2308 48 2018-4-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Mavic Dave
lvl.4
Flight distance : 41161 ft
United Kingdom

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co. ... eland-36832032.html

Although this is reported by my local paper, it covers research throughout the UK.

Not a nice headline to read, I wonder who is flying over schools!!!

Think there is a misprint regarding the height, it should be 120M not 12M

2018-4-24
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft

Thank you for sharing the information, hope our pilots take care and fly safely.
2018-4-24
Use props
M2Wair
First Officer
Flight distance : 1192231 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Not a nice headline is right, and all it takes is a couple of irresponsible clowns, and it's not restricted just to the UK .  Regulation is coming and if it keeps the clowns grounded I am all for it.
2018-4-24
Use props
Suren
Captain
Flight distance : 13425892 ft
  • >>>
South Africa

This happens because there are a lot of guys there that do not know the drone laws and regulations. They just fly crazy
2018-4-24
Use props
Captain Mal
lvl.4
Flight distance : 337890 ft
United States

I'm not in the UK, but I suspect this would be similar in the US. I'm part of a local area drone group on Facebook. At least twice a week, I see people posting photos of places I know it's not legal to fly.
2018-4-24
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>
United States

Sad just sad. I say get your part 107 or whatever it called in your country. It’s just a matter of time before it’s required.  It’s going to get harder to be a hobby pilot when stunts like this keep happening.
2018-4-24
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

The flying over schools is particularly worrying, increase in complaints could be coming from many new drones out there, common sense and more education needs to be applied, I think we will see this kind of thing exponentially increased in the future.

I also feel we will see new drones being sold in the future with limiters attached, which can only be removed when pilot goes through training programs.

IE:
Aircraft limited to beginner mode until safety exam is completed (online)
Aircraft limited to hobbyists mode until further safety exam is completed (online)
Aircraft is unlimited when pilot takes practical and safety exam (on site)
2018-4-24
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13926112 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Well, I've seen videos of people on here flying over residential areas in London and active tracking their own car along public roads so this comes as no surprise. That said, the media does like to exaggerate things and only yesterday the BBC announced the use of drones to save lives by tracking sharks off shore lines in Australia and new cameras for search and rescue but it's articles like this that the public will unfortunately remember and what councils and government act upon. The more idiots that take to the sky the more restrictions will be imposed until one day the term 'hobbyist' will not apply to drones which will become a very regulated, controlled and niche market for professional operators only.
2018-4-24
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

As for drones flying over schools...  It begs question who is doing it???
Is it kids having fun with their classmates.  Or is it perverts looking for kids to target.  
Or a case of more open area (aka playgrounds), and ignorance of Law.

As for increase in drone complaints in Northern Ireland...
Case of increasing drone awareness, more drones due to popularity, and a small country (all of Ireland would fit inside Iowa)???
2018-4-24
Use props
Bulldog
lvl.4
Flight distance : 816158 ft
United States

It's amazing how a "complaint" can ground an entire industry. Notice the article doesn't say "drone accidents" or "damage done by drones"....... It just says people complain more about them now. Are those complaints legit? Are people making up complaints? Are people flying drones according to the law, but complaints imply they are not? Has even one complaint resulted in a sitation? Even one?

Also amazing how so many here on the boards just call these hypothetical people violating the law "idiots and clowns", instead of demanding actual reasons for regulation.

Useful idiots.
2018-4-24
Use props
Gunship9
Second Officer
United States

I have to write articles on a regular basis.  Sometimes several a day.  I need to throw some group under the bus to spice it up with conflict and keep the articles interesting enough to bring in an audience.  It is best to pick a group that won't strike back such as the one percenters or drone owners.  Juice up the article and get people's blood boiling or lose audience numbers is an easy choice.  Pretty sure drones are the end of the world and can write articles that support that.

Joking, but I do have a certain disdain for people who write for a living and have to make mountains out of mole hills.  Yellow journalism.
2018-4-24
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2018-4-24 08:27
As for drones flying over schools...  It begs question who is doing it???
Is it kids having fun with their classmates.  Or is it perverts looking for kids to target.  
Or a case of more open area (aka playgrounds), and ignorance of Law.

Ahh yes probably half the size of Iowa , but probably 2 million more people with much better arable land,in the drone world as regards innovation and use of drones in SAR , police operations in combating illegal crimes, ireland punches above its weight, it is also very much at the forefront of new EASA regulations for flying SUA throughout Europe, and new development of U-Space for SUA’s..

Just one SAR in full operation .
2018-4-24
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-4-24 09:01
Ahh yes probably half the size of Iowa , but probably 2 million more people with much better arable land,in the drone world as regards innovation and use of drones in SAR , police operations in combating illegal crimes, ireland punches above its weight, it is also very much at the forefront of new EASA regulations for flying SUA throughout Europe, and new development of U-Space for SUA’s..

Ahh yes probably half the size of Iowa , but probably 2 million more people.

Resulting higher population density?   Which would in turn result in more incidents.  
Higher population density would also translate into more NFZs, and less open areas near centers of cities due to urban sprawl.

2018-4-24
Use props
WebParrot
First Officer
Flight distance : 23625 ft
  • >>>
United States

Rather poorly written article, in my opinion.  Spouting statistics first is a tactic used by inexperienced, recent journalism grads.  I recall an article that reported a 200% increase in crime at a neighborhood park.  Over three years the number of bicycles stolen rose from three to six... then later in the same article noted that in one case the owner found that a friend had 'borrowed' it and he'd forgotten. In this article "incidents" are mixed with "reports" which are mixed in with "complaints" and little is done to really educate the reader about how to go about dealing with the scourage. (snicker)
2018-4-24
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-4-24 07:53
The flying over schools is particularly worrying, increase in complaints could be coming from many new drones out there, common sense and more education needs to be applied, I think we will see this kind of thing exponentially increased in the future.

I also feel we will see new drones being sold in the future with limiters attached, which can only be removed when pilot goes through training programs.

IE:
Aircraft limited to beginner mode until safety exam is completed (online)
Aircraft limited to hobbyists mode until further safety exam is completed (online)
Aircraft is unlimited when pilot takes practical and safety exam (on site).

Unfortunately, I believe you are correct.  We will see a whole bunch of 'feel good' laws passed under guise of 'public safety'.

Ironically, we have such policies, regulations, and laws for Driving (at least here on other side of pond).  Yet it still does not stop drunk driving, (w)reckless driving, extreme speeding, road-rage driving, inattentive driving, uninsured motorists driving, red-light runners, and t(s)exting and driving.

Laws only prevent crime in a Civilized Society, mainly because Laws aren't needed.
2018-4-24
Use props
WebParrot
First Officer
Flight distance : 23625 ft
  • >>>
United States

Bulldog Posted at 2018-4-24 08:48
It's amazing how a "complaint" can ground an entire industry. Notice the article doesn't say "drone accidents" or "damage done by drones"....... It just says people complain more about them now. Are those complaints legit? Are people making up complaints? Are people flying drones according to the law, but complaints imply they are not? Has even one complaint resulted in a sitation? Even one?

Also amazing how so many here on the boards just call these hypothetical people violating the law "idiots and clowns", instead of demanding actual reasons for regulation.

[ IGNORE ]
2018-4-24
Use props
davidmartingraf
First Officer
Flight distance : 106566408 ft
  • >>>
United States

Interesting statistic when you take into account increases in drone use.
2018-4-24
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-4-24 09:01

Just one SAR in full operation

I have given thought to purchasing a High-end drone with both a regular camera and thermal camera - for purpose of search and rescue in my neck of woods.
Would first require getting blessing of local and Federal authorities for such use.  Being it would require flying both day and night, and over private property when looking for a lost person.

2018-4-24
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2018-4-24 15:46
Ahh yes probably half the size of Iowa , but probably 2 million more people.

Resulting higher population density?   Which would in turn result in more incidents.  

Not exactly, we have very few military NFZ ,ireland is a neutral country and under no threat so no need for large military bases, our cities are the same as any city in Europe and SUA rules apply , ireland is two thirds the size of England which has a population of 40 million, ireland would be considered one of the least densely populated countries in Europe with a population of 4.7 million in the republic, in 1841 population of Ireland was 8.2 million, 1 million died in the famine and a further 3.5 million emigrated, to this day 33 million Americans state claim to Irish heritage.
So at the moment we have plenty of freedom to fly drones, unless you live in the middle of one of our four largest cities or close to one of our four major airports.
2018-4-24
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2018-4-24 15:58
I also feel we will see new drones being sold in the future with limiters attached, which can only be removed when pilot goes through training programs.

IE:

I believe education first, then maybe we will see what laws we need, it’s up to the drone community to educate.
2018-4-24
Use props
StanfordWebbie
Second Officer
Flight distance : 178018 ft

Captain Mal Posted at 2018-4-24 04:53
I'm not in the UK, but I suspect this would be similar in the US. I'm part of a local area drone group on Facebook. At least twice a week, I see people posting photos of places I know it's not legal to fly.

What is the facebook group that you mention?
2018-4-24
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

It's amazing how a "complaint" can ground an entire industry. Notice the article doesn't say "drone accidents" or "damage done by drones"....... It just says people complain more about them now. Are those complaints legit? Are people making up complaints? Are people flying drones according to the law, but complaints imply they are not? Has even one complaint resulted in a sitation? Even one?

Also amazing how so many here on the boards just call these hypothetical people violating the law "idiots and clowns", instead of demanding actual reasons for regulation.

I think it’s fair to say that invasion of people’s privacy and or property and flying over schools is morally wrong and ignorance is not a defense.
2018-4-25
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

It's amazing how a "complaint" can ground an entire industry. Notice the article doesn't say "drone accidents" or "damage done by drones"....... It just says people complain more about them now. Are those complaints legit? Are people making up complaints? Are people flying drones according to the law, but complaints imply they are not? Has even one complaint resulted in a sitation? Even one?

Also amazing how so many here on the boards just call these hypothetical people violating the law "idiots and clowns", instead of demanding actual reasons for regulation.

Five minutes of research and here are a few examples for you. As I said, idiots and there is nothing useful about it!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ ... t-stop-droning.html

https://www.bing.com/videos/sear ... nes+in+UK&FORM=VDRE
2018-4-25
Use props
Picanoc Jack
First Officer
Flight distance : 10337090 ft
Canada

it's a sad how the world has changed, so very grateful I live far away from cities.
2018-4-25
Use props
GLJones
lvl.2
Flight distance : 41381 ft
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-4-25 02:13
I think it’s fair to say that invasion of people’s privacy and or property and flying over schools is morally wrong and ignorance is not a defense.

How is flying over a school morally wrong?  I am absolutely disgusted that everyone, especially men, are all considered sexual predators or child molesters today.  What happened to innocent until proven guilty?  Many flying fields are attached to schools here.  This is nothing more than the perpetuation of false narratives.  The actual number of these perverts is very small. Treating everyone this way because a small number are a problem is counter-productive and does nothing to actually improve safety.  If someone is acting suspicious, report them.  Easy enough for a cop to check things out. Otherwise, a school is no different than any other building from 200+ft up.  
2018-4-25
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

GLJones Posted at 2018-4-25 15:13
How is flying over a school morally wrong?  I am absolutely disgusted that everyone, especially men, are all considered sexual predators or child molesters today.  What happened to innocent until proven guilty?  Many flying fields are attached to schools here.  This is nothing more than the perpetuation of false narratives.  The actual number of these perverts is very small. Treating everyone this way because a small number are a problem is counter-productive and does nothing to actually improve safety.  If someone is acting suspicious, report them.  Easy enough for a cop to check things out. Otherwise, a school is no different than any other building from 200+ft up.

Yeah you might think that , but I would prefer to protect those who are innocent from both those who are ignorant and those who are guilty, you may in your country feel happy that drones are ok to fly over schools, but in my country we see this as a breech of privacy of those who can’t protect themselves, one of the reasons that perverts get away to often is because do gooders stand idly by to wait for these despicable perverts  to be found guilty, but this only ever happens after the damage is done, schools are no place to be flying drones over without permission and to do so is ignorant and ignorance is not a defense
If you believe it’s ok to fly drones over schools that’s your prerogative but it is still ignorant.
2018-4-25
Use props
GLJones
lvl.2
Flight distance : 41381 ft
United States

With that line of thinking, they might as well just ban drones altogether because flying over anything allows people with bad intentions to see in backyards or over fences.  In the US, there is no expectation of privacy outdoors or in public places.  To think otherwise would be impossible to reconcile with other activities such as flying of any kind, satellite imagery, Google Earth, photography of any kind outdoors....
Just because a tiny number of people might abuse something doesn't make it right to ban it.  That line of thinking only leads to a totally restrictive, over regulated place where you are unable to innovate or do anything the government doesn't approve of.  That is the opposite of freedom.  If you believe flying over a school somehow gives a person access to something they cannot get over any park, neighborhood or public place, it is you that is showing ignorance.
2018-5-1
Use props
Bulldog
lvl.4
United States

Dont listen to Hallmark.... He is a drone Nazi...... He will make a rule, about rules, and how those rules should have rules backing those rules......

2018-5-4
Use props
Bulldog
lvl.4
United States

You realize, acknowledging my post with quotations is the opposite of ignoring right?
2018-5-4
Use props
Bill B
lvl.4
Flight distance : 319245 ft
United States

M2Wair Posted at 2018-4-24 00:59
Not a nice headline is right, and all it takes is a couple of irresponsible clowns, and it's not restricted just to the UK .  Regulation is coming and if it keeps the clowns grounded I am all for it.

Agree, Too bad we all need to pay for a few waterheads's actions! i read posts about folks doing a fake GPS thing, it is douchbags like this that will kill flying for the masses, who don't break the rules.
2018-5-4
Use props
Bulldog
lvl.4
United States

A CW Posted at 2018-4-25 02:30
Five minutes of research and here are a few examples for you. As I said, idiots and there is nothing useful about it!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ ... t-stop-droning.html

Once again.... it's not about what one can google..... It's about the report given by the OP. Complaints on the rise is not the same as incidents, fining, arrests on the rise. Your two reports don't show that either.

Seems like you wasted five minutes of research.
2018-5-4
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Bulldog Posted at 2018-5-4 14:26
Once again.... it's not about what one can google..... It's about the report given by the OP. Complaints on the raise is not the same as incidents, fining, arrests on the rise. Your two reports don't show that either.

The articles I posted show convictions that have been made in relation to illegal activity with UAV's. Your failure to comprehend that is not my problem and the biggest waste of all LOL  
2018-5-4
Use props
Bill B
lvl.4
Flight distance : 319245 ft
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-4-24 07:53

I also feel we will see new drones being sold in the future with limiters attached, which can only be removed when pilot goes through training programs.

NOPE, you see this is the very thinking that chaps my behind. Why on earth should we all have to pay for a few ignorant little fools action? What the authorities need to do is dole out massive fines and punishment for the few that break the laws, and leave the rest of us to our very capable and law abiding selves. Kinda like the FAA did with Casey Nutsack.
2018-5-4
Use props
Bulldog
lvl.4
United States

A CW Posted at 2018-5-4 14:31
The articles I posted show convictions that have been made in relation to illegal activity with UAV's. Your failure to comprehend that is not my problem and the biggest waste of all LOL

Once again.... It's about the article saying there is a "rise" in the type of activity  you posted, and the OP posted. Your reports fail to show that also..... Just posting two stories, doesn't show the past number vs present numbers of insidents......Nor does it show if those complaints were legitimate infractions..... What don't you get?
2018-5-4
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Bulldog Posted at 2018-5-4 14:46
Once again.... It's about the article saying there is a "rise" in the type of activity  you posted, and the OP posted. Your reports fail to show that also..... What don't you get?

What don't I get? LOL Probably why you're interested anyway as you don't even have a drone do you? So why waste my time!
2018-5-4
Use props
Bulldog
lvl.4
United States

A CW Posted at 2018-5-4 14:48
What don't I get? LOL Probably why you're interested anyway as you don't even have a drone do you? So why waste my time!

You are a sad little troll......
2018-5-4
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Bulldog Posted at 2018-5-4 14:49
You are a sad little troll......

You are indeed! Now stop dreaming and get saving and stop annoying people on here in the process! Bye now!
2018-5-4
Use props
Bulldog
lvl.4
United States

A CW Posted at 2018-5-4 14:53
You are indeed! Now stop dreaming and get saving and stop annoying people on here in the process! Bye now!

"Stop dreaming and get saving"........ WTF.......?
2018-5-4
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Bulldog Posted at 2018-5-4 15:15
"Stop dreaming and get saving"........ WTF.......?

Hahahahaha - bless you!
2018-5-4
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Bill B Posted at 2018-5-4 14:31
NOPE, you see this is the very thinking that chaps my behind. Why on earth should we all have to pay for a few ignorant little fools action? What the authorities need to do is dole out massive fines and punishment for the few that break the laws, and leave the rest of us to our very capable and law abiding selves. Kinda like the FAA did with Casey Nutsack.

I’m not to sure you have read my post, it’s more about the need to educate new and existing drone flyers nothing about putting restraints on anyone who has experience and who flys within the rules.

We have to do a test to become a pilot (manned) to drive a motorcycle a car heck even those in the elderly bracket have sometimes to get tested again for competence either by driving test or medical report.

Also someone burgles your house, you increase security youbuild higher walls you lose trust in the security around you so you take measures to protect yourself.

My belief is that flying should not be restricted for anyone except those not prepared to be educated in the need to fly drones safely, I believe it is up to the drone community to get their house in order before we can go looking for more freedom to fly, I don’t believe that flying over schools is right and if we as the drone community stand idly by and do nothing, then big brother will.
2018-5-4
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules