Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Would You Volunteer To Be A Beta Tester If DJI Offered?
4782 28 2018-4-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Rodador
lvl.4
Flight distance : 427520 ft
United States

This is my first poll, hope it works, I don't know what all the settings mean exactly.
Just curious to see if there were enough interest would DJI consider an official open beta program.

Google Play has an Open Beta program where users can opt-in to be beta testers and iOS has testflight where users can be enrolled to get early releases. Each of these has to be "turned on" by the app developer.

If DJI offered these programs would you be a beta tester?

Not to say that everything would be released to the beta testers as soon as it's coded but once they have a stabil release candidate they could make it available to all the beta testers.

This way people willing to "live on the edge" could get the latest greatest while providing valuable feedback to DJI. This would make it so there would be official beta testers rather than them making beta testers out of all of us. ;)

Happy Landings!
Multiple choiceVote: ( Up to 2 entry optional ), Total 94 people participate in voting
Your user group with no voting privileges
2018-4-23
Use props
eYeSkYeYe
Captain

United States

It really depends. We are all basically beta testers as traditionally DJI GO app is extremely unpolished.
If DJI would provide the hardware as well than yes, if not than no.
2018-4-23
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

Thanks for your attention. Spark does not have beta test for now. Any advice toward our app and product is welcomed.
2018-4-23
Use props
WilfredSparkman 0
Captain
Flight distance : 182215 ft
United Kingdom

I would love to, although with the risks in being a beta tester would probably prefer that the drone i was testing didn't involve me spending the £700 + on the drone itself to test it
2018-4-24
Use props
Haggi
Captain
Flight distance : 2581785 ft
Norway

We, who are running 4.2.12 on Android, are indeed beta-testers...
2018-4-24
Use props
Rodador
lvl.4
United States

DJI Elektra Posted at 2018-4-23 23:52
Thanks for your attention. Spark does not have beta test for now. Any advice toward our app and product is welcomed.

Elektra

My interest is more towards DJI GO 4 app betas.

The idea is to give a group of pilots who have agreed to test the newest bug fixes and features a chance to test while understanding that there could be problems.

This way DJI would be able to get beta feedback from more users and without affecting their entire customer base needlessly.

I work on a project that has a mobile app, server and hardware and we use this model. We have found that some people are happy to help with testing betas and get a lot less frustrated when they expect there could be problems vs when you release a new version as fully tested only to find that you missed some key tests. This does not mean we're perfect but we believe it helps us do better with full releases.

This way bug fixes and new features could be pushed to beta more regularly which will get DJI more feedback sooner which will help get releases out to all customers faster and be more reliable. It's a win win!

Thanks for commenting!
2018-4-24
Use props
_pk
Second Officer
Flight distance : 696 ft
Poland

Personally I feel like a beta-tester without ever agreeing to participate in a beta-test. Purchasing a product I expected it to be tested and stabilized prior to being released. It seems I was too naive. All I want from GO4 would be to stably work.
2018-4-25
Use props
heliman
First Officer

To answer the question; yes, I would like to beta test go apps.
Unfortunately it does not make sense with a spark, as development for it seems to have stopped.
The catch is I won’t upgrade it before there is a better app.
2018-4-25
Use props
davidmartingraf
Captain
Flight distance : 84805085 ft
  • >>>

As long as being a Beta Tester yields no less than not testing.
2018-4-25
Use props
Rodador
lvl.4
United States

heliman Posted at 2018-4-25 07:38
To answer the question; yes, I would like to beta test go apps.
Unfortunately it does not make sense with a spark, as development for it seems to have stopped.
The catch is I won’t upgrade it before there is a better app.

I get that it's been a while since a Spark specific update has been released but I, being very new to DJI still, highly doubt they have stopped developing for Spark. I think they have been very busy with new product launches and additional overhead of supporting those new devices and that can definitely distract from "old" (yes, 8 months seems old now-a-days) product and adding features to them.

As I've mentioned, I work on a project that includes hardware and a mobile app (iOS & Android native apps) and our first product was launched on a wing and a prayer it seemed but it was a bigger success than anyone anticipated. Now everyone has ideas for new products we could add to the line up and now this year we've launched four new products and we are definitely feeling the pressure to keep existing customers happy and support these new products, it's no easy task. So, all that to say I will cut DJI a little slack and give them some time to get things as good as they can while still releasing new stuff at a decent pace.

In fact, my suggestion for them to start an open beta of the Go apps would/should help them release more stable versions more often.

Thanks for commenting - Happy Landings!
2018-4-25
Use props
Rodador
lvl.4
United States

davidmartingraf Posted at 2018-4-25 09:35
As long as being a Beta Tester yields no less than not testing.

Fair statement.

Given what I'm seeing so far a lot of people on the forums feel they are already beta testers. Not an uncommon sentiment among "early adopters" when it comes to something as complex as a DJI drone.

I'm willing to live with it as long as I feel they will continue to support and refine their products. If I lose that feeling then I have no problem trying something else.

Thanks for the comment - Happy Landings!
2018-4-25
Use props
heliman
First Officer

NONE of the annoying issues I have been yelling here about for almost 10 months, have been fixed.

Messages block FPV screen, and interaction with it during flight.
A way to limit messages clutter is missing.
Gimbal up/down controls work backwards.
Dial can't be used for iso/shutter adjustment.
An explanation for all the possible app messages is non-existant.
Quickshot modes force the user to swith the OA slider in user preferences on. (And leaves it on afterwards).
Needs more useful function button user assignments, i.e. OA and tripod toggle.
Needs a way to switch downwards sensors off.
Needs portrait mode (so ipad 9.7" can be used in the rc grips).
Needs camera to be able to be raised upwards without resorting to tripod mode.
No proper release notes.
Fly safe app database on ipad (wifi) and other non-cellular devices won't update, using official instructions.

If I ever choose to buy another aircraf†, I also want a choice of rc’s.
And standard USB fast charging. That means USB 3.1 PD (Power Delivery) charging. It supports charging up to 20V/5A
and the same s†andard charging PS can be used for all models.
And I want accessories that suit more that just one model.

As you see, choosing a DJI quad was a mistake for me.
2018-4-27
Use props
WebParrot
Captain
Flight distance : 23625 ft
  • >>>
United States

No, but I might consider it if......   1) THEY provide the aircraft,
2) the beta includes a proven GeoFence function,
3) they provide a waiver and insurance liability clause that holds (me) harmless any damage or injury a crash causes.  
(point is... a private pilot would be crazy to take the personal risk to test without a sponsor's assumption of liability)
2018-4-27
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

Rodador Posted at 2018-4-24 10:10
Elektra

My interest is more towards DJI GO 4 app betas.

We will release each version of our app step by step. And if we find any problem we will fix it as soon as possible. Your suggestion will be forwarded. Thanks for your support!
2018-5-4
Use props
Warriewoodlad
First Officer
Flight distance : 625230 ft
Australia

Beta tester on their AUV - yes please   On mine - not so much
2018-9-6
Use props
Greg - TheHuski
Captain
Flight distance : 944308 ft
Australia

I'd say NO.. I'm not testing my drone with untried software.. Unless DJI guarantee any damage they will replace it..
2018-9-6
Use props
Flighty
Captain
Flight distance : 1977175 ft
Croatia

I Beta Test each time I switch on the Spark,,,
2018-9-6
Use props
DPJ
First Officer
Flight distance : 21686 ft
United Kingdom

TBH, with the amount of issues people post every time there is an update to the Apps, I doubt many people would volunteer without some sort of guarantee from DJI, that if their hardware goes nuts and disappears off behind the nearest mountain, with no chance of recovery., then it will be replaced. I for one wouldn't want to be a guinea pig, knowing there's a risk of my Spark going haywire and not coming back to me in one piece.
2018-9-7
Use props
H. Arif - 6IX
First Officer
Flight distance : 430364 ft
Canada

I would be beta tester, just my Spark cannot be on the line. Their UAV, sure, why not. But if mine was on line I wouldn't do it because this hobby and these tools are extremely expensive.
2018-9-7
Use props
fans1b63a5d1
lvl.1
Flight distance : 17713 ft

United States

How do you become a beta tester?
2019-1-15
Use props
darkfull1
Second Officer
Flight distance : 13114 ft
Switzerland

I was trained to do that as my job so of course I would.
2019-1-16
Use props
Tentoes
Captain
Flight distance : 6018255 ft
United States

Well, in theory we're "Alpha Testers," as we are the users. "Beta Testers" are the few technically minded end users you let try something before you release it to the masses.

Yes, I'd volunteer.
2019-1-16
Use props
pianoplayer7
First Officer
Flight distance : 259055 ft
United States

I definitely think this opportunity would be amazing. I tend to be the one that finds tons of bugs in everything, so I think this would give the opportunity for the public to get the most out of the app. The app currently has three stars on the app store, and something like this could bring that up. DJI Go 4 deserves more than three stars.
2019-1-29
Use props
pianoplayer7
First Officer
Flight distance : 259055 ft
United States

fans1b63a5d1 Posted at 1-15 17:02
How do you become a beta tester?

Unfortunately, that is not an option yet. This thread is actually to discuss whether that would be a good option in the future. Hopefully DJI allows beta testers for the app soon.
2019-1-29
Use props
dencio1976
lvl.1
Flight distance : 10397 ft
Philippines

Only on a free-sponsored drone given that there may be risks. Otherwise, no thanks.
2019-1-29
Use props
ArnoSpark
First Officer
Kenya

Yes indeed so long i am willingly been told not undercover  
2019-1-29
Use props
SAADHERO
First Officer
Flight distance : 2269905 ft
Kuwait

Why not? free drones
2019-3-3
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I'd consider IOS only
2019-3-3
Use props
SWAT1
lvl.1

United States

I would love to be a Beta tester. Heck, I think with all the DJI products I have owned over the past 9 years. I should get some kind of loyalty. I've owned the first DJI Phantom they came out with. Then from there purchased the P2 vision, then the P3 advanced and from that to the first production of the Phantom 4, before they came out with the Pro and Advanced. I recently, well 2 years ago purchased the Mavic Pro. I build racing drones and repair a lot of DJI drones. So if they ever gave an opportunity to a dedicated DJI pilot than I would apply. I have a lot of followers on Facebook groups that ask a lot of advice and information on how to. I can say this, autel has gained some interest in my reviews and knowledge. I will say they are the first drone company that has caught my interest as far as competing against DJI. The AUTEL EVO 2 has caught my eye. They have added those extra side sensors that were brilliant. I won't go in detail about them and their customer SUPPORT.   
2020-6-12
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules