drone was coming back to my location which was home location,  and drone never came to me.
i have been thinking and thinkig, but i could not find out why drone disappeared and never come back.
distance was not too far less than 500ft.  
could anyone tell me the reason? altitude was too high?
battery can be fallen off from drone while flight ?

i attached some pictures of log analysis and link to LOG file.

start of flight
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1wFi-Qr6scscCr2mtOlMAUhFGO-s6NSLb

middle of flight

last of flight

logfile

for checking the log file
http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/

2018-4-23
Use props
The Bash's
lvl.4

United States

It was cruising at a good pace, You should open a case with support.  They may take responsibility for it and warranty replace your Spark.
2018-4-23
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

Sorry for your lost. Please contact our support and start a case: http://www.dji.com/support You can provide us the flight records to locate the problem.
2018-4-24
Use props
chamdew
lvl.2

The Bash's Posted at 2018-4-23 20:19
It was cruising at a good pace, You should open a case with support.  They may take responsibility for it and warranty replace your Spark.

thanks. i will contact to them.
2018-4-24
Use props
chamdew
lvl.2

DJI Elektra Posted at 2018-4-24 00:21
Sorry for your lost. Please contact our support and start a case: http://www.dji.com/support You can provide us the flight records to locate the problem.

thank you for the link
2018-4-24
Use props
S.J
Second Officer
Flight distance : 322454 ft
Japan

Did you do a RTH from your RC ?
2018-4-24
Use props
chamdew
lvl.2

S.J Posted at 2018-4-24 11:11
Did you do a RTH from your RC ?

Before lost connection, i don't remember if it was returning manually or automatically. However it was coming to me for sure. I could see my car in the cellphone and map says it was heading toward me.
After losing control, i hit RTH button on controller several times.

I still don't know what was the problem.
I opened up a case, so i am waiting for their answer.
2018-4-24
Use props
Lstumpf3
lvl.2

Canada

I've read threads regarding lost drones, from user-errors, to drone "kidnaps". May I ask if you are flying having a sight of nearby birds? Like hawks or eagles that are big enough to battle the drone?
2018-4-29
Use props
chamdew
lvl.2

Lstumpf3 Posted at 2018-4-29 19:52
I've read threads regarding lost drones, from user-errors, to drone "kidnaps". May I ask if you are flying having a sight of nearby birds? Like hawks or eagles that are big enough to battle the drone?

no way. there could be a bird around the drone, but i don't think it happened by bird because the connection was totally disconnected suddenly. Even though a bird snatched the drone,  flight data should be sent to my phone until a bird broke the drone, so i don't think it happened by a bird.
i didn't get any signal from drone suddenly. that is mystery.
2018-4-29
Use props
davidmartingraf
First Officer
Flight distance : 106566408 ft
  • >>>

I'm sorry to hear that, hopefully you can speak to DJI about what options exist for your Spark. Good luck.
2018-4-29
Use props
chamdew
lvl.2

davidmartingraf Posted at 2018-4-29 20:45
I'm sorry to hear that, hopefully you can speak to DJI about what options exist for your Spark. Good luck.

Thank you. I am talking with them, so I hope they can give me clear answer.
2018-4-29
Use props
Flighty
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1977175 ft
Croatia

Never good hearing about a lost Drone,, I can't think of any fault that would have contributed to this. As you could see the Drone returning did you notice anything unusual??  Hopefully DJi can assist and give some positive spin on this..
2018-4-29
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

chamdew Posted at 2018-4-24 04:48
thank you for the link

Please contact us if you need help in your case.
2018-4-30
Use props
chamdew
lvl.2

Flighty Posted at 2018-4-29 21:08
Never good hearing about a lost Drone,, I can't think of any fault that would have contributed to this. As you could see the Drone returning did you notice anything unusual??  Hopefully DJi can assist and give some positive spin on this..

nothing was unusual. thank you for response.  
2018-4-30
Use props
Lstumpf3
lvl.2

Canada

chamdew Posted at 2018-4-29 19:58
no way. there could be a bird around the drone, but i don't think it happened by bird because the connection was totally disconnected suddenly. Even though a bird snatched the drone,  flight data should be sent to my phone until a bird broke the drone, so i don't think it happened by a bird.
i didn't get any signal from drone suddenly. that is mystery.

That is really a tricky case to solve. Have you tried looking for your drone where it recorded its last position?
2018-4-30
Use props
chamdew
lvl.2

Lstumpf3 Posted at 2018-4-30 23:45
That is really a tricky case to solve. Have you tried looking for your drone where it recorded its last position?

No i could not. I gotta come back home. the place is not closed to my home.
thank you for reply.
2018-5-1
Use props
InTheReeds
lvl.4
Flight distance : 347103 ft
United States

flight log
http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/TR4TQKCFO3YJOAX6AZLY/
2018-5-1
Use props
chamdew
lvl.2

InTheReeds Posted at 2018-5-1 09:05
flight log
http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/TR4TQKCFO3YJOAX6AZLY/

thank you very much for the link.
2018-5-1
Use props
Ryan Olivas
lvl.4

United States

The altitude was too high i guess. Its more of a pilot error rather than a technical...
2018-5-1
Use props
chamdew
lvl.2

Ryan Olivas Posted at 2018-5-1 20:57
The altitude was too high i guess. Its more of a pilot error rather than a technical...

the limit of altitude is set by manufacture, i cannot fly higher than limit even though i want to fly higher.
i had been to that altitude many times, but there was no problem.
i think nobody pay attention to limit of max altitude and try not to reach the max height.

2018-5-1
Use props
Lstumpf3
lvl.2

Canada

chamdew Posted at 2018-5-1 21:14
the limit of altitude is set by manufacture, i cannot fly higher than limit even though i want to fly higher.
i think nobody pay attention to limit of max altitude and try not to reach the max height.

I believe it's less of a pilot error, but we'll see what does the logs have recorded in it
2018-5-2
Use props
chamdew
lvl.2

Lstumpf3 Posted at 2018-5-2 23:50
I believe it's less of a pilot error, but we'll see what does the logs have recorded in it

They said they were analyzing again, so we will see what they find soon.
2018-5-3
Use props
Ryan Olivas
lvl.4

United States

chamdew Posted at 2018-5-1 21:14

The maximum allowable altitude is 400 feet above the ground, and higher if your drone remains within 400 feet of a structure.
2018-5-3
Use props
ashleygray
lvl.1

Canada

Have the logs uploaded
2018-5-3
Use props
Lstumpf3
lvl.2

Canada

chamdew Posted at 2018-5-3 19:47
They said they were analyzing again, so we will see what they find soon.

Whoa, I hope nothing serious have caused that kind of catastrophe. Wonder why it took them long
2018-5-6
Use props
natnatroswell
lvl.3

United States

Ryan Olivas Posted at 2018-5-3 21:13
The maximum allowable altitude is 400 feet above the ground, and higher if your drone remains within 400 feet of a structure.

is that in general? or just a specific drone?
2018-5-6
Use props
Ryan Olivas
lvl.4

United States

natnatroswell Posted at 2018-5-6 21:08
is that in general? or just a specific drone?

basically its in general. kindly read the manual...
2018-5-8
Use props
natnatroswell
lvl.3

United States

Ryan Olivas Posted at 2018-5-8 20:56
basically its in general. kindly read the manual...

Okay dude! thanks for the info.
2018-5-9
Use props
chamdew
lvl.2

my case is solved . it is ended up with 50% discounts.
we couldn't find the reason for disconnection and gone. it is still mystery.
however, i am satisfied with 50% off. thank DJI for trying to understand my case. it took a little bit , but DJI never stop talking with me and trying to solve the problem.
if somebody has the same problem as mine , just talk with DJI support. it is worthy to talk with them.

thank everyone who has pay attention on my case
2018-5-10
Use props
Ryan Olivas
lvl.4

United States

chamdew Posted at 2018-5-10 09:59
my case is solved . it is ended up with 50% discounts.
we couldn't find the reason for disconnection and gone. it is still mystery.
however, i am satisfied with 50% off. thank DJI for trying to understand my case. it took a little bit , but DJI never stop talking with me and trying to solve the problem.

Good to hear that. DJI is a trustworthy company indeed
2018-5-10
Use props
WebParrot
First Officer
Flight distance : 23625 ft
  • >>>
United States

While your waiting for a Case Reply, here's a though for consideration.  The file you shared (last of flight) shows Sport mode at a speed of 31+mph.  At that altitude it's possible that wind gusts may have contributed in some way.   If the aircraft was flying into the wind and a gust hit it head on or sideways the angle of flight may have been enough to kill the motors.  I have NO first hand knowledge of having this happen.  I read a few posts on other forums where this was shown as a distinct possibility.  If you watch a few videos that talk about "hand catching" the Spark they show a feature that lets you stop the motors by grasping and tipping the aircraft past 90 degrees.   I've never found information that indicated the feature was "disabled" when in full flight.  Something to think about.  Good luck with your Case.  Let us know of the outcome.
2018-5-11
Use props
chamdew
lvl.2

WebParrot Posted at 2018-5-11 05:19
While your waiting for a Case Reply, here's a though for consideration.  The file you shared (last of flight) shows Sport mode at a speed of 31+mph.  At that altitude it's possible that wind gusts may have contributed in some way.   If the aircraft was flying into the wind and a gust hit it head on or sideways the angle of flight may have been enough to kill the motors.  I have NO first hand knowledge of having this happen.  I read a few posts on other forums where this was shown as a distinct possibility.  If you watch a few videos that talk about "hand catching" the Spark they show a feature that lets you stop the motors by grasping and tipping the aircraft past 90 degrees.   I've never found information that indicated the feature was "disabled" when in full flight.  Something to think about.  Good luck with your Case.  Let us know of the outcome.

thank you for your reply, but the case already has been closed

thank you for showing another possibility. yes strong wind could be the reason, but i think the connection can not be disconnected even though motor is dead. if motor was dead, the drone would be fallen. the flight log should say altitude was getting lower until the drone reached to the ground because flight log is updated every about 1/10 seconds .
2018-5-11
Use props
chamdew
lvl.2

chamdew Posted at 2018-5-11 09:24
thank you for your reply, but the case already has been closed

thank you for showing another possibility. yes strong wind could be the reason, but i think the connection can not be disconnected even though motor is dead. if motor was dead, the drone would be fallen. the flight log should say altitude was getting lower until the drone reached to the ground because flight log is updated every about 1/10 seconds .

if drone is flipped , flight is ended ? and flight log is not updated?
i never thought about this. this is possible hypothesis too.
2018-5-11
Use props
natnatroswell
lvl.3

United States

Ryan Olivas Posted at 2018-5-10 22:11
Good to hear that. DJI is a trustworthy company indeed

I agree
2018-5-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now