New Phantom Owner
1059 25 2018-4-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
FlyboyTR
lvl.1

Hello...
Just wanted to introduce myself.  I have been a pilot for 46 years with over 3,700 hours as PIC (pilot in command).  So obviously I enjoy flying.  A couple of years ago I got the itch for a UAS and purchased a cheap drone to test the waters.  It was fun for a few days...but everything was so limited it didn't take long for me to retire it to the closet.  Last week a friend showed me his Phantom 4 and I got a little stick time.  Wow...what a difference!

Last night I ordered a Phantom 3 Advanced from DJI and will be anxiously awaiting its arrival.  We are planning a couple of trips through lower Utah and will be spending a bit of time around Zion, Bryce and the Moab area.  I am hoping that I will be able to capture some great memories with the new Phantom.

I still have a lot to learn and have been doing a lot of reading and video watching (learning to take a lot of that info with a grain of salt...so to speak).  Initially, I am interested in learning all I can about protecting the drone from newbie mistakes.  I completed my FAA registration this morning.  I will look forward to learning from this group and I know that I will have questions.
2018-4-25
Use props
Mark The Droner
First Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

Are you sure you ordered your P3A from DJI?  I thought they had stopped selling that model directly, although I know you can possibly get it from an authorized DJI retailer.

https://www.dji.com/phantom-3-ad ... e&from=landing_page

Welcome to the site!  
2018-4-25
Use props
Eric13
Second Officer
Flight distance : 13982031 ft
  • >>>

Hi Flyboy,
I wish you a lot of good time with your drone!

When I read which places you want to visit:
Note that Zion and Bryce are National Parks where Drones are not allowed. Same applies to Arches National Park near Moab.

Cheers  Eric
2018-4-25
Use props
fans808b1d91
lvl.3
United States

please be aware that you can not fly in national parks... I know the places with all the great scenery is off limits!
2018-4-25
Use props
Genghis9
First Officer
Flight distance : 961 ft
United States

Ditto to the NP restrictions...if you haven't already read Part 101 & 107 info (even if you are not going to pick up the 107 cert).  Also read NPS circulars about the restrictions and many other National areas have restrictions too like monuments etc.

Welcome aboard and enjoy!
Fly Safe!

2018-4-25
Use props
FlyboyTR
lvl.1

Mark The Droner Posted at 2018-4-25 06:53
Are you sure you ordered your P3A from DJI?  I thought they had stopped selling that model directly, although I know you can possibly get it from an authorized DJI retailer.

https://www.dji.com/phantom-3-ad ... e&from=landing_page

Mark,
Yes, ordered from DJI.  It is a refurbished unit sold with new warranty.  I didn't see any of them listed as new.  Thanks!  
2018-4-25
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

FlyboyTR Posted at 2018-4-25 14:57
Mark,
Yes, ordered from DJI.  It is a refurbished unit sold with new warranty.  I didn't see any of them listed as new.  Thanks!

Whatever you do, do not update any of the software or firmware when you receive the unit, take it out and fly it first, learn how it works.
2018-4-25
Use props
FlyboyTR
lvl.1

Thanks about the info regarding the National Parks.  It seems that Utah has some exceptions but you have to buy a drone permit from them.  But...there are areas that are still off-limits.  We do a lot of overlanding when we travel...so we will be well off the beaten path most of the time.  Even so...I will follow all applicable laws.  There are some amazing places outside of the NP system.
2018-4-25
Use props
Hellsgate
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1991555 ft
Australia

Welcome to the forum
2018-4-25
Use props
FlyboyTR
lvl.1

Geebax Posted at 2018-4-25 14:59
Whatever you do, do not update any of the software or firmware when you receive the unit, take it out and fly it first, learn how it works.

Thanks.  I have reading about all the update debacles.  Some of that is a bit bothersome...at least to me.  I will follow your advise and not do any updates.  My original plan was to so updates before...  again, thanks for the heads up!
2018-4-25
Use props
Aeromirage
First Officer
Flight distance : 1778045 ft
  • >>>

Welcome aboard!!!
Enjoy, and fly safe.
2018-4-25
Use props
Genghis9
First Officer
United States

FlyboyTR Posted at 2018-4-25 15:00
Thanks about the info regarding the National Parks.  It seems that Utah has some exceptions but you have to buy a drone permit from them.  But...there are areas that are still off-limits.  We do a lot of overlanding when we travel...so we will be well off the beaten path most of the time.  Even so...I will follow all applicable laws.  There are some amazing places outside of the NP system.

A couple of very important tips for "overlanding" i.e. being out of cell range or internet access, make sure you log in to the GO 4 app before you lose cell coverage or wifi and then do not log out.  
If you do log out or you are not logged in, then you will be unable to use the app and video telemetry it provides.  This little tid bit has bit more than a few folks after they are out in the wilderness and/or off the beaten path.
Also, FYI, the issue with not flying in NPs etc. has everything to do with not being permitted to takeoff or land on NP lands.  What this means is if you take off from private lands or non park lands that permit public access you can fly over the park lands and take pics.  Be aware though that if you land, crash, or otherwise on to park lands all your gear can be confiscated or at least the stuff on the lands and you could be fined.  What this means is if you can positively establish your position without question and can see or possibly fly to the area you want to photo without being on park land you can.  Keep in mind that you may still run the risk of some rangers not knowing this loophole or others turning you in because of the same issue.  Also, you could still run up against the FAA if you are found to be flying too close to people or the landmarks/monuments etc.  So, if you are going to consider this be conservative and give everyone and anything a wide birth.  The reason for this, the NPS does not own the airspace over the park lands, the FAA does, at least for now.  Why we can't fly there, because morons can't use common sense and fly responsibly.
Enjoy and Fly Safe!
2018-4-25
Use props
FlyboyTR
lvl.1

Genghis9 Posted at 2018-4-25 18:44
A couple of very important tips for "overlanding" i.e. being out of cell range or internet access, make sure you log in to the GO 4 app before you lose cell coverage or wifi and then do not log out.  
If you do log out or you are not logged in, then you will be unable to use the app and video telemetry it provides.  This little tid bit has bit more than a few folks after they are out in the wilderness and/or off the beaten path.
Also, FYI, the issue with not flying in NPs etc. has everything to do with not being permitted to takeoff or land on NP lands.  What this means is if you take off from private lands or non park lands that permit public access you can fly over the park lands and take pics.  Be aware though that if you land, crash, or otherwise on to park lands all your gear can be confiscated or at least the stuff on the lands and you could be fined.  What this means is if you can positively establish your position without question and can see or possibly fly to the area you want to photo without being on park land you can.  Keep in mind that you may still run the risk of some rangers not knowing this loophole or others turning you in because of the same issue.  Also, you could still run up against the FAA if you are found to be flying too close to people or the landmarks/monuments etc.  So, if you are going to consider this be conservative and give everyone and anything a wide birth.  The reason for this, the NPS does not own the airspace over the park lands, the FAA does, at least for now.  Why we can't fly there, because morons can't use common sense and fly responsibly.

OH...WOW.. Thanks for all the info.  I was not aware of the issue regarding being logged into the GO app for video telemetry to work.  We visit a lot of places that don't even get sunlight...much less a cellular signal!     

I plan to use my new Samsung Galaxy Tab A 8" tablet with my P3A.  It is non-cellular (wifi only).  I purchased this use during our off-road trips for GPS navigation, tracking and logging.  Since it is not loaded with useless apps, I am hoping it will work well with the DJI system.  I am currently checking to see if it will keep me logged in without a wifi signal if I turn the unit off and back on.  Hopefully it will...since it would have no communication signal, I would assume it would still think it is logged in.

Please know how much I appreciate all the info and guidance.  As a pilot, I have very high regards for airspace and never want to be in violation of the regs!  I am SO glad I chose to join this forum!  Thanks again!
2018-4-26
Use props
Genghis9
First Officer
United States

FlyboyTR Posted at 2018-4-26 05:42
OH...WOW.. Thanks for all the info.  I was not aware of the issue regarding being logged into the GO app for video telemetry to work.  We visit a lot of places that don't even get sunlight...much less a cellular signal!     

I plan to use my new Samsung Galaxy Tab A 8" tablet with my P3A.  It is non-cellular (wifi only).  I purchased this use during our off-road trips for GPS navigation, tracking and logging.  Since it is not loaded with useless apps, I am hoping it will work well with the DJI system.  I am currently checking to see if it will keep me logged in without a wifi signal if I turn the unit off and back on.  Hopefully it will...since it would have no communication signal, I would assume it would still think it is logged in.

Let me clarify something, the telemetry still works but you simply won't be able to see it using the GO 4 app.  You might be able to use something like litchi and it will work logged in or not, but I don't know that for sure.  I do know that not being logged in to GO 4 will leave you locked out without having wifi to unlock it.
Your Tab should work fine and yes if you log in via wifi and don't log out and even if you shut down and then power back on you should remain good to go.  Recommend when you are using the GO 4 app that you shut down everything else to avoid it getting overtaxed and causing you issues.  GO 4 is a resource hog.
Enjoy!
2018-4-26
Use props
Al S. Alice's Handler
lvl.4
Flight distance : 50259 ft

My wifi only tablet works fine with the P3 pro. The map won't show details (satellite view) unless you stpre the while you have wifi. Mine was a refurbished unit too, it's been perfect on the latest firmware and the Go 3 app.
2018-4-26
Use props
Al S. Alice's Handler
lvl.4
Flight distance : 50259 ft

I also turn off automatic updates. When you turn on the wifi, expect all of the built in apps to update. Makes my tab slow and laggy until they finish. I do it when I'm not going to fly.
2018-4-26
Use props
Hurley1718
First Officer
Flight distance : 549295 ft
  • >>>
United States

Welcome and we look forward to seeing some of your captures.
2018-4-26
Use props
DEUCEDOG
First Officer
Flight distance : 2501575 ft

Welcome ... good luck with your new bird  , fly safe and don't forget to share your  captures with us
2018-4-26
Use props
FlyboyTR
lvl.1

Thanks to all for the warm welcomes and continued suggestions!

A friend of mine dropped by earlier and showed me his Mavic.  Wow...much, much smaller!  The CFO (Chief Financial Officer) was home and when she saw the Mavic...and its compact travel size, she  suggested I cancel the P3A order and get a Mavic!   Hummmmmm... more things to think about...although it is nice to know she is on-board with this adventure!  I'm sure there will be more discussion about this after dinner.
2018-4-26
Use props
FlyboyTR
lvl.1

Well, we talked about the Mavic and the CFO said cancel the order for the Phantom (since it has not yet shipped) and get the Mavic.  Got home from dinner to find a notification that the Phantom has shipped.  So...Phantom 3 Advanced it shall be!  

I am now looking at a few accessories to help protect the unit, to include prop guards for a while...  Are there any advantages to the gimbal protector and the leg extensions?  I know the CFO wants to order a few goodies...and I want to be able to point her in the right direction.  Thanks again!
2018-4-26
Use props
Spacetrakker
First Officer
Flight distance : 115384 ft

Hi and welcome onboard from OZ, "down Under".

I have enjoyed my Phantom 3 Advanced for the past 2 years and still love it!  After reading about the many disasters people have experienced with updates and being a retired from the computer side of the aerospace industry, my instinct was that unless the aircraft had problems, or an update delivered a desirable new feature,   I would take the "safe" option of ignoring the "startup update reminder".  

To this day I've never updated and the bird has performed faultlessly since new using both DJI Go and Litchi flight control software.

Here in Oz we have similar no-fly restrictions regarding national parks etc. but, like the USA we also have plenty of  unrestricted exciting and beautiful places to capture the most exhilarating videos !

Best wishes with your new  adventures !

John
2018-4-26
Use props
FlyboyTR
lvl.1

Spacetrakker Posted at 2018-4-26 17:18
Hi and welcome onboard from OZ, "down Under".

I have enjoyed my Phantom 3 Advanced for the past 2 years and still love it!  After reading about the many disasters people have experienced with updates and being a retired from the computer side of the aerospace industry, my instinct was that unless the aircraft had problems, or an update delivered a desirable new feature,   I would take the "safe" option of ignoring the "startup update reminder".  

Thanks.  I think I will be following that advise of not updating anything...at least until I can learn the machine and then determine if an update will provide a needed/wanted benefit.
2018-4-26
Use props
Genghis9
First Officer
United States

FlyboyTR Posted at 2018-4-26 16:08
Well, we talked about the Mavic and the CFO said cancel the order for the Phantom (since it has not yet shipped) and get the Mavic.  Got home from dinner to find a notification that the Phantom has shipped.  So...Phantom 3 Advanced it shall be!  

I am now looking at a few accessories to help protect the unit, to include prop guards for a while...  Are there any advantages to the gimbal protector and the leg extensions?  I know the CFO wants to order a few goodies...and I want to be able to point her in the right direction.  Thanks again!

Don't recommend the quote gimbal protector...if not designed correctly and installed correctly it can and will interfere with the downward sensors which can lead to many other problems during a flight or landing.  Also if you end up in a near crash but manage to recover the protector may have moved and will now cause problems.  
Your best bet in protecting the gimbal is flying safe and being careful and cautious when landing.
2018-4-26
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Welcome! Glad to see you have got the support from CFO.
Do not forget to share us with your works.
2018-4-26
Use props
Mountaindrone
First Officer
Flight distance : 26618251 ft
  • >>>

Welcome and fly safe !
2018-4-26
Use props
FlyboyTR
lvl.1

Genghis9,  Thanks for the tip regarding the gimbal protector...will keep that in mind!

DJI Susan & Mountaindrone,
Thanks for the welcome.  After 30 amazing years, the CFO and the CEO have an amazing working relationship.   I am blessed to know that the CFO still has a place in the books for playtime, toys (Phantom), travel and adventure!  LOL  Life is good!

Thanks again to all for the support and encouragement!
2018-4-27
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules