10088 17 2018-4-26
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
3-D
Second Officer
Flight distance : 635764 ft
  • >>>
United States

A friend of mine still has a Phantom 1.  He hasn't flown it for almost a year.  After i got my Mavic Air, he decided he wanted to take his Phantom out for a spin.  When he tried, he could not get the app to connect to the quad.  It seems like there is only support for the P2 and above.
Does anyone still have the ability to fly their Phantom 1?  what version of DJI Go are you using?

seriously...  asking for a friend.  
2018-4-26
Use props
Hellsgate
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1991555 ft
Australia

I didnt think the phantom one actually used a smart phone at all.
Could be wrong but camera is usually a go pro remote has no mounting for a phone. So in theory there is no app.
Are you sure its a phantom 1
2018-4-26
Use props
3-D
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

He says it's Phantom Advanced.    He said that the camera is part of the drone, and that he does need the app.
I've asked him to bring it to me, so that i can see what's what.  when i look at the DJI Phantom line, the first one i see with Advanced in the name is the Phantom 3.  The release date and the approximate cost at release sort of jives with the conversations we've had, but until i actually put my hands on it, i can't say for certain.  I can only go by what he's said.  He seems pretty certain that it's prior to P3.
2018-4-26
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13864580 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

3-D Posted at 2018-4-26 10:23
He says it's Phantom Advanced.    He said that the camera is part of the drone, and that he does need the app.
I've asked him to bring it to me, so that i can see what's what.  when i look at the DJI Phantom line, the first one i see with Advanced in the name is the Phantom 3.  The release date and the approximate cost at release sort of jives with the conversations we've had, but until i actually put my hands on it, i can't say for certain.  I can only go by what he's said.  He seems pretty certain that it's prior to P3.

Phantom 1 dates back to January 2013. Is his drone 5 years old?
2018-4-26
Use props
3-D
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

A CW Posted at 2018-4-26 10:25
Phantom 1 dates back to January 2013. Is his drone 5 years old?

So further conversation, and research has yielded more information.  (he found shipping email from amazon. )

He does in fact have a Phantom 3 Advanced.  
So the question changes from  why can't he fly the Phantom 1 to why can't he fly the phantom 3 with the DJI Go app.

I did suggest that he make sure he's using the app that is designated for 'before P4'

Is there a way to update the firmware directly from a PC like the DJI assistant?  Could old firmware stop the app from connecting?
2018-4-26
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

3-D Posted at 2018-4-26 10:45
So further conversation, and research has yielded more information.  (he found shipping email from amazon. )

He does in fact have a Phantom 3 Advanced.  

There are two DJI app versions - GO4 and GO - he won't be able to use GO4 with the P3A (the one you do with the MA) - he'll need the older GO version which is still available on the app store for download.
2018-4-26
Use props
Landbo
Second Officer
Flight distance : 502792 ft
Denmark

As far as I know, Phantom 1 and 2 has mounted an Gopro camera on the belly, assuming there were cameras on the drone. It was after Phantom 2 that the camera was fixed on the drone and that you need to use DJIGO.

Regards Leif.
2018-4-26
Use props
3-D
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

A CW Posted at 2018-4-26 10:48
There are two DJI app versions - GO4 and GO - he won't be able to use GO4 with the P3A (the one you do with the MA) - he'll need the older GO version which is still available on the app store for download.

yes.  and i specifically pointed that out and made sure that he was using the proper version.  DJI GO and NOT DJI Go4.

he's bringing it to me tomorrow, so i guess i'll find out the rest of the story then.

Thanks for taking the time, and i'm sorry i have probably wasted it.
2018-4-26
Use props
3-D
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Landbo Posted at 2018-4-26 10:52
As far as I know, Phantom 1 and 2 has mounted an Gopro camera on the belly, assuming there were cameras on the drone. It was after Phantom 2 that the camera was fixed on the drone and that you need to use DJIGO.

Regards Leif.

you are correct.  we were able to establish that:
a) it is a Phantom 3 Advanced
b) he doesn't know what he owns
c) i have to verify everything he says from now on.
2018-4-26
Use props
Landbo
Second Officer
Flight distance : 502792 ft
Denmark

3-D Posted at 2018-4-26 10:58

I did not write so fast. I see you found out how it was related.

Good flight and thanks for the feedback, Leif.   
2018-4-26
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

3-D Posted at 2018-4-26 10:56
yes.  and i specifically pointed that out and made sure that he was using the proper version.  DJI GO and NOT DJI Go4.

he's bringing it to me tomorrow, so i guess i'll find out the rest of the story then.

No probs - as long as he gets it working
2018-4-26
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Thanks for keeping us updated. It is recommended to download the right APP from here: https://www.dji.com/phantom-3-adv/info?site=brandsite&from=insite_search#downloads

Also, the P3A doesn't support to upgrade via DJI Assistant 2. You can power on the drone, controller and connect the APP to read the current version in About page.
DJI GO.png
2018-4-26
Use props
sky wombat
First Officer
Flight distance : 1454078 ft
  • >>>

3-D Posted at 2018-4-26 10:58

tell him it's a P1 and make him an offer.
2018-4-27
Use props
Hellsgate
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1991555 ft
Australia

sky wombat Posted at 2018-4-27 00:08
tell him it's a P1 and make him an offer.

Hahaha ill buy his p1 for $100
2018-4-27
Use props
3-D
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

@skywombat @hellsgate  That is actually where this was going to end up.  I seriously thought about making him an offer for it.  First, it would be wrong as hell to dupe him like that.  Second, I work with him, and wouldn't be able to look him in the face after stealing his drone from him.  Third, we found out together that it was a P3 and not a P1, so that cat's out of the bag!  I may still make him an offer, i mean, i could do worse than having a P3 and a Mavic Air, right??
2018-4-27
Use props
3-D
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

DJI Susan Posted at 2018-4-26 18:45
Thanks for keeping us updated. It is recommended to download the right APP from here: https://www.dji.com/phantom-3-adv/info?site=brandsite&from=insite_search#downloads

Also, the P3A doesn't support to upgrade via DJI Assistant 2. You can power on the drone, controller and connect the APP to read the current version in About page.

ok, thanks.  we'll see how this goes!
2018-4-27
Use props
3-D
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

As an update, my friend is able to fly the P3A now, but still hasn't been able to update the firmware.  He's now got the download that  Susan recommended.  he's going to try that tonight.

Thanks for the assistance.  

And yes... there may be a gently used Phantom3Advanced in my near future.  
So is this drone life going to remain this addicting?  i mean, i'm only 2 weeks in and i'm already looking for my second drone?  This can't be healthy.
2018-4-27
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

3-D Posted at 2018-4-27 11:01
As an update, my friend is able to fly the P3A now, but still hasn't been able to update the firmware.  He's now got the download that  Susan recommended.  he's going to try that tonight.

Thanks for the assistance.  

That's all right! Please let us know if there is anything else we can help.
2018-5-4
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules