Warning! Making a drone insurance claim, something you should know
7685 20 2018-4-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
dont slow down
lvl.4
Flight distance : 574977 ft

A couple weeks ago I had a flyaway with my Phantom 3A. As many people know by now you can buy a insurance policy to cover drones against loss, theft, and fly aways. I had a $1500 policy through State Farm in the state of NC and when I lost my 3A I filed a claim for the loss. The claim was actually very easy and I received payment in a couple days. I then purchased a new Mavic Air and when I received it I called State Farm back to have them update the policy to reflect the new drone. Yesterday I received a call back from State Farm saying they could not write the new policy. Their reason was because I had a claim on a policy within the first year (I had the policy for about 11 months). So now they will not insure me for a drone anymore but did refer me to another company. I'm pretty disappointed because all of our insurance is with State Farm and it was very convenient to roll it into my monthly payment to them. So just some information for all of you to be aware of if you also have an insurance policy on your aircraft.
2018-4-24
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>
United States

My agent made me aware of this before getting my policy.  But this is great information for those who doesn’t know.
2018-4-24
Use props
Landbo
Second Officer
Flight distance : 502792 ft
Denmark

Are you tied to your insurance company ?  We others move insurance company if we feel their requirements or prices are getting too high.

Regards, Leif.
2018-4-24
Use props
dont slow down
lvl.4
Flight distance : 574977 ft

We have 7 other policies with them and they are cheaper than any other company for us so I doubt it's worth the time and effort to move 7 policies because they won't write a $60 drone policy.
2018-4-24
Use props
FlyingFish82
First Officer
Flight distance : 3662503 ft
  • >>>
United States

Good info, I wonder if anyone in here knows or uses any drone insurance in the state of Florida, and what company they use? price? thanks!

Cheers and Fly safe!
2018-4-24
Use props
Locoman
lvl.4
Flight distance : 748675 ft
United States

That is why I got Care Refresh with my MP.  Maybe I am just old school or live by different standards then some, but I don't expect an insurance company to pay for my mistakes nor stupidity. And if the crash was the result of something wrong with the MP, then it's warranty would cover. I feel that if after a year I can't fly it without crashing, then maybe I shouldn't be flying.
2018-5-1
Use props
Picanoc Jack
First Officer
Flight distance : 10337090 ft
Canada

Wish we could have State Farm up here, for 60.00 that's a good deal.
2018-5-2
Use props
dcorbo
lvl.2

United States

If you guys need help getting insurance for your drones in NY or NJ I can help you out. I work at State Farm. The policies normally cost $50 unless you have more than $2500 of drone/ equipment to cover. We also cover the liability under home/ renters insurance policies as well.

Dillon
973-479-9959
2018-5-10
Use props
3-D
Second Officer
Flight distance : 635764 ft
  • >>>
United States

i just got a quote from State Farm in NC as well.  the guy was pretty clear about the process for creating a claim, and the ramifications of doing so.  We had a good conversation.  I decided to go with State Farm insurance instead of DJI Care Refresh for 1 simple reason.  I didn't get Care Refresh within the 2 days of activating the drone.  Care Refresh seems great, but as a new pilot, I wanted coverage against accidents as well as defects.  If I make a mistake and crash, it is absolutely my fault.  I'll accept that.  but does that mean that i must pay the full price of a new Drone?  What if a hawk decides, that i'm in his/her space, and attacks my drone?  My fault?  Probably.  but DJI isn't going to replace it for that.  What if it gets stolen from my car while i'm in the convenience store?  None of these things are instances where DJI should be on the hook to replace the drone.  With no fault in the mechanics, I don't blame them one bit for not replacing.  But an insurance company is in business to accept these risks.  If paying $60 bucks a year to cover my toys gives me peace of mind, and covers me from not only  failure, but also stupidity, that's an excellent price to pay.  The only part that i'm not completely comfortable with is that if you place a claim in the first year, they may not re-write coverage.  I can see putting a limit on the amount of claims one can make (especially to cut down on fraud) but i believe they should still cover you.  
2018-5-10
Use props
dcorbo
lvl.2

United States

3-D Posted at 2018-5-10 08:30
i just got a quote from State Farm in NC as well.  the guy was pretty clear about the process for creating a claim, and the ramifications of doing so.  We had a good conversation.  I decided to go with State Farm insurance instead of DJI Care Refresh for 1 simple reason.  I didn't get Care Refresh within the 2 days of activating the drone.  Care Refresh seems great, but as a new pilot, I wanted coverage against accidents as well as defects.  If I make a mistake and crash, it is absolutely my fault.  I'll accept that.  but does that mean that i must pay the full price of a new Drone?  What if a hawk decides, that i'm in his/her space, and attacks my drone?  My fault?  Probably.  but DJI isn't going to replace it for that.  What if it gets stolen from my car while i'm in the convenience store?  None of these things are instances where DJI should be on the hook to replace the drone.  With no fault in the mechanics, I don't blame them one bit for not replacing.  But an insurance company is in business to accept these risks.  If paying $60 bucks a year to cover my toys gives me peace of mind, and covers me from not only  failure, but also stupidity, that's an excellent price to pay.  The only part that i'm not completely comfortable with is that if you place a claim in the first year, they may not re-write coverage.  I can see putting a limit on the amount of claims one can make (especially to cut down on fraud) but i believe they should still cover you.

The only reason they cancel the policy if you have a claim in the first year is to keep the company somewhat profitable. At the end of the day State Farm needs to make money to stay in business and I can guarantee you they are taking a loss on these policies as a whole. I work at an agents off in NJ and write about 50 Drones a year and we've had a 20% loss ratio in the first year. From an insurance companies prospective that's horrible and not worth the risk. I'm honestly still surprised that we can even write these policies at all. Get these policies while you still can because the price will be going up in the future or State Farm will completely exclude Drones from coverage if the amount of claims keeps up at this pace.

2018-5-16
Use props
3-D
Second Officer
Flight distance : 635764 ft
  • >>>
United States

dcorbo Posted at 2018-5-16 13:14
The only reason they cancel the policy if you have a claim in the first year is to keep the company somewhat profitable. At the end of the day State Farm needs to make money to stay in business and I can guarantee you they are taking a loss on these policies as a whole. I work at an agents off in NJ and write about 50 Drones a year and we've had a 20% loss ratio in the first year. From an insurance companies prospective that's horrible and not worth the risk. I'm honestly still surprised that we can even write these policies at all. Get these policies while you still can because the price will be going up in the future or State Farm will completely exclude Drones from coverage if the amount of claims keeps up at this pace.

yeah.  I'm hoping not to have to use it, and if i make it through a year, and don't have to use it, then great.  If i have to use it and then they cancel, then so be it.  But as long as they are willing to take the risk on me, i'm willing to pay for it.
2018-5-16
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

Thanks for heads up.
2018-5-16
Use props
djiuser_BlWJD3ktVa1V
New

United States

Wow!! this is something new to hear. I have heard about flood/water damage insurance, but having a drone insurance claim is new to hear about. I must say the wonderful idea. In an article, I have read about having a drone insurance just to keep our home safe from theft, and fly away, and to keep an eye on them. Public adjusters like Alliance public adjusters ( alliancepublicadjusters.com ) are also providing a service on a theft insurance claim, they are helping insured clients to get the maximum amount of coverage cost after they claim a policy. They personally gather all the information regarding the incident and submit it to the insurance company on behalf of the consumer.
2018-12-1
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13926112 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Excellent information to share
2018-12-1
Use props
DeuceDriv3r
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4698533 ft
United States

drone insurance should be like auto and aircraft ... the premium should be based upon experience ...

documented logbook hours, ratings, and aviation experience in real aircraft (due to better situational awareness and decision making) should obviously lower the risk while someone that plunks $5k for a inspire with zero hours should be un-insurable or at least insured under a high rate until 10 hours 'time-in-type'...

you can't get aircraft insurance without at least 10 hours 'time-in-type' why should drone insurance be any different
2018-12-1
Use props
Ronald W Conger
lvl.1
United States

I just got mine Insured under the P A P Policy from state farm 60 dollars for 1 year all I was told was if they replaced 3 or 4 of them they might start to question it .
2018-12-5
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

Ronald W Conger Posted at 12-5 19:33
I just got mine Insured under the P A P Policy from state farm 60 dollars for 1 year all I was told was if they replaced 3 or 4 of them they might start to question it .

Seems very reasonable.  I would have expected no coverage after first crash in 2-year period, or very expensive coverage say $500 per year with high deductible after first crash in 2-year period.
2018-12-5
Use props
djiuser_m26Hq4Ia8Der
New

Israel

dcorbo Posted at 5-10 07:49
If you guys need help getting insurance for your drones in NY or NJ I can help you out. I work at State Farm. The policies normally cost $50 unless you have more than $2500 of drone/ equipment to cover. We also cover the liability under home/ renters insurance policies as well.

Dillon

Hi,
I am from Israel.
Can I have a state farm insurance for my MA?
Thank you.
Asaf
2018-12-26
Use props
Brad Hazelton
lvl.1

United States

Locoman Posted at 2018-5-1 00:54
That is why I got Care Refresh with my MP.  Maybe I am just old school or live by different standards then some, but I don't expect an insurance company to pay for my mistakes nor stupidity. And if the crash was the result of something wrong with the MP, then it's warranty would cover. I feel that if after a year I can't fly it without crashing, then maybe I shouldn't be flying.

Then you dont have auto insurance? If you crash and your fault that is due to your stupidity.... drones crash for more reasons than user error... bird attacks... weather... mechanical failure.   And on top of that... theft.   Vandalism... list goes on...  not insuring is stupidity
2019-1-17
Use props
ajrulez
lvl.4
Flight distance : 447142 ft
United States

Any one has Drone insurance in CA ? Los angeles area ? I do have DJI care but I need an insurance for my Pro 2 and Inspire.
2019-1-17
Use props
Brett Brandon
lvl.4
United States

The new CAPTCHA crap is the last straw.
Im tired of DJIs crap and am removing my posts and will be on my way.
2019-1-17
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules