Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Unexpected crash
12Next >
1172 40 2018-4-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Coxy
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Hi guys,
Yesterday whilst surveying a roof (fortunately a bungalow) my P3adv. did something strange.
I had a few warning ⚠️ triangles appear on my phone, and although I didn’t read them all because I was watching the drone in horror.
There was something about low battery temperature I think, anyway as I’m an inexperienced novice flyer, I saw the warnings and pressed the return to home button but it didn’t respond as I had previously seen, it went sideways initially.
This caused it to make contact with the roof then gained altitude causing the drone to flip, once inverted it slid down the roof and dropped to the ground, it sustained a fair bit of damage (props and prop guards) but my biggest concern was how to stop the thing!! Is there no kill switch?
I eventually removed the battery pack, but as it was vibrating and moving across the ground it was risky.
Can anyone fathom what went wrong, and what I should have done?

Thanks in advance, Kev
2018-4-27
Use props
Mark The Droner
Captain
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

What was the temp outside?  Did you pre-warm the battery?  Was the battery fully charged?  

It would help of you uploaded your log here and posted the link:  http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/
2018-4-27
Use props
Coxy
lvl.1
United Kingdom

How do I find the log? I’ll happily upload it, if I knew how
2018-4-27
Use props
Coxy
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Sorry, that was the instructions you posted
2018-4-27
Use props
Coxy
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Temp was 16C
Battery was at 3bars
No I didn’t warm the battery - didn’t realise I had to??
2018-4-27
Use props
Coxy
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Flight log
33B9EB5D-E158-40AB-9120-61E1B66405C9.jpeg
2018-4-27
Use props
Mark The Droner
Captain
United States

Please read and follow the instructions conveniently provided for you within the link in post #2.  

This might be easier with a desktop or laptop computer which is connected to the internet.  You will have to connect your mobile device to the computer via a usb cable so that it's recognized as a storage device.  Then upload the flight log from your mobile device to the site per the instructions in the link.  Then post the link here so all the forum members can see it and assess the problem.  
2018-4-27
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Hi Kev, we're sorry to read the crash. Please kindly start a case and send the unit in: https://www.dji.com/support
If the drone is in warranty period, data analysis will be suggested to check the exact status. And we'll offer you a proper solution according to the analysis result.
2018-4-27
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

If the drone was sat for a while outside in the shade then it would have cooled below the the working threshold, always make sure the battery is at least 18C prior to take off and no sudden moves, make it slow and steady until the battery hits 20C, thats how i roll anyway, you can monitor the battery temp from the app, click the battery icon at the top of the screen, make a habit of keeping n eye on it, mostly at the start of flight.

To shut down, the CSC should work, if not, it might sound daft casue its already on the ground but tell it to land in the app...

Do you know the drone code chap? are you aware of the regulations surrounding our hobby?, if not see Here and Here but i have posted it below anyway, but click the links and bookmark them

• The regulations for recreational drone flights are contained within the Air Navigation Order 2016 (ANO) which is the primary document for all aviation regulations within the UK.  In order to keep the regulations at a proportionate level for these small drones, a set of specific, simpler, regulations apply to aircraft that have a mass of 20kg or less (which are termed ‘small unmanned aircraft’ within the ANO).  
    In simple terms, these regulations state that:

• you are responsible for flying your drone in a safe manner
    • you must keep the drone in your direct sight at all times while it is flying, so that you can ensure that it does not collide with anything, especially other aircraft
    • you must not endanger anyone, or any thing with your drone, including any articles that you drop from it
    • if your drone weighs more than 7kg, additional rules apply if you fly in certain types of airspace and you must not fly above 400ft above the surface
    • If your drone is fitted with a camera, there are also a number of additional limitations surrounding where you can fly it, and how close you can fly it to other uninvolved people or objects. In order to be able to fly within these areas, or closer than the minimum distances that are in the regulations, you must obtain prior Permission from the CAA to do so.
    [color=rgb(25, 52, 203) !important]How to apply for a Permission.
    The full regulations are shown below.

• Article 241 - endangering safety of any person or property
    A person must not recklessly or negligently cause or permit an aircraft to endanger
    any person or property

Article 94 - small unmanned aircraft
    (1) A person must not cause or permit any article or animal (whether or not
    attached to a parachute) to be dropped from a small unmanned aircraft so as to
    endanger persons or property.

(2) The person in charge of a small unmanned aircraft may only fly the aircraft if
    reasonably satisfied that the flight can safely be made.

(3) The person in charge of a small unmanned aircraft must maintain direct,
    unaided visual contact with the aircraft sufficient to monitor its flight path in
    relation to other aircraft, persons, vehicles, vessels and structures for the
    purpose of avoiding collisions.

(4) The person in charge of a small unmanned aircraft which has a mass of more
    than 7kg excluding its fuel but including any articles or equipment installed in or
    attached to the aircraft at the commencement of its flight, must not fly the
    aircraft:
    (a) in Class A, C, D or E airspace unless the permission of the appropriate air
    traffic control unit has been obtained;

(b) within an aerodrome traffic zone during the notified hours of watch of the
    air traffic control unit (if any) at that aerodrome unless the permission of
    any such air traffic control unit has been obtained;
    or
    (c) at a height of more than 400 feet above the surface unless it is flying in
    airspace described in sub-paragraph (a) or (b) and in accordance with the
    requirements for that airspace.
    (5) The person in charge of a small unmanned aircraft must not fly the aircraft for
    the purposes of commercial operations except in accordance with a permission granted by
    the CAA.

Article 95 - small unmanned surveillance aircraft
    (1) The person in charge of a small unmanned surveillance aircraft must not fly the
    aircraft in any of the circumstances described in paragraph (2) except in
    accordance with a permission issued by the CAA.

(2) The circumstances referred to in paragraph (1) are:
    (a) over or within 150 metres of any congested area;

(b) over or within 150 metres of an organised open-air assembly of more than
    1,000 persons;

(c) within 50 metres of any vessel, vehicle or structure which is not under the
    control of the person in charge of the aircraft;
    or
    (d) subject to paragraphs (3) and (4), within 50 metres of any person.
    (3) Subject to paragraph (4), during take-off or landing, a small unmanned
    surveillance aircraft must not be flown within 30 metres of any person.
    (4) Paragraphs (2)(d) and (3) do not apply to the person in charge of the small
    unmanned surveillance aircraft or a person under the control of the person in
    charge of the aircraft.

(5) In this article 'a small unmanned surveillance aircraft' means a small unmanned
    aircraft which is equipped to undertake any form of surveillance or data
    acquisition.

First Person View
Drones that are fitted with video cameras often provide an opportunity to downlink ‘live’ video to the person flying the drone either via a mobile phone, tablet computer or other screen, or even through video goggles - this capability provides the operator with a pseudo ‘pilots eye view’ from the drone itself and is generally given the term ‘First Person view’ (FPV).
However, the law [at ANO article 94(3)] requires that the person in charge of a drone must maintain direct unaided visual contact with the aircraft which is sufficient to monitor its flight path so that collisions may be avoided.  This is obviously not possible if that person is wearing video goggles or otherwise constantly monitoring a display.  Therefore, FPV flight is only permitted if the activity has been approved by the CAA.  A General Exemption has been issued which allows an element of ‘First Person View’ (FPV) flight to be conducted.  
Guidance on the exemption and the conditions that must be observed whilst employing this privilege.
If you wish to conduct an FPV flight which cannot be accommodated within the terms of this General Exemption, then you will need to apply to the CAA for an exemption to do so.
Note: Images captured by a camera and displayed on a flat screen afford the pilot little by way of depth perception and no peripheral vision. This can make it difficult for the pilot to accurately judge speed and distance and to maintain sufficient awareness of the area surrounding the aircraft to effectively ‘see and avoid’ obstacles and other aircraft.
The use of FPV equipment is not an acceptable mitigation for Beyond Visual Line of Sight flight unless the relevant operator has received a specific approval to do so from the CAA.
Indoor use
The regulations make no distinction between flights made indoors or in the open; the whole safety criteria continue to apply.  Notwithstanding this, certain hazard factors are heavily mitigated by the fact that the aircraft is flying in an enclosed environment and access to the venue can be controlled.  People within the building, and who may be exposed to a hazard by the flight, should meet the criteria for ‘persons under the control of the person in charge of the aircraft’ or else have safety precautions taken on their account (e.g. safety netting, tethered drone, etc).  
Minor indoor recreational use of a very small and light ‘toy’ drones is not generally regarded as having the same safety implications as for larger drones used outdoors.

2018-4-27
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

If you were surveying a roof, then I suspect you were not more that 20 Metres away from the controller or take-off point. This would go some way towards explaining what the aircraft did. Pressing the RTH button within a 20 Metre radius of the take-off point will cause the aircraft tro descend where it is.
2018-4-27
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Bashy Posted at 2018-4-27 20:10
If the drone was sat for a while outside in the shade then it would have cooled below the the working threshold, always make sure the battery is at least 18C prior to take off and no sudden moves, make it slow and steady until the battery hits 20C, thats how i roll anyway, you can monitor the battery temp from the app, click the battery icon at the top of the screen, make a habit of keeping n eye on it, mostly at the start of flight.

To shut down, the CSC should work, if not, it might sound daft casue its already on the ground but tell it to land in the app...

'To shut down, the CSC should work, if not, it might sound daft casue its already on the ground but tell it to land in the app...'

It is generally known that if the aircraft is upside-down, the CSC does not work. It seems the software has a priority to get the aircraft up the right way, and while it is trying to do that, it ignores all other commands.
2018-4-27
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Geebax Posted at 2018-4-27 21:41
'To shut down, the CSC should work, if not, it might sound daft casue its already on the ground but tell it to land in the app...'

It is generally known that if the aircraft is upside-down, the CSC does not work. It seems the software has a priority to get the aircraft up the right way, and while it is trying to do that, it ignores all other commands.

Ah ok thanks, good to know, the landing in the app may not also then, i do know landing works if you activate it whilst holding the ac as i had to after a tipping incident and it wouldnt shut down for what ever reason, i had to pick it up and was about to remove the battery but it looks dangerous so i tried the landing in the app and that worked ok.

So if landing also wouldnt work in this chaps case, is his only option to then up right it, hold it and then choose landing?
2018-4-27
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Bashy Posted at 2018-4-27 21:51
Ah ok thanks, good to know, the landing in the app may not also then, i do know landing works if you activate it whilst holding the ac as i had to after a tipping incident and it wouldnt shut down for what ever reason, i had to pick it up and was about to remove the battery but it looks dangerous so i tried the landing in the app and that worked ok.

So if landing also wouldnt work in this chaps case, is his only option to then up right it, hold it and then choose landing?

Yes, that should work. As would tipping it up the right way and doing a CSC, but is is really hard to do because you need at least three hands to do it.
2018-4-27
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Geebax Posted at 2018-4-27 21:55
Yes, that should work. As would tipping it up the right way and doing a CSC, but is is really hard to do because you need at least three hands to do it.

yeah, for sure, that was the issue i had, picking it up is fine, putting it down is another ball game, not to mention that if some how you managed to set it down, it could tip again if the motors decide to rev up :/

I think they need a tilt switch
2018-4-27
Use props
Coxy
lvl.1
United Kingdom

As I understand it, this drone isn’t really considered a stunt vehicle for 3D acrobatics etc, I thought that it would shut down after being inverted say for 10 seconds.
Obviously I’m inexperienced and was panicking a little having just watched it crash after behaving in a manner I hadn’t expected.
I’m guessing it’ll basically come down to me not knowing enough, but all I could think to do to shut it down was to pull the battery.
Net result, four damaged props, two damaged prop guards and a few cosmetic scratches on the body - doesn’t appear to be anything structurally wrong with it, so £50 should see it back at 100% again.
2018-4-28
Use props
Mark The Droner
Captain
United States

If my Phantom was upside down on the ground with motors spinning at high speed, and assuming I had my controller in left hand with a lanyard around my neck, I would:

1)  Calmly pause a moment to be sure the area around you is clear of people

2)  Grasp the landing gear firmly with right hand and pull Phantom to an upright position and then hold Phantom very still as if it had landed on the ground upright

3)  Move controller left stick down with fingers of left hand and hold for 3 secs.  

Motors will stop.   

Still waiting for the log

2018-4-28
Use props
Coxy
lvl.1
United Kingdom

I screenshotted the log. I don’t know how to do anything else
2018-4-28
Use props
Mark The Droner
Captain
United States

Coxy Posted at 2018-4-28 13:23

Do you know how to connect your mobile device to a desktop or laptop via a usb cable?  
2018-4-28
Use props
Labroides
Captain
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Coxy Posted at 2018-4-28 13:23

Go to the link in post #2.
Follow the instructions you find there.
Then come back and post a link to the report it shows you.
2018-4-28
Use props
Coxy
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Right, I think I’ve figured the problem, my DJI is a phone app and the file is on my laptop - think I need to have the DJI on the laptop then perhaps the log will upload to here??
2018-4-28
Use props
Labroides
Captain
  • >>>
Australia

Coxy Posted at 2018-4-28 16:00
Right, I think I’ve figured the problem, my DJI is a phone app and the file is on my laptop - think I need to have the DJI on the laptop then perhaps the log will upload to here??

The file you need is on your phone.
All you need to do is in post #19.
2018-4-28
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Mark The Droner Posted at 2018-4-28 11:52
If my Phantom was upside down on the ground with motors spinning at high speed, and assuming I had my controller in left hand with a lanyard around my neck, I would:

1)  Calmly pause a moment to be sure the area around you is clear of people

Not always the case, the left stick down does not always work after a situation like this, my experience it didnt work, when i picked it up it kept revving and wanting to fly away, left stick down didnt work , only thing that would was to hit land in the app
2018-4-28
Use props
Mark The Droner
Captain
United States

Bashy Posted at 2018-4-28 20:05
Not always the case, the left stick down does not always work after a situation like this, my experience it didnt work, when i picked it up it kept revving and wanting to fly away, left stick down didnt work , only thing that would was to hit land in the app

You must hold the AC very still.  Otherwise it thinks it's still flying.  

I should have made that clear above - my bad
2018-4-29
Use props
Coxy
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Now I’m well and truly confused, the only thing that’s on my phone is a flight plan which when I look at it shows a google earth image and a tracing of where it flew, there is no log as such. I did follow the instructions in the 1st reply - got a log come up, and saved it to a file on the laptop, what I couldn’t figure out was how to get it from the laptop back to my phone. I thought that it was because I wasn’t on the forum through my laptop, now you say it’s been on my phone the whole time???
Shoot me now!! Way above my pay grade this is
2018-4-29
Use props
Labroides
Captain
  • >>>
Australia

Coxy Posted at 2018-4-29 04:12
Now I’m well and truly confused, the only thing that’s on my phone is a flight plan which when I look at it shows a google earth image and a tracing of where it flew, there is no log as such. I did follow the instructions in the 1st reply - got a log come up, and saved it to a file on the laptop, what I couldn’t figure out was how to get it from the laptop back to my phone. I thought that it was because I wasn’t on the forum through my laptop, now you say it’s been on my phone the whole time???
Shoot me now!! Way above my pay grade this is

It's saved by the app and the link gives you instructions to find it and upload to Phantomhelp.com
2018-4-29
Use props
Coxy
lvl.1
United Kingdom

I’m sorry, either I’m being incredibly thick or something isn’t working??
I followed the instructions - plugged it into iTunes as per the photo instructions, I saved the file, I’ve viewed the file but it was .DAT not TXT as it said in the link??
I couldn’t figure how to get that saved file to the phone (as explained, the app is on my phone not the laptop) so I screenshotted it and posted the screenshot.
I simply cannot find anything within the phone app or indeed the phones files that could be related to DJI - like I say, the only thing I’ve found is a google earth picture with the flight plotted onto it.
I know I’m a complete newbie but I didn’t think I was stupid
2018-4-29
Use props
Mark The Droner
Captain
United States

What phone do you have?
2018-4-29
Use props
Coxy
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Update:
I'm now on my laptop, on the forum. The phone is plugged into iTunes and I've followed the link.
I'm still getting a .dat file not a TXT.
I'm on windows not Mac, I'm running windows 10.
iTunes is the latest version.
My iPhone is an iPhone X and is up to date with the latest iOS version.
2018-4-29
Use props
Coxy
lvl.1
United Kingdom

I have now found the TXT file, I can see it and it has 3 options:
download KML
download CSV
download flight log

I've tried the upload option in the blue box above where I'm typing now, but nothing seems to happen? It just keeps moving side to side as if it's trying, but it was doing that for ages and ages.
2018-4-29
Use props
Coxy
lvl.1
United Kingdom

http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/D1C1AUKM9D6Q9K5DU9T5/
2018-4-29
Use props
Coxy
lvl.1
United Kingdom

http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/6BK425SP1NET1UDGMK18/
2018-4-29
Use props
Coxy
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Are these them?
2018-4-29
Use props
Eric13
Captain
Flight distance : 13430925 ft
  • >>>

Here are your two logs as shown in Google Earth.
You definitely had a battery problem.The rest I leave for the specialists:
Google 1.jpg
Google 2.jpg
2018-4-29
Use props
Coxy
lvl.1
United Kingdom

I’m just happy to have discovered how to follow the instructions
2018-4-29
Use props
Eric13
Captain
Flight distance : 13430925 ft
  • >>>

Coxy Posted at 2018-4-29 07:42
I’m just happy to have discovered how to follow the instructions

Yes - every step of learning is always joyful :-)
I recommend you make yourself familiar with RTH procedures (there is no RTH in a radius of 20m around you)
and battery temperature.
Happy reading! :-)
2018-4-29
Use props
Mark The Droner
Captain
United States

Congrats on getting the upload done and the link posted.

From your two logs, it seems the ambient temp was probably colder than the 16C you stated earlier.

My knee-jerk assessment is that

1)  You must never launch your AC unless you have a fully charged battery

2)  You must always be sure your battery is WARM before launch.  IMO, warm is at least 20C, I'd prefer 25C, but opinions vary.

And so I suspect one or both of these things likely caused a critical autoland problem, but let's see what Labroides has to say...

2018-4-29
Use props
Coxy
lvl.1
United Kingdom

The 16c was from my van dashboard display, so possibly isn’t accurate?
The battery was showing 3/4 charge which for a 5 minute flight I had intended, should have been plenty.
All of this is new to me as being a novice pilot.
I will take all these comments on board and hopefully have no future problems
2018-4-29
Use props
Mark The Droner
Captain
United States

Coxy Posted at 2018-4-29 09:39
The 16c was from my van dashboard display, so possibly isn’t accurate?
The battery was showing 3/4 charge which for a 5 minute flight I had intended, should have been plenty.
All of this is new to me as being a novice pilot.

It appears your battery dropped in temp to below 15C between the two flights, so ambient temp must have been below 15C.  

The log shows 56% charge and 51% charge for your two launches.  But even 3/4 of a charge is not adequate.  The duration of the flight doesn't matter either.   You must have 4/4 of a charge, 100% charge, a full charge, to launch your DJI Phantom and fly safely.  

See the top of page 3 here:  http://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/p ... _Guidelines__en.pdf

Welcome to the site!  

2018-4-29
Use props
Coxy
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Does the battery not develop a memory if before every flight it is charged? How many cycles is a battery good for?
There is also some disparity between displayed battery charge and actual charge then? I had 3 leds showing before flight
2018-4-29
Use props
Mark The Droner
Captain
United States

-There's no memory

-Something like 200 cycles, I think?  

-You need 4 LEDS showing before flight - even a one minute flight.  Otherwise there is a pronounced risk your Phantom will misbehave and do things you don't expect.  
2018-4-29
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules