Overpronunced zebra (overexposure warning) pattern
676 4 2018-4-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
CemAygun
Second Officer
Flight distance : 810 ft
Turkey

As a videographer I have always loved the "zebra" overexposure warning, as unlike the underexposure, there is no turning back from OE; yet I believe this function is seriously overpronounced in the DJI GO app. Personally I find the thick lines so bold, they disorient me and hinder my composition skills.
I believe, given that you have next to nothing to remedy the situation (unless you have manually set a too slow shutter speed and can change it), this should be a much more subtle warning which does not poke you in the eye.

Even my Panasonic LX100 on it's 0.3Mp screen can manage the task with fine lines that are noticable enough yet do not distract the user. So it should be easily achievable ona a modern phone screen.

Has anyone felt the same way (or am I being silly)?

2018-4-27
Use props
WebParrot
First Officer
Flight distance : 23625 ft
  • >>>
United States

Yep... I agree.  WAY too bold, to the point of distraction.  It's "off" for me and I go with just the histogram.  If anything, if it's "looking kind of bright"  I'll go one setting darker (using ND filter) and rely on Post.  Once an image is blown out there's no capturing detail.  
2018-4-27
Use props
CemAygun
Second Officer
Flight distance : 810 ft
Turkey

WebParrot Posted at 2018-4-27 05:40
Yep... I agree.  WAY too bold, to the point of distraction.  It's "off" for me and I go with just the histogram.  If anything, if it's "looking kind of bright"  I'll go one setting darker (using ND filter) and rely on Post.  Once an image is blown out there's no capturing detail.

Absolutely, there is no turning back from a photosite "spillover"... The reason I prefer zebra over histogram is that I can decide if the overexposed (hence unsalvageable)  areas are of significance or not.

Sometimes I don't care how the background looks as long as my main subject is properly exposed (which gives me a good shot with a bad histogram).

Anyways, thanks a lot; nice to know that I am not the only one
2018-4-27
Use props
davidmartingraf
First Officer
Flight distance : 106566408 ft
  • >>>

I think this feature is useful except when screenrecording when it becomes generally unusable video footage.
2018-4-27
Use props
nywrecker
Second Officer
Flight distance : 832421 ft
United States

Agreed. A much lighter pattern would be better.
2018-4-27
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules