Battery tops cracking
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Rvrrat14
lvl.4
Flight distance : 655932 ft
United States

During preflight noticed a small crack on the battery top of my P4A.   Inspection revealed its only the top and not the battery cell.  Closer inspection shows the crack is occurring at the injection mold dimple during manufacturing.   I checked my other three batteries and two more have done it.   I contacted DJI for the tops and was told “Buy new batteries”.  

As the tops are screwed on and I super-glued the crack, there is no integrity issue at this time.  I will continue to monitor, but I can’t be the only one this is happening to.   Batteries are 9 months old.  I would have thought DJI would have offered me new tops, in which I offered to pay.  Oh well.   

Check your Phantom batteries.

3B4CB2F6-60BC-4E55-BF94-BC7B248E47EB.jpeg

2018-4-24
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

We are sorry for this case, just to verify, did the batteries fell or did the drone crash before? Or is there any error message about the battery? If yes, we don't suggest continue using it.
Besides, since the battery expired the warranty period (6 months) and battery can't be repaired, hence we are not able to provide cover changing service. Thank you for understanding.
2018-4-25
Use props
Hellsgate
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1991555 ft
Australia

I suggest you have a very close look at your batteries and look for any swelling.
Have you checked the quality of each cell in the app when drone connected?
I would tend to fly with caution and possibly use a large rubber band hooked around the rear prop arms then cross over the battery just to make sure it cant come loose during flight.
2018-4-25
Use props
KedDK
First Officer
Flight distance : 1133038 ft
Denmark

I have one looking identical to yours and a second where the crack has just reached a level where you can see it will end up the same.
It is very clear to see that they emerge from a in/outlet grate from the mold, also on your picture above.
The two batteries i see this on is not bought at the same time and not from same store so i'll guess they all have it.
2018-4-25
Use props
Rvrrat14
lvl.4
Flight distance : 655932 ft
United States

No crashes or battery swelling.   DJI needs to address this as it is clearly a manufacturing issue.  At 175.00/battery purchasing new is not an option.  Own up.  
2018-4-25
Use props
KedDK
First Officer
Flight distance : 1133038 ft
Denmark

Here is a pic of the ones i mentioned, sorry for the bad focus, still it clearly show the same crack on same position and you can just see on the right one that also this has started a crack same place, still just a very fine line. Nothing to spot on the other side but also that side has the same spot from the molding so it might show up one day.
I can't imagine they would get much worse as the plastic get thicker where the crack ends and i can't see as is there is any risk using the bat's, still annoying it happen as the batteries are not cheap at all.

cracked battery covers

cracked battery covers

2018-4-25
Use props
Genghis9
First Officer
Flight distance : 961 ft
United States

Just my opinion, but I've been convinced for some time now that a lot of the plastic parts DJI uses is substandard and does not have the integrity to hold up to the use it gets.  Either the subcontractor DJI uses is going cheap on the product or the QA standards are lacking or non-existent.  Either that, or DJI is doing so under their own manufacturing process.  I can't believe that they can't produce a plastic with more flex and has the ability to absorb the vibrations, heat, and use they get, while keeping the weight low.  
In the case of these batteries, it may be the heat they generate that is causing the breakdown (assuming they have not been dropped or involved in a crash).
Best it appears anyone can do is glue it, IF the cells themselves have not gone bad.
Fly Safe!
2018-4-25
Use props
Oldav8tor
lvl.2
United States

Thanks for the info... I'll be watching my batteries.  DJI - you should take note!

Something else you might do.... As soon as you see a crack starting, remove the cap and with a very small drill bit (#50 or similar) drill a hole at the top of the crack and then use epoxy or an appropriate adhesive to seal the crack.  The hole may stop the crack from spreading further. Assuming the battery checks out otherwise I would think it would be safe to use.
2018-4-25
Use props
Hellsgate
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1991555 ft
Australia

Makes you kinda wonder if it was just a bad batch of plastic that was used during manufacturing or wether someone is trying to cut corners and save money.
2018-4-25
Use props
Genghis9
First Officer
Flight distance : 961 ft
United States

Hellsgate Posted at 2018-4-25 19:04
Makes you kinda wonder if it was just a bad batch of plastic that was used during manufacturing or wether someone is trying to cut corners and save money.

Maybe, but if you think about it, all the cracks and other issues related to plastic ya gotta think there is a quality issue with the type and kind of plastics they are using.  I'd say if so, it is more than a bad batch as it appears to be systemic in nature throughout their product lines.  Of course you do have to sort out the items that were involved in crashes, drops, and what not.

Funny thing, when I had my first crash, it bent the front two motor arms and the plastic did not crack or break it flexed and bent.  I have often think about that when I read these types of posts.  I wonder if there were/is something to the plastics curing process that makes them more brittle over time (my bird was brand new back when)...
2018-4-25
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Rvrrat14 Posted at 2018-4-25 04:50
No crashes or battery swelling.   DJI needs to address this as it is clearly a manufacturing issue.  At 175.00/battery purchasing new is not an option.  Own up.

Sorry for this. I will forward it to the engineers to check the cause.
2018-4-26
Use props
Oldav8tor
lvl.2
United States

One cracked battery is insignificant.  A number of batteries all cracked in the same place is a priority problem that needs to be addressed by DJI!  That is, unless they don't mind having a reputation for selling expensive yet cheaply made products.  If I'm going to pay $170 for a battery I expect quality!  If I don't get it.....well, there are a lot of Drone manufacturers out there and more starting up each day.
2018-4-27
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules