Inspire 1 Charging Hub fell apart!
1241 4 2018-4-26
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
DAP.UAV
lvl.1
Flight distance : 3016014 ft
United States

I have been a DJI customer for over 2 years, almost 3.  I have a Phantom 3 Pro, Mavic Pro, Inspire 1 Pro Black Ed w/ 4 different lens. as well as a complete OSMO setup.  I have been very impressed with the quality and workmanship.  I have had a few problems, bricked TB-47/48s and so forth, but otherwise it's been great.  I have a Charging Hub for each UAV.  Now my Inspire Charging Hub is over a year old, I admit, but I only use it at home on a special table used only for that purpose.  I have 8 TB batteries with my oldest one having about 65 charges on it.  I have had no problems with this unit.  Today I could not get 2 out of 4 batteries to connect properly.  The safety guard over the prongs became stuck down.  I released them but still could not get the battery to seat properly and connect.  So I picked up the hub to inspected it and discovered that there were loose parts bouncing around inside.  Since it is long past any warranty I decided to open it up and investigate.  Unfortunately I discovered 4 screws had fallen out of the circuit board, along with the broken pieces of plastic, which held them inplace, on the bottom. The rest of the screws designed to hold the board in place were ALL loose sitting in broken plastic foundations.  What the heck is going on here?  It is now trash.  This hub has never left this table, never dropped, never had a problem placing the batts. into their respective slots.  It just fell apart with delicate normal use.  Has anyone else seen such a thing with any DJI product?  Now my confidence in my equipment is now in question.  What next is going to just fall apart?  I am really suprised and disappointed.  I can understand something breaking with alot of use and abuse, but I treat all my equipment like it is made out of glass.  These plastic threaded mounts just disintergrated with normal, very careful use.  I am posting this to see what will DJI have to say about this, if anything, but also I am curious if anyone else has had similar product failures? Please let me know.  Thanks.

Rick
2018-4-26
Use props
flighttime1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 906352 ft
United States

You are not alone with the Charging hub. I had the exact same issue with mine and it also never left my charging table or suffered any abuse at all. I only had one terminal break and the clue was the same, loose parts rattling around inside. I just put it aside and don't bother with it any longer. It only got used when I had to charge batteries unattended, which was rare so it wasn't very helpful in the first place. I will say that it hasn't made me feel any different about the rest of my DJI gear. I'm going to stick with the hub is garbage and leave it at that. ;-)
2018-4-29
Use props
DAP.UAV
lvl.1
Flight distance : 3016014 ft
United States

It is interesting that I am not the only one with a similar manufacturing defect/design with the Charging Hub.  I do think we should all let DJI know about these issues so that DJI may have an opportunity to rectify this problem within their manufacturing process.  I did email DJI a long rebuttal responding to the way in which they responded to my issue, "Just buy another one".  That's just not good business practice.  Maybe DJI is getting too big for its britches.   We will wait and see what they do next.  Thanks for the reply.
2018-4-29
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1831050 ft
  • >>>

That makes 2 (two) reported cases of broken TB47/48 charging hub. Together with unreported ones it will make 10, perhaps 20 cases of hub failure, I assume. Mine is OK by far after 2 seasons of use. Considering statistical fact that every manufacturer (even the most renowned) will design and release an evident lemon, there's no reason for panic whatsoever. IMHO, naturally ...
2018-4-29
Use props
Henry M.Y.
lvl.4
Flight distance : 11548839 ft
  • >>>
Hong Kong

DAP.UAV Posted at 2018-4-29 12:37
It is interesting that I am not the only one with a similar manufacturing defect/design with the Charging Hub.  I do think we should all let DJI know about these issues so that DJI may have an opportunity to rectify this problem within their manufacturing process.  I did email DJI a long rebuttal responding to the way in which they responded to my issue, "Just buy another one".  That's just not good business practice.  Maybe DJI is getting too big for its britches.   We will wait and see what they do next.  Thanks for the reply.

The 6 tiny screws on the sides of the charging hub were factory threaded into the very small section of plastic of the top cover. Over time, some of those screws will become loose, and the retightening of them may end with stripped threads if not careful enough like me.

The screws inside the hub that hold the PC board are self tapping screws which were screwed into holes of studs protruding from the bottom half of the charging hub. I found that they had been, to my believe in my case, overtightened in factory which developed stress crack in the plastic studs. I don't know whether I was lucky or not - one of the charging ports of mine developed bad contact which led me open up for repairing and this eventually revealed to me the cracked (but not broken) studs. ABS cement was applied to fix the cracks.

You may try repairing the broken plastic with ABS cement and carefully retighten the screws carefully. If the PC board was not short-circuited by the bouncing screws, you should be able to fix your problem. It will not be a complicating job.

Good luck.

Henry
2018-4-30
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules