Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
My first flight over water was exciting...
755 12 2018-4-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
gcomfx
lvl.2
Flight distance : 119613 ft
United States

For some reason it has taken me weeks to get access to post here.  Hopefully this test post works this time.

Hi, I'm Paul...

I'm new to droning.  Started with a Spark and switched to a Mavic Air.  Still timid with most flights as I keep getting weak signal warnings, even though I can still see the drone.  I'm using an iPhone 8+ in airplane mode 95% of the time, but I now have an older iPad Air that I used successfully today.

I wanted to share my first time flying over water.  I made a rookie mistake and focused on the screen way too long trying to get a nice swooping motion down towards the water.  It appeared on my phone I was MUCH higher up than I was as there was a lag in the video.  I wish the sensors had kicked in a bit sooner to alert me of the pending doom.  Enjoy the short little video, I would love some feedback:
2018-4-24
Use props
gcomfx
lvl.2
United States

Woohoo!!!!  I was actually able to post...
2018-4-24
Use props
AG0N-Gary
Second Officer
Flight distance : 700846 ft

Can't tell you why the sensors didn't work, however, you were flying fast over water and possibly didn't have enough detail/contrast to be detected.  Remember also that you're using a WIDE ANGLE LENS and ALL objects are a lot closer than they look, especially the close-in ones.
2018-4-24
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Always a bit nervous at first but good footage
2018-4-24
Use props
Flycaster
lvl.4
United States

Water is one of the hardest things to "sense", with what is in the consumer market for drones/UAV, unless you get into the big money.
That's why every once in a while you read about a Mavic doing it best impression of the submarine Seaview.....
From what I have read, turn off the downward facing senors when over water.....
2018-4-24
Use props
dwainwayne28
lvl.4
Flight distance : 583323 ft
Trinidad and Tobago

Very ambitious indeed for a first time over water.. My advice to you is to take it slow as it's easy to get carried away in the moment. Practice, Practice Practice and before you know it you'll be making those snoop down moves quite easy!
2018-4-24
Use props
Suren
Captain
Flight distance : 13425892 ft
  • >>>
South Africa

Yup you were going quite fast over the water and the glare from the water could have confused the downward sensors. I always fly a nice safe distance above water and don't try to get to close, don't want to lose my drone there and be crying about it later
2018-4-24
Use props
Datadogie
lvl.4
Flight distance : 27028 ft

The drome sensors are not accurate over water. This has been reported many times. Same with glass so it could be to do with reflection giving wrong readings.
2018-4-24
Use props
gcomfx
lvl.2
United States

AG0N-Gary Posted at 2018-4-24 09:57
Can't tell you why the sensors didn't work, however, you were flying fast over water and possibly didn't have enough detail/contrast to be detected.  Remember also that you're using a WIDE ANGLE LENS and ALL objects are a lot closer than they look, especially the close-in ones.

I'm very guilty of forgetting I have more control of the sticks than "full throttle"... I blame cheap RC cars and cheap video games growing up. lol  I think tripod mode was made for people like me.
2018-4-24
Use props
gcomfx
lvl.2
United States

A CW Posted at 2018-4-24 10:12
Always a bit nervous at first but good footage

Thanks!  I'm a graphic designer by trade.  My creativity can get in the way as it's always more advanced than my actual ability to fly these things.  Here's one of my first videos I ever made with my Spark.  I probably should have tried some less complicated things, but I couldn't help myself.
Oh... and I should have threatened my boys about throwing objects at the drone.  My kid about clocked my Spark with a football in this one.  The sensors definitely worked when that happened.
2018-4-24
Use props
gcomfx
lvl.2
United States

dwainwayne28 Posted at 2018-4-24 10:16
Very ambitious indeed for a first time over water.. My advice to you is to take it slow as it's easy to get carried away in the moment. Practice, Practice Practice and before you know it you'll be making those snoop down moves quite easy!

It played well in my head.  I'm just VERY glad I heard the drone when I did.  Very close... but made for some sweet footage I hope to NEVER duplicate again.
2018-4-24
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft

Cool videos, thanks for sharing. Happy flying.
2018-4-24
Use props
gcomfx
lvl.2
United States

DJI Diana Posted at 2018-4-24 19:25
Cool videos, thanks for sharing. Happy flying.

Thanks!  I hope to have many more this spring, but maybe a little less exciting in the near drowning experience.  It was cool to have Dylan (UK YouTuber) do a feature of the video.
2018-4-25
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules