Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Aircraft warming up
12Next >
17181 47 2015-5-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
vmp
lvl.3

United States

I read somewhere that doing an IMU calibration would help fix the problem of the horizon not being straight. I performed an IMU calibration and it appeared to have finished in less than 2 minutes. Ever since doing the IMU calibration, every time I turn on the P3P, it now says "aircraft is warming up" in the status bar. It shows it there for 2-3 minutes and then it is basically ready and I can see the status changes to green. I am not sure if that is normal or not. Is anywhere else seeing this?
2015-5-9
Use props
FantomDK
lvl.4

Denmark

That is normal (I think). Mine does it too.

Are you sure it only did it after the IMU calibration? I have a weird feeling as well, that it takes longer now. But I'm not sure.

I'm also curious to learn more about this "IMU warming up"-thing.
2015-5-9
Use props
vmp
lvl.3

United States

FantomDK Posted at 2015-5-10 08:06

Are you sure it only did it after the IMU calibration?  ...

I did not notice it before I did the IMU calibration. Prior to the calibration, I would turn it on and there would be no mention of the aircraft warming up.

I was not sure if the reason why it is warming up now is because the IMU calibration finished too quickly and it needed to be redone.

Thanks for letting me know that you are experiencing the same. I have not seen anyone else mention it, so I thought it was an odd case.
2015-5-9
Use props
wanccie
lvl.2

United States

vmp Posted at 2015-5-10 08:12
I did not notice it before I did the IMU calibration. Prior to the calibration, I would turn it on ...

Me too.... and never noticed until I did the calibration.  Any ideas??

2015-5-9
Use props
john_barker
lvl.2

United Kingdom

I can confirm that I also notice excessively long, well certainly longer than before IMU calibration warmup times.  I performed the calibration on a confirmed flat table hoping to fix quite a big skew on the camera, sadly it did not fix the skew and injected this new warmup issue.  The P3 seems to be flying well though I am still in low level begginner flight mode as I build confidence...
2015-5-10
Use props
gurnpj
lvl.2
Flight distance : 103609 ft
United States

So I'd hoped that the time between powering up the P3 and actually getting it in the air with GPS and the green go ahead light would have been a lot quicker but with experience the last couple days it feels like the time needed for the P3 has been longer then the P2. For several minutes the Pilot app tells me "IMU Warming Up" and takes longer then expected to be ready to fly. Seems this either from update 1.1.8 or my IMU Calibration. Hope it gets fixed soon.
2015-5-10
Use props
Dataway
lvl.2
Flight distance : 17152 ft
United States

Intersting I have not done any IMU Calibration and have a few flights on the latest firmware and I am not seeing the Warming up ... Message that everyone is reporting...
2015-5-10
Use props
vmp
lvl.3

United States

Dataway Posted at 2015-5-11 05:49
Intersting I have not done any IMU Calibration and have a few flights on the latest firmware and I a ...

If that's the case, then it  only happens after the IMU calibration is performed for the first time.
2015-5-10
Use props
mikev9999
lvl.1

United States

My local dealer performed the IMU Calibration on mine today and it now also displays the "Warm-up" message. Takes about a minute more. So far that's the only difference.
2015-5-10
Use props
pete1144
lvl.3

United States

I've been wondering about this since I have been having these "warm-up" issues. I couldn't find anyone complaining about it...so I thought maybe something was wrong with my P3. Now I'm seeing more and more discussion about it. So, as they say...misery loves company. Now, if I could only understand these alerts that keep harping about my ultrasonic device and tell me to land immediately...and I'm not even in the air.
2015-5-10
Use props
Gary C
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1710938 ft
  • >>>
United States

Same here, did the calibration after watching this thread and I get the same message now. Well I guess better calibrated than not calibrated and a little longer wait time. Mine is 3-4 minutes and I'm in Florida where it's already too warm....LOL
2015-5-10
Use props
FantomDK
lvl.4

Denmark

Dataway Posted at 2015-5-11 05:49
Intersting I have not done any IMU Calibration and have a few flights on the latest firmware and I a ...

VERY interesting.

Sounds like something DJI should look into for the next firmware upgrade.

Lets hope they are listening?
2015-5-11
Use props
vmp
lvl.3

United States

FantomDK Posted at 2015-5-12 10:06
VERY interesting.

Sounds like something DJI should look into for the next firmware upgrade.

I agree. I flew several times without the P3 warming up (prior to IMU calibration) and had no issues. It would be nice to know what exactly is happening during the warm up phase.
2015-5-11
Use props
1337brian
lvl.1

United States

Can confirm, never had the warming up (8 flights) before performing IMU calibration. Now it says warming up every time. I have noticed if I re calibrate the compass it speeds things up.
2015-5-11
Use props
tokon
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1732707 ft
Germany

Do you have also noticed an IMU Error for a few seconds while the IMU is warming up? At the end of the warming up everything is ok, no error, sensor values ok.
This is what I have also noticed since the warming up is taking a longer time.
2015-5-11
Use props
tofman126
New

Netherlands

I have the same, before IMU calibration I have never had to wait for warming up.
Now I think it is 3 - 4 minutes before it is ready.

Can I callibrate the compass when the aircraft is warming up?
I haven't noticed IMU error while warming up.
2015-5-12
Use props
FantomDK
lvl.4

Denmark

tofman126 Posted at 2015-5-12 16:37
I have the same, before IMU calibration I have never had to wait for warming up.
Now I think it is 3 ...

Good question.

My gut instinct would say that it would be best to leave it sitting still while IMU is warming up.

A few time I did turn the P3 on while I was walking towards the place I would take off - to cut off a little of the IMU-time. I did not notice any issues with that - though it might record your HomePoint a bit too early if you do it too soon. So just beware of that if experimenting.

-

Buy your DJI-gear, batteries, cases by using this link - it'll help me out

2015-5-17
Use props
Gatorone30
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1145489 ft
United States

I think this is normal. Mine does this to. i just wait till it is warmed up then fly. I love my P3 it rocks. I have 10 flights on our job site and the video is awesome.
2015-5-17
Use props
kevintate9
New

United Kingdom

After performing IMU calibration mine shows too but motors will start and then immediately shows green safe to fly.
2015-5-17
Use props
jgraham103
lvl.1

United States

I did an IMU calibration on mine this morning for the first time. Have over 30 flights and not seen the warming up issue until now. After the warming up period, came up, oddly, in  p-opti mode, but I would swear it was green gps ready to fly before I took off. Very erratic flying only got it 2 to 3 feet off the ground and  set it down. Couldn't get props to shut off by holding throttle down. It flipped over props still spinning at speed and both sticks in shut it down. Luckily, only scrapes to the props. However, video is shutting off after 3-8 sec now. Seems like the video started shutting down after the calibration because I was going to see video of this thing flipping over but it shut off after 4 sec. Before I landed. Not to be one to give up, I jumped right back on the horse after it synced to p-gps mode and flew a couple hundred feet high and 900 feet away. Seemed smooth enough but reacting really fast. Video not acting right I turn it on it shuts itself off after a few seconds. While landing, still in p-gps mode, the controls seemed really exaggerated. It was windy too and backed into a tree branch and fell about 10 feet. Cracked the lens and broke a prop. Interesting how I've flown more than 30  flights with no issues and now I feel like I better put in back in beginner mode and start all over again. I wouldn't suggest doing an IMU calibration unless support is directing you to.
2015-5-17
Use props
jgraham103
lvl.1

United States

jgraham103 Posted at 2015-5-18 02:54
I did an IMU calibration on mine this morning for the first time. Have over 30 flights and not seen  ...

Update: I changed all the props. I did another IMU calibration and checked all my settings and everything seemed in order. Still getting warming up message. While attempting to take off, looked like the controller was in mode 1. Settings said mode 2, but left stick forward the aircraft was tilting up. Back and it would tilt back. Right stick forward was definately throttle. Tried to change in settings to mode 1 since it said it was at mode 2 but wouldn't change. Changed to mode 3 fine. changed back to mode 1 and that worked. Changed back to mode 2 and everything seemed fine. Took off flew 1300 feet away at 397 feet high. Turned video on and took 9 min of video with out problems. Just as smooth as before. Wonder if it jumped into mode 1 before and that's why it was flying erratic and I flipped it?
2015-5-17
Use props
playab0yyy
lvl.1
Flight distance : 22969 ft
United States

Had 13 flights on my P3P. Also had the slightly tilted horizon image. Did the IMU calibration. Took about 3-5 minutes. Then did the gimbal calibration. I believe my image issue is corrected, but now I do get the "Warming up" for only about 25 seconds when turning on the P3P. Am I the only one who thinks maybe this warming up thing was just an overlooked startup procedure that DJI actually meant to be there, and they just didn't get it put in place until one of the recent updates? Also, has anyone tried flying their P3 for maybe 5 minutes, bringing it down, turning it off, then immediately turning it back on to see if the warming up thing still happens? Maybe it won't at that point because it'll already be warmed up. Idk, but I'm not worried about mine warming up since it's only 25 seconds. Also, I'm in Florida, so it's already VERY warm here. I'd guess some cooler areas might need a little longer to warm up.
2015-6-6
Use props
vmp
lvl.3

United States

playab0yyy Posted at 2015-6-7 07:46
Had 13 flights on my P3P. Also had the slightly tilted horizon image. Did the IMU calibration. Took  ...

Have you looked at the camera during the warm up procedure? Mine appears to move to a specific position that is not centered and then very slowly centers itself. It usually finishes warming up after the camera is centered.

I don't think people notice that because their P3 is usually on the ground while warming up and they are not staring at the camera closely.
2015-6-6
Use props
jack1144
lvl.3

Canada

There are other posts about this that indicate a possible solution.
Cooling down the Phantom 3 prior to doing the IMU calibration.
Some have used a fan and/or air conditioning.
Wonder if the temp that the Phantom was at when the calibration was done has to be reached.
Hence the varying warmups.
If done cooler than the present temperature... no warm up.
Just wondering.
2015-6-6
Use props
playab0yyy
lvl.1
United States

vmp Posted at 2015-6-7 10:17
Have you looked at the camera during the warm up procedure? Mine appears to move to a specific pos ...

VMP - Yes!! I noticed that too! The camera being slightly off centered, then moving very slowly to being centered. Weird!
2015-6-6
Use props
playab0yyy
lvl.1
United States

jack1144 Posted at 2015-6-7 10:57
There are other posts about this that indicate a possible solution.
Cooling down the Phantom 3 prior ...

Very interesting idea. Sounds very possible to me. If my warm up took minutes, I'd retry the IMU calibration and cool the P3 first, like you're talking about. But since mine only takes about 25 seconds to warm up, I'm just gonna let it be. I like your thinking though. Makes great sense!
2015-6-6
Use props
dentin11
lvl.3
Flight distance : 155646 ft
United States

Yes, me too. All was fine till I did the IMU calibration. Never had a warmup issue,  none!  Lets all hope DJI remedies this soon, its just frustrating, bird flies fine otherwise.
2015-6-6
Use props
peter.isiqhalo
lvl.1

South Africa

1337brian Posted at 2015-5-12 10:14
Can confirm, never had the warming up (8 flights) before performing IMU calibration. Now it says war ...

well i had the whole bang shoot of errores, took the device back to the dealer and found out where to calibrate the IMU......... well, next thing i had both aircraft warming up and IMU warming up which is a total stuff up as it reduces flying time on an already low fly time (glad i have 5 batteries now)
2015-6-8
Use props
Flightgeist
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1347192 ft
Peru

I also had no problems until preforming an IMU calibration on my P3 Pro.  Now warmup time is 3+ minutes before every flight.  Extremely frustrating.
2015-6-17
Use props
dbeck
lvl.4

United States

Yep same here, as above
2015-6-17
Use props
Rob88
lvl.3

Canada

IMU calibration must be done when the aircraft is cold, not warmed up.  If you live in Alaska, put it outside for a few minutes.  If you live in Florida, put it in the fridge.  Enough said . . . . their are a number of other threads already on this subject.
2015-6-17
Use props
nofearmx
lvl.3

United States

The IMU is a very sensitive sensor. If you have excessive "warm up" times it's because the IMU starts warming up as soon as you turn on your Phantom. It has to reach the temperature you calibrated it at before it will let you fly. That is why it is recommended to do a cold IMU calibration. I would not recommend doing it in a fridge as this might invite condensation in the electronics. The best way to do it for your area is to set it outside in the coolest time (night usually) for about 30 minutes. Have the remote and tablet ready, literally take your P3 back set it on a level surface, try to select the calibration as fast as possible. As the internal temperature will climb fast. Trust me if you do it cold and fast your start up "warm up" time will be drastically reduced.
Just my two cents...
2015-6-17
Use props
bigjim
New
Flight distance : 3314 ft
United States

FantomDK Posted at 2015-5-10 08:06

Are you sure it only did it after the IMU calibration?  ...

YES I DID THE SAME THING ! MY NUMBERS WERE NOT SPOT ON SO I CALIBRATED IMU ADVANCED AND NOW YOU WILL 2 X AS LONG BEFOR YOU DID THIS. SEEMS TO FLY OK BUT YOU WAIT,WAIT,WAIT!!!
2015-6-18
Use props
FantomDK
lvl.4

Denmark

nofearmx@gmail. Posted at 2015-6-18 12:11
The IMU is a very sensitive sensor. If you have excessive "warm up" times it's because the IMU start ...

Exactly.

I've done the fridge-thing and it worked fine for me.

But if you're concerned about condensation (I saw nothing in my climate) maybe put in a very cold airconditioned room for a while - or in a car that had the aircon going full blast.

It is really worth it. Virtually zero "IMU Warming Up". Meaning - more minutes flying
2015-6-18
Use props
Mudcon
lvl.3

United States

If you take your battery out and stick your bird in the fridge for 3-4 min, take it out stick the battery in and calibrate the  IMU right away it will fix the problem.
2015-6-18
Use props
Mark D Kim
lvl.2
Flight distance : 136070 ft
United States

Mudcon Posted at 2015-6-19 00:52
If you take your battery out and stick your bird in the fridge for 3-4 min, take it out stick the ba ...

I tried the refrigerator trick. It worked. There is no IMU warm up.
2015-8-7
Use props
Mudcon
lvl.3

United States

good deal..
2015-8-7
Use props
bradneal24
lvl.3
United States

I use one of my aid conditioner vents  in my home. Just make sure the AC is running, straddle the P3 over the top of the vent for about 15 minutes, and then calibrate immediately. Just did it again with this latest FW upgrade with no warmup issues. Fires right up and is ready to go.

Hope this works for you all.

-Brad
2015-8-7
Use props
dlongcamp
lvl.4
Flight distance : 755988 ft
  • >>>
United States

Do a cold calibration and that will fix the warm up issue.  Put the phantom in front of the air conditioner for a while and do the calibration as quickly as possible on a perfectly level surface and that should fix it.  
2015-8-7
Use props
k.kavelaars
lvl.2

Netherlands

I have the same, so whe are not alone, i dit a IMU calibration for the first time because of the no conecttion problems, after this calibration it take,s indeed more time to warm up the IMU, before i never saw this mesage and could fly within seconds?
But it seems not to affect the performance, so i don,t see it as a problem, but notice it was not before calibration..
2015-8-7
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules